Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Has the Queen died?

I very much doubt it. I think that this is the royal household and their craven contacts at the Cabinet Office pulling a fast one and pretending that protocol is law. It’s illegal, because of the “by appointment” nonsense, to pretend that one’s establishment has royal patronage, but I’d very much like to see the legislation that protects dead Windsors, and any evidence that the countless Queen Victoria pubs named since her death had to seek approval.
A quick Google finds a fair bit, Section 4 and Section 99 of the Trade Marks Act covers the use of the royal monikers and apparently it gets a mention in the Paris Conventions as well

Reactions: Chz
A quick Google finds a fair bit, Section 4 and Section 99 of the Trade Marks Act covers the use of the royal monikers and apparently it gets a mention in the Paris Conventions as well

Lots of protection for the monarch and for the royal arms, but nothing that applies to the dead. And anyway, a pub name isn’t a trademark.

What I suspect is that you can name your pub "The Duke of York", and you can even (based on experience in Fitzroiva) have an artist's impression of Andrew on the sign. But what you can't do (though fuck knows why you would want to) is name your pub "Andrew, Duke of York".

I object to any memorial being put in a park

Taking public land and giving it over to the royals

Stick any memorial in one of the palaces where only monarchists plonkers can see it

It’s not quite public land - St James Park is crown land, administered by the Royal Parks charity. Restoring it to public ownership will take guillotines.

It’s not quite public land - St James Park is crown land, administered by the Royal Parks charity. Restoring it to public ownership will take guillotines.
No, it just needs an act of Parliament. Is there such a thing as "public land"?

From Wikipedia.

“The Crown Estate has an urban portfolio that “includes the entirety of Regent Street and around half of St James's in London's West End as well as retail property across the UK in locations including Oxford, Exeter, Nottingham, Newcastle, Harlow, and Swansea.”

Look at all these shopping centres that the Crown Estate owns. Blimey.

Shopping centres
Retail parks
Cheltenham's Gallagher Retail Park and Warwick's Leamington Shopping Park are owned 50/50 through "The Gibraltar Limited Partnership" with The Hercules Unit Trust, a Jersey-based property unit trust. The estate recently purchased the new Rushden Lakes site in Northamptonshire from its developers.

The entirety of Regent Street ... half of St James ...

All the shopping centres should put up trademarked statues of their former landlady.

Who said she did nothing for the people? Let the shopping centres be her true memorial(s).

The entirety of Regent Street ... half of St James ...

All the shopping centres should put up trademarked statues of their former landlady.

Who said she did nothing for the people? Let the shopping centres be her true memorial(s).
I am trying to understand the Crown Estate. It seems that is not actually owned by the Monarch. It is a state body, but a kind of parallel state body.

From Wikipedia.

“The Crown Estate has an urban portfolio that “includes the entirety of Regent Street and around half of St James's in London's West End as well as retail property across the UK in locations including Oxford, Exeter, Nottingham, Newcastle, Harlow, and Swansea.”

Look at all these shopping centres that the Crown Estate owns. Blimey.

Shopping centres
Retail parks
Cheltenham's Gallagher Retail Park and Warwick's Leamington Shopping Park are owned 50/50 through "The Gibraltar Limited Partnership" with The Hercules Unit Trust, a Jersey-based property unit trust. The estate recently purchased the new Rushden Lakes site in Northamptonshire from its developers.

It'd be interesting to see how much of that the Crown Estate owns outright as opposed to holding the lease for the
land the retail sites sit upon. Oxford City Council owns the land the Westgate is built on, indeed they
bought more land to enable the redevelopment to go ahead. Anyway it's a big improvement on the old
Westgate. I don't miss the smell of stale urine wafting out of the old car park in the summer.

It'd be interesting to see how much of that the Crown Estate owns outright as opposed to holding the lease for the
land the retail sites sit upon. Oxford City Council owns the land the Westgate is built on, indeed they
bought more land to enable the redevelopment to go ahead. Anyway it's a big improvement on the old
Westgate. I don't miss the smell of stale urine wafting out of the old car park in the summer.
Yes, this all needs more investigation.

I am sure that there must be people who miss the smell of stale urine in the morning.

I am trying to understand the Crown Estate. It seems that is not actually owned by the Monarch. It is a state body, but a kind of parallel state body.

It's a legal fudge to use public assets to pay for the royals while making it look like they're paying for themselves.

Another comparable scam is the Duchy of Cornwall, wholly owned by Prince Peggy, and The Duchy of Lancaster owned by King Sausage Paws.

It's a legal fudge to use public assets to pay for the royals while making it look like they're paying for themselves.

It was a deal struck between King George III and the Government of the day to shift the costs of running the
state away from the monarch. It's why the civil list exists. The Treasury takes 75% of the Profits from the crown estate and the Monarchy gets
25%. The bigger thing is the deal meant the Monarch is no longer responsible for paying for the running of the state nor
paying off the National Debt. A good piece of business for the Royals, spurred on by King George III bouts
of madness.

Anyway Tax Havens, wonder what King Charles III has stuffed in those....

View attachment 441687

Why is that so shit? It looks amateurish in every way. The ancient Greeks had bronze casting down to such a fine art that one would swear some of their statues are about to move (I’m thinking, as I often do, of the Poseidon in Athens museum). Did ‘we’ contract this to a bunch of year 9 kids?

Why is that so shit? It looks amateurish in every way. The ancient Greeks had bronze casting down to such a fine art that one would swear some of their statues are about to move (I’m thinking, as I often do, of the Poseidon in Athens museum). Did ‘we’ contract this to a bunch of year 9 kids?
TBF the queen and prince Philip rarely looked like they were going to move anyway. It's also by a local artist who seems to mainly do chess sets and miniatures. Fuck 'em anyway, they don't deserve better nrt does anyone who cares.

Last edited:
It's so shit because the sculptor had not the skill of phidias. Or maybe because they couldn't be arsed to expend much effort on the royal parasites

Back
Top Bottom