Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Had my first crash - how do I minimise the cost?

So the van is from Enterprise and the excess insurance is from icarhireinsurance.

The reason I thought it would affect my policy is that they ask if you've had any claims in the last x years and if I claimed on my excess then I'd have to say yes.

If Enterprise claimed on their own insurance, and I paid it the excess, then that's not me claiming, right?

So the van is from Enterprise and the excess insurance is from icarhireinsurance.

The reason I thought it would affect my policy is that they ask if you've had any claims in the last x years and if I claimed on my excess then I'd have to say yes.

If Enterprise claimed on their own insurance, and I paid it the excess, then that's not me claiming, right?

If you've claimed on the hire place's insurance that doesn't count as a claim on your own personal insurance. It shouldn't affect your premiums.

I'd always pay a few extra quid for an excess waiver or whatever it is they offer you. Otherwise you can be paying out the full excess of maybe several hundred quid for a scratch.

And read the small print before you hire anything. Then read it again.

Yeah, last time I hired a van I got the excess waiver - I think it was about £250 and you got it back if there was no damage.

I drove it, repeatedly, into a low branch while wondering why the fucking thing wouldn't move and where that awful screeching noise was coming from. I lost the £250, but I doubt the repair came in at less than several grand. Nothing appeared on my insurance history...

If you've claimed on the hire place's insurance that doesn't count as a claim on your own personal insurance. It shouldn't affect your premiums.
That's what I said.

there's two things here:

1) the cost of the repairs. It'll come off the car hire company's insurance, unless I can pay for the repairs myself?
2) the excess for said insurance. This is paid by me, but I have excess insurance in my own name, that I can use to avoid paying this.

The second bit is what would affect my personal car insurance premium. I think?

That's what I said.

there's two things here:

1) the cost of the repairs. It'll come off the car hire company's insurance, unless I can pay for the repairs myself?
2) the excess for said insurance. This is paid by me, but I have excess insurance in my own name, that I can use to avoid paying this.

What is the excess insurance you're referring to? Where and when did you buy it?

Presumably your excess imsurance came with some documentation which would answer this question? If it fucks up your premiums down the line then what's the point of having it?

OK Enterprise don't really have insurance, or not in the sense that you and I would have had. They'll have a 3rd party only policy with an excess of a million quid or something like that. Instead of buying very expensive insurance they deal with it in house.

Enterprise also have a decent loss control department who will be able to discuss options like paying for it yourself, it sounds like it'll be less than the excess though (try and find out what that is exactly).

My initial thoughts are if the damage is obvious fess up. If it's not that obvious try and blag it, this is pretty much what everyone does anyway. If they suss you just do the blank face, I don't know thing. I worked in car rental and this is how the game is played.

OK Enterprise don't really have insurance, or not in the sense that you and I would have had. They'll have a 3rd party only policy with an excess of a million quid or something like that. Instead of buying very expensive insurance they deal with it in house.

Enterprise also have a decent loss control department who will be able to discuss options like paying for it yourself, it sounds like it'll be less than the excess though (try and find out what that is exactly).

It was enterprise I had a nightmare with when someone scratched the door of a catch hired :mad:

It's fucking expensive though and can double the cost of the hire. Anyone who hires cars should have one of these for about £40 a year. It means you have to have a fair bit available on a credit card because they block up to £2000 and have it away if you damage the vehicle but you then claim it back. Takes about 3 weeks. Better than getting ripped off by the hire companies though.
Wasn't that much last time I hired a car was August last year from Avis for one day it cost me £82 for the day plus another £14.50 for the "All Bumps Included" excess Insurance
I've only rented an average of one car a year since I have been working for myself so it's most cost effective to just pay the Avis insurance.
I used to use a fair number of hire cars when I was a corporate drone but I just claimed it back from my employer, I had a hire car in 2005 which some twat backed into on a car park and stove the front in before driving off.
I had to pay £150 excess but then was able to claim it back from my employer so it cost me nothing but annoyance.

It should tell you what your excess is on your hire paperwork. Normally an insane amount of money, which they then sell you excess insurance to get rid of the excess

must read second page of thread before typing

I had a horrible, infuriating experience with Avis UK, which I documented in this thread. Absolute cowboy scum.

On the other hand I've always found Europcar both honest and surprisingly relaxed about checking for damage. They're my first port of call in the UK now.

Sorry to break it to you, but most insurance for hire vans doesn’t cover roof damage, so don’t count on being able to claim anything. Excesses and excess insurance may be irrelevant.
This is quite key. Before making your decision check the position. I know some hire insurance agreements don’t cover anything on vans over head height.

This is quite key. Before making your decision check the position. I know some hire insurance agreements don’t cover anything on vans over head height.

Certainly wasn't the case when I worked for Enterprise, this was many moons ago mind.

I thought so at first but now not sure.

They didn't inspect the van and said they'd send me an invoice and that was that.

But the invoice hasn't come. I guess it would take longer if there's damage to assess etc?

Cancel your credit card ?

I thought so at first but now not sure.

They didn't inspect the van and said they'd send me an invoice and that was that.

But the invoice hasn't come. I guess it would take longer if there's damage to assess etc?

Hmmm. When you say send the invoice, what do you mean? Was this a straight forward retail rental where you paid by card or was it rented through a company that has an account with Enterprise?

If they have not checked the vehicle in they are on very dodgy ground to say the least. Who's to say that the damage hasn't occurred some time after you left the place?

Back
Top Bottom