Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Has anyone tried Turo.com for renting a car?

story

Changing the facts
A bit like AirBnB but for cars.

Seems like a really obvious and clever idea.

But as with anything, what are the hidden pitfalls etc….

Has anyone here rented a vehicle through Turo? And tips and tricks or pitfalls I should be aware / wary of?

Thanks Urban x

Interesting, but where car hire companies are available (like round these parts) it doesn't seem cheaper than a hire company, if anything more.

For renting someone else’s car, I don’t see why you wouldn’t.

However I have no idea why people take the risk of hiring their own cars out via such a platform. I’d be scared of people damaging the car. I mean some things you’d notice of course, but there are many ways to scrape plastics, paint or cut / stain carpets or upholstery, which might escape your post rental inspection.

Then there’s people renting it to swap faulty parts off their identical car to save buying the part themselves.

If someone were so minded, they could cause malicious damage by dropping a contaminant into the oil, brake fluid or coolant reservoir.

You’d hope no one would do any of these things, but a car is a valuable object which can be damaged in a multitude of ways!

Last edited:
A bit like AirBnB but for cars.

Seems like a really obvious and clever idea.

But as with anything, what are the hidden pitfalls etc….

Has anyone here rented a vehicle through Turo? And tips and tricks or pitfalls I should be aware / wary of?

Thanks Urban x
Yes I've used Turo 2-3 times in the US and once in London.

It worked really well for me on US work trips to San Francisco and LA. I tend to stay in the city without a car and arrange all of my out of town meetings on one day. I've used Turo to hire a car for just that day and either get it delivered to my hotel or collect it from close by. Advantage over trekking to a car hire place on edge of town (or airport). Have hired some more interesting cars too.

The time in London was a disaster. We needed it for a Christmas visit to relatives and the guy cancelled at last minute and fucked up our plans. You wouldn't have that problem with a car hire company.

Back
Top Bottom