Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hold your nose and vote Labour?

Will you vote Labour?

• Yes

Votes: 70 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 148 67.9%

• Total voters
As if they're losing 'far left' votes to the Green Party. The GP is pretty centrist soft left to the core, literally no-one connected to them could be described as far left in any meaningful sense. And they might not be worried but it is a potential problem for them - a lot of their voters in some places are those sorts of people.
I'm not so sure about this. Out in the countryside, I'd be inclined to expect posh nimby types... but in the city where I live, I'm noticing former Labour lefts, broad left and ex-anarcho involvement. The Greens PCC election flyer here had a fair bit of ceasefire in Palestine stuff.

Still bobbins, mind.

The Greens do have targets which a significantly leftwards shift might disrupt particularly at council level (Mid Suffolk, for example, which flipped from Tory), but most of their core target seats are Labour or SNP, with right-leaning constituencies being largely stretch goals, so an influx of motivated lefties probably wouldn't do that much short-term harm (though with the caveat that it might also provoke an internal wrangle).

this is why I called it a bad move regardless of the temporary 'making the tories look weak' thing on the other thread. Its obvious even stalwarts like Silas are going to be srsly fucked off with this.
As if they're losing 'far left' votes to the Green Party. The GP is pretty centrist soft left to the core, literally no-one connected to them could be described as far left in any meaningful sense. And they might not be worried but it is a potential problem for them - a lot of their voters in some places are those sorts of people.
the great re-imagining of the last ten years where hardened blairite privatisers started claiming the title social democrat and everybody else was relegated to hard/far left. Populism and so on. The guardian has been helpful on instructing people about the new status of participants whose politics have broadly remained the same but are now getting new labels for reasons left unclear by same august organ

The Greens do have targets which a significantly leftwards shift might disrupt particularly at council level (Mid Suffolk, for example, which flipped from Tory), but most of their core target seats are Labour or SNP, with right-leaning constituencies being largely stretch goals, so an influx of motivated lefties probably wouldn't do that much short-term harm (though with the caveat that it might also provoke an internal wrangle).

They've only got four target seats this time around. Brighton & Bristol Central, obvs, plus Waveney Valley and North Herefordshire. I imagine the messaging will be rather different in each seat.

They've only got four target seats this time around. Brighton & Bristol Central, obvs, plus Waveney Valley and North Herefordshire. I imagine the messaging will be rather different in each seat.
That last sentence is definitely worth bearing in mind.

If I judge the Greens solely on their recent campaign literature for the London Mayor and Assembly elections, their policies there  were what I would regard as to the left of Labour, which is not the same as hard left.

I'd agree with those suggesting that their leftishness can best be described as soft, but that's more than Labour are currently offering.

well i'd be described as 'far left' by parliamentary standards, and I've voted Green and will probably do so in the GE. Purely because my constituency is safe Labour and I don't want to vote for those cunts. My reasoning may be specious, but addressing climate change seems more important than anything right now, what with it being a plausible existential threat. The Greens are clearer about what needs to be done than any of the other choices. Their other policies are far more radical than any of Labour's. They're still a political party and therefore stuffed with clearly deplorable people with a lot of bitter internal divisions and I also dimly recall some ideologically unsound behaviour towards striking binmen in Brighton. BUT who else is there? It's either them or Spunking Cocknballs

Yeah, for a long time I've wanted to ask all these apparently politically-literate politicians, commentators, etc,

a) if they genuinely can't imagine anything further to the left than the people they label extreme/hard left
b) what they would say is the right-wing equivalent of this so-called 'hard left'.

They'd bullshit an answer, but at least you'd then be able to immediately call them out as an idiot.

This doesn’t actually bother me too much. A government-in-waiting has to adhere to diplomatic niceties, fun as it would be simply to cunt Trump off.

Every vote they lose on the far left they'll pick up 2-3 elsewhere; I don't think their worried at all...

The Labour left is a significant part of the electorate and of the Labour Party, IMO Labour's collapse in Scotland came about in part because Labour's core vote finally had a credible place to turn to other than Labour.

Take the Mayoral election in the North East - independent Corbynite Jamie Driscoll managed to take 28.2% of the vote to Labour's 41% and Tories 11%, it probably would have been higher if not for the inherent disadvantage an independent candidate has in building brand recognition. That's quite a significant bite into the Labour vote, and if the Greens manage to win a couple of new seats in the next general election then they will become really the first credible left alternative to Labour in their history and could eat substantially into their vote.

Presumably at the behest of Morgan McSweeney, media personality and aspiring Foreign Secretary, The Right Honourable David Lammy PC FRSA MP, continues his campaign to become a national embarrassment in his quest to become Sir Keir Starmer KCB KC MP's best (and only?) 'Black' friend:

41089434-9415139-image-a-3_1617039064930.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Mandela's grandson labels British politician Lammy an ‘apologist’ for genocide

Mandela's grandson criticises UK Labour's David Lammy, calls pro-Palestine protesters 'heroes'

Back
Top Bottom