Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hondo's plans for a huge tower on Pope's Road, Brixton and the Brixton Project

I took part in the early Brixton Masterplan consultations. Encouraged to do so in order to make sure development of Brixton worked for all.

Looking at how developers are using the Masterplan makes me wish I hadn't taken part in it.

Its now being used by developers to support there schemes.

It looks to me that the main players in Brixton now are Squires, Hondo, Network rail and Lexadon.

The Council is relegated to an impotent bystander.

This isn't democracy. Its , at local level, the replacement of democracy by small group of powerful business. Who will develop Brixton as they see fit.

Its like a return to the nineteenth century when people depended on good will philanthropy of the rich.

And now there will be insinuations that those who are critical are prejudiced. Even if they don't see it themselves.
Their. Their. Their. Their. Not There. There is a house. Their house is theirs. PLEASE.

The colour of the company boss absolutely irrelevant: bad design is bad design and to try and label anyone who finds fault with it as being 'racist' is ridiculous and divisive, and it's an argument I'm not going to tolerate.
I agree - but since when has design ever been a planning consideration in Lambeth?

From the Urban Dictionary:

Top definition ... Dude there's a big ass party in Hondo tonight. ... I think I just took the worlds fastest hondo (appropriate for use after a case of diahreaha).

Oh, they've quietly introduced the idea of a hotel to be bolted on to their Tower Of Unknown Height

According to the consultation, Hondo and Adjaye Associates are also ’considering the possibility’ of incorporating a hotel to the east of the Pope’s Road Development.

’This will look to accommodate the increased demand of visitors in Brixton as we aim to promote Brixton including its historic and vibrant market to the world,’ it says.

A spokesperson for Hondo said: ’[Next] to Brixton Village this offers a unique opportunity to extend the footprint of the market by opening it up on to Brixton Station Road, to create a more publicly accessible space for the benefit of existing traders and visitors. As Brixton becomes a growing business hub this will allow for additional commercial employment space above the new market.

‘These plans will celebrate the identity, history and culture of Brixton.’

Adjaye Associates reveals designs for Brixton Market development

And here's another dishonest image giving no idea as to how high the fucking thing is going to be:

2019-05-21_164023.jpg

Am I missing something here, but where's the road gone?

Oh, and here's some no-doubt 'racist' observations from readers:

SEAN GRIFFITHS21 MAY, 2019 8:48 AM
No! No! No! An awful piece of gentrification. Where is the critique AJ?

ANDREW BUDD21 MAY, 2019 9:43 AM
Absolutely! When this is completed little if any of the community its intended to address will be there any more having been 'cleansed' by an influx of chain restaurants and hipsters.

WALTER MENTETH21 MAY, 2019 10:10 AM
Where is the critique AJ? Not only re impacts to the existing community & its social value, but for example does this finally include a much needed Brixton station on the London Overground & Vic. line tube interconnection?

MICHAEL BADU21 MAY, 2019 10:12 AM
I'm with Sean and Andrew on this. I would just add that it seems like quite a nice building, but it's in the wrong place and those skylights look impossible? Just when you thought there's already been peak gentrification there. Where's the critique in indeed AJ?

Adjaye Associates reveals designs for Brixton Market development

Oh, they've quietly introduced the idea of a hotel to be bolted on to their Tower Of Unknown Height

And here's another dishonest image giving no idea as to how high the fucking thing is going to be:

View attachment 171692

Am I missing something here, but where's the road gone?

I was walking by the site today on way home. Went down Valentia place.

Looking at the foot print of this development some of the business in the arches could have to go.

This may affect the Bureau of Silly Ideas.

It is likely imo they will talk to Network rail about the arches.

I see the arches by this new development will extend Brixtons shopping experience. Oh great.:rolleyes:3153306_popes_road_exhibiton_boards61.jpg

Why does this look like a futuristic dystopia? It does to me.

I know people rave about Brixton Market and Borough Market - but just in the course of viewing on of those vox pops on TV re the election tomorrow, they did one from the market in Leeds. Leeds Kirkgate Market pisses all over ours. Clearly the only reason its unknown here is the sort of racism against northerners that exists in the ne're do well drunken elites of Brixton.
1024px-Leeds_City_Markets_24_June_2018_2.jpg
From Trip adviser:
I love Leeds market with its huge amount of stalls selling everything from posh delicatessen produce to plug fuses. Big enough to wander around for ages and great for cheap street food and fresh fish.

I know people rave about Brixton Market and Borough Market - but just in the course of viewing on of those vox pops on TV re the election tomorrow, they did one from the market in Leeds. Leeds Kirkgate Market pisses all over ours. Clearly the only reason its unknown here is the sort of racism against northerners that exists in the ne're do well drunken elites of Brixton.
View attachment 171744
From Trip adviser:
I love Leeds market with its huge amount of stalls selling everything from posh delicatessen produce to plug fuses. Big enough to wander around for ages and great for cheap street food and fresh fish.
There's loads of better 'normal' markets around - Cardiff has a fine one too - but Lambeth and the rich kid Hondo bunch aren't interested in catering to the less well-off. This is all about foodies, tourists, cocktail bars, hipster shops, posh wine and craft beer outlets, groovy hotels and fucking DJs everywhere. They want to turn the place into a in-flight magazine-friendly 'destination' for the well off. Like a soulless Camden laced with faux-edginess.

I was walking by the site today on way home. Went down Valentia place.

Looking at the foot print of this development some of the business in the arches could have to go.

This may affect the Bureau of Silly Ideas.

It is likely imo they will talk to Network rail about the arches.
the architect on duty on Saturday said the businesses in the arches would still be there but might have to move during construct (where have we heard that before), some of the arches have better more secure leases than the ones on Atlantic Road, however..........

If the new landlords want the Arch tenants out trust me they will get them out with their proven track record used all over London and recently used on Phase 1 of Atlantic / Station Rd Traders i.e loss of ‘ enhanced compensation ‘ if they argue , losing your right to return after the ‘ refurb ‘ etc , more bullshit , etc

What is your point exactly?
The website you have linked to is Sir David Adjaye's company.
Moreover if you download the pdf file linked to by Brixton Buzz the section headed "Design Team" has a picture of Adjaye's National Museum of African American Culture Washington DC heading up that section.
View attachment 171433
I have a slight sympathy for Devvon's point. I can't think of any Brixton Buzz article concerning a black architect. Moreover the late Zaha Hadid - Evelyn Grace Academy - seemed to attract massive approval.

In view of the current furore I rather wish I'd gone to the consultation instead of Sainsbury's!

Adjaye is also behind the proposed abortion of a Holocaust Memorial in Victoria Tower Gardens, next to Parliament. There's already a Holocaust Memorial in Hyde Park, but Adjaye wants to introduce one with an "education centre" attached, which will totally fuck the surrounding area which is already saturated with coaches parking up, and will eat 1/3rd of an already-small park. Adjaye's justification for his golden toast-rack (the kindest description I can give for his carbuncle) is that it will "disrupt" the thinking of park users.

I've visited Holocaust Memorial in Berlin, Budapest and Vienna, as well as Hyde Park. They all have an air of dignity and solemnity about them. Adjaye's toast-rack doesn't suit the park or the subject.

Adjaye is also behind the proposed abortion of a Holocaust Memorial in Victoria Tower Gardens, next to Parliament. There's already a Holocaust Memorial in Hyde Park, but Adjaye wants to introduce one with an "education centre" attached, which will totally fuck the surrounding area which is already saturated with coaches parking up, and will eat 1/3rd of an already-small park. Adjaye's justification for his golden toast-rack (the kindest description I can give for his carbuncle) is that it will "disrupt" the thinking of park users.

I've visited Holocaust Memorial in Berlin, Budapest and Vienna, as well as Hyde Park. They all have an air of dignity and solemnity about them. Adjaye's toast-rack doesn't suit the park or the subject.
Judging by the "London Society" website this could be another Garden Bridge, where it doesn't happen, and millions of pounds gets wasted.

There might be a strong case for such a facility in Stamford Hill or Golders Green.
You are right the Westminster area is over-congested. I suppose David Adjaye and his sponsors are looking to rival Berlin as you seem to intimate.

However this is to stray from Popes Road - and seems a tad ad hominem IYAM!

Love or loathe Adjaye’s design, he didn’t stipulate either the site or the inclusion of a learning centre. We have one David Cameron to thank for that.

The ten shortlisted entries are here: UK Holocaust Memorial International Design Competition

Reactions: CH1
Love or loathe Adjaye’s design, he didn’t stipulate either the site or the inclusion of a learning centre. We have one David Cameron to thank for that.

The ten shortlisted entries are here: UK Holocaust Memorial International Design Competition

I find this rather distasteful use of the Holocaust.
Envisaged as a place for everyone to come to remember the Holocaust, as well as a focal point for annual national commemorations, the Memorial will affirm the United Kingdom’s commitment to stand up against prejudice and hatred. It is intended to inspire reflection and compassion, and encourage present and future generations to respect and embrace difference. In parallel, a new Learning Centre is planned, subject to technical, financial, planning or other constraints, which will advance Holocaust education across the United Kingdom and help visitors develop a deeper understanding of how societal breakdown can, in the worst cases, lead to genocide.

Its about bigging up UK defeating Hitler. Which yes is true. But UK history isn't exactly all about standing up to prejudice. I'd rather a centre about UK involvement in slavery and the way this country plundered and oppressed other countries in the Empire.

This monument is not about the Holocaust its about saying look what a great tolerant country UK is because we fought Hitler.

Forgetting previous centuries.

Be kind of useful if this discussion was focussed on the huge redevelopment that is taking place in Brixton and the stuff about Churchill, holocaust memorials and whatnots spun off into a more relevant thread in a more relevant forum.

Be kind of useful if this discussion was focussed on the huge redevelopment that is taking place in Brixton and the stuff about Churchill, holocaust memorials and whatnots spun off into a more relevant thread in a more relevant forum.

Is a fair point. I just waded in misreading the thread about involving *Honda’s* plans for Brixton.

And *of course* you care about what’s happening to your manor. International capital does have a way of coming along and fucking up the things you love.

Maybe a thread split?

Interesting discussion on the Buzz article. The point about higher levels getting much less footfall is bang on.

Ironically they seem to be trying to recreate the Elephant Shopping Centre – just as Delauncey are evicting the Elephant shops and businesses prior to its demolition.
I agree that the Hondo pictures do seems to reference Brutalism. Personally I’d rather have that style than “London Vernacular” brick and glass oblongs. But its all a matter of taste.
I would suggest that multi-level shopping often fails to work. If you are into railway-related schemes, the Elephant Shopping Centre had the advantage of passenger footfall at both upper and ground levels. The same type of shopping facility at Clapham Junction could not support an upper floor – because passengers passed through at ground level only.
Interesting point on multi-level shopping. The only place I can think that it really works is in huge shopping malls (Westfield type places big enough to bring ‘destination’ retailers to the upper floor or have multi-level shops). Otherwise the upper floor gets the second tier retailers, lower footfall and you have self fulfilling decline. Worse the smaller the shops – the old market arcades of Cardiff has the same problem.
Major vibrancy-creating redevelopment proposed for Pope’s Road in Brixton – and Hondo’s half-arsed consultation

This seems in line with the masterplan that's been around for some years - it's an ugly and under-used part of central Brixton, sandwiched between two railway lines. Looked at on google earth that space seems very underused at the moment.

The proximity of the railway lines means shops and office space make more sense than housing (until you get very high, hence a taller tower here. I don't have an issue with that either - there's already a 15 storey council block nearby but between the tracks seems more appropriate than anywhere else in Brixton). Offices mean more daytime foot traffic - that's good for local shops cafe's and restaurants.

Personally I like the brutalism and the concept of an upper floor of shops meeting double height arches.

Issues? the retail units look small. I always understood one of the issues in Brixton was the small size of the retail units - most too small for larger chains which bring in the footfall that makes smaller places viable (which is why shopping malls fight to bring in 'anchor tenants' like M&S and John Lewis). High street retail is tough though - most big chains are shinking. Two storey shopping centres don't seem to work at a small scale - the upper units are less desirable and cheaper so the prime outlets go at ground level meaning little traffic on second floor which goes steadily downhill (upper units in old arcades in Cardiff don't work). Really big shopping malls seem to be the only exception. This looks like it's going to create small units which will be newly fitted out with high rents. Not sure who's going to fill them.

This seems in line with the masterplan that's been around for some years - it's an ugly and under-used part of central Brixton, sandwiched between two railway lines. Looked at on google earth that space seems very underused at the moment.
Not to the artists who have been happily using them for decades! They'll be out on their arse soon to make way for MORE bars and restaurants and upmarket tourists shops.

Not to the artists who have been happily using them for decades! They'll be out on their arse soon to make way for MORE bars and restaurants and upmarket tourists shops.
Ok - didn't realise they were artists using them. Always looked like a lot of junk storage from the outside or even looking down from the sports direct rooftop.

Low cost artist studios, or workshops for "makers" are a real issue in London. It shouldn't be beyond the planners to designate space in redevelopments for particular uses but it never seems to actually happen.

Ok - didn't realise they were artists using them. Always looked like a lot of junk storage from the outside or even looking down from the sports direct rooftop.

Low cost artist studios, or workshops for "makers" are a real issue in London. It shouldn't be beyond the planners to designate space in redevelopments for particular uses but it never seems to actually happen.
That's probably because artist workshops don't make enough $$$. Just look what happened at Peckham Levels - the bid to build loads of useful small studios was rejected in place of an awful Pop Brixton MkII.

Back
Top Bottom