Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help me fill my Wire void!

punchdrunkme

the fuck I do?
So I have just demolished all 5 seasons of the wire. Which was of course fantastic.

I like to watch a good couple me hours of film or tv a night. Now I dont usually watch Tv prefering films but now I want everything to be the wire. And remember how good it is to get stuck into a decent series. I have exhausted all my films for the moment and I have no wire left and now there is a hole! :)

So please urban recommend me some great Tv shows. Thanks :)

I should probably add that the thing I liked most about the wire is being treated as intelligent. I liked the depth of the stories and characters so something equally deep would be good. Crime is a particular favourite subject for me with entertainment too esp if portrayed honestly without cliche. Thanks all. :)

Breaking Bad - high school chemistry teacher discovers he has terminal cancer, so decides to cook crystal meth to provide for his family.

Dexter - a serial killer who works as a police department blood spatter analyst.

Homicide: Life On The Street - pre-Wire Baltimore police procedural from the same team. (Avoid later series.)

The Corner - again, same team, this time doing a mini-series based on real people involved in street-level drug culture in Baltimore.

Oz - unrelenting US prison nation drama from HBO. (Again, avoid later series.)

Oh, and there's an Australian series called Underbelly, based on the Melbourne criminal underworld and the high-bodycount gang war waged throughout the 90s and 00s. The original series is awesome, the follow-up (subtitled A Tale Of Two Cities) is much less worth your time.

Generation Kill

same writer as the wire, based on his accounts of his time with the recon marines in Iraq 1

Both funny, tragic and wtf by turns

Nice one. A few people have recommended homicide: Life on the street. Going to get that downloaded.

They all look really good. Thanks. :)

If you've not watched Oz, buy the first four seasons immediately. 48 hours will just fly by :cool:

Generation Kill

same writer as the wire, based on his accounts of his time with the recon marines in Iraq 1

Both funny, tragic and wtf by turns

Ah I have seen that mentioned before but have avoided it because I have always been disappointed with Tv shows about wars. But on that recommendation I will watch it. Esp with it being the writers me the wire. :D

If you've not watched Oz, buy the first four seasons immediately. 48 hours will just fly by :cool:

I think I will. I caught a few episodes years ago but wasnt that impressed. Think they may have been a later series though. I can remember thinking at the time it was a interesting concept and could turn out to be a great show. Downloading now! :)

Breaking Bad - high school chemistry teacher discovers he has terminal cancer, so decides to cook crystal meth to provide for his family.

Dexter - a serial killer who works as a police department blood spatter analyst.

Homicide: Life On The Street - pre-Wire Baltimore police procedural from the same team. (Avoid later series.)

The Corner - again, same team, this time doing a mini-series based on real people involved in street-level drug culture in Baltimore.

Oz - unrelenting US prison nation drama from HBO. (Again, avoid later series.)

I loved The Wire but I'm loving Breaking Bad even more.

Yep, definitely Generation Kill and Breaking Bad.

The original Edge of Darkness. Sopranos maybe for the quality of writing, but it's soooo slow.

Deadwood.

"In life you have to do a lot of things you don't fucking want to do. Many times, that's what the fuck life is... one vile fucking task after another"

al.jpg

And another vote for Generation Kill. I think G.K is the reason why I was pretty underwhelmed by The Hurt Locker.

third for Deadwood - wonderful, original, lyrical.

Gen Kill is also impressive, though I suspect partly because everything else of that genre is dubious and/or ropey.

Many rave about The Shield, not yet seen it.

Another vote for this excellent drama.

I take it you have watched Band of Brothers? If not, then do so!

Another vote for this excellent drama.

I take it you have watched Band of Brothers? If not, then do so!
That and The Pacific too - BoB first I suppose.

Obviously The Pacific hasn't finished yet, but BoB was very good. There's not really a strong overarching storyline except for a couple of key characters, but it was extremely high quality and very humbling in parts.

SONS OF ANARCHY - i normally hate US programmes but this is excellent - good story on each episode , on Five USA a couple of times a week

Sort of - the book's by Wright, but the adaptation is by Simon, Burns & Wright together.

SONS OF ANARCHY - i normally hate US programmes but this is excellent - good story on each episode , on Five USA a couple of times a week

oh yeah, good show. 'White trash Soprano's'. Good soundtrack and the whole show is drenched in bike oil and awesome. Hamlet in a leather jacket :cool:

Carnivale is a great show.
Only two series of it but massive production values.

Have you seen Mad Men yet?

Back
Top Bottom