Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

Kings Hall is ok now- but could still do with some work on the changing rooms- but try the Lido at London fields- the only place in Hackney that is better than when it was a squat. only problem is it is closed after dark.
But the council can't claim the credit for this. if it had not been for the work of the local users group backed by the outrage over the closure of Haggerston Pool- and the shame over Clissold disaster just as the Olympic bid drew near we would probably be looking at some park side loft living development.

I am a bit surprised that anyone tries to make out that Hackney are anything other than corrupt and incompetent. I mean surprised on these boards - as all of us in Hackney get a valuable news sheet through our doors confirming in writing just how fantastic Mr Pipe is. I don't know about bent ballots but the council pretty much put their hands up for wrongdoing over Broadway Market and did admit it over the dalston theatre- check out http://opendalston.blogspot.com/ for a much more balanced view than mine.

If they had failed to have had their hands in the till over Clissold Baths than - with the amount of our money that was pissed away- they are not even competent at corruption.and if they are not corrupt than what do they think they are playing at.

i don't know why anyone still votes Labour here- presumably because we still hate the tories. but don't take it as an endorsement.

Kings Hall is fine. Go and have a swim there.

5t3IIa said:
I am a bit :eek: about going to another! What if it's shit?

If you don't like it then get out and go home.
Seriously, I actually like the chamber that the pool is in, and it's clean enough if you can put up with the odd plaster floating by, etc.
Only real bummer is that lots of schools use it - so check ahead for quiet times (any time when no school is using it).

mihaly said:
I am a bit surprised that anyone tries to make out that Hackney are anything other than corrupt and incompetent. I mean surprised on these boards - as all of us in Hackney get a valuable news sheet through our doors confirming in writing just how fantastic Mr Pipe is. I don't know about bent ballots but the council pretty much put their hands up for wrongdoing over Broadway Market and did admit it over the dalston theatre- check out http://opendalston.blogspot.com/ for a much more balanced view than mine.

That open dalston blog is most informative but I hate reading it as it really upsets me to see how Hackney have ruined and let that area fall into such a state of disrepair and their future plans for Dalston Junction look like all the blocks they spent millions of pounds demolishing being resurrected from the dust. It is one of the most unsympathetic selection of buildings designs for an area which is essentially low-rise and Victorian.

( I could rant for awhile about this!!!)

Kingston Hall baths are a disgrace.

How much money does it cost to not have rusty hand rails around the pool and old broken tiles? How hard is it to install a pool filter that filters the pool so I am not swimming in dirty water.

I'll not get into that pool ever again. I cycle a few miles to Tower Hamlets facilities where the hand rails are not rusty , tiles aren't broken and the water is clean.

Its a shame because Kingston pool is 500m from my house.

Sunray said:
Kingston Hall baths are a disgrace.

How much money does it cost to not have rusty hand rails around the pool and old broken tiles? How hard is it to install a pool filter that filters the pool so I am not swimming in dirty water.

I'll not get into that pool ever again. I cycle a few miles to Tower Hamlets facilities where the hand rails are not rusty , tiles aren't broken and the water is clean.

Its a shame because Kingston pool is 500m from my house.

More bad news for Hackney Barfs but tbh I'm only not going cuz I am lazy :cool:

Well, just joined Clissold Leisure Centre today and had a little tour round. It certainly seems to be in almost complete working order. Lovely pool and jacuzzis and a large fitness centre and a couple of squash courts which I've booked for the weekend. Fingers crossed it stays open for the forseeable future.

marty21 said:
i saw a foxton's mini today:rolleyes: they appear to have a new slogan, especially for hackney

"hackney hope":rolleyes: :mad:

FYI i heard on the radio this morning that average house prices in hackney fell by £10,000 last month. not that i'm a doom merchant or owt! obviously this figure was higher for the borough of kensington and chelsea...

goldenecitrone said:
Well, just joined Clissold Leisure Centre today and had a little tour round. It certainly seems to be in almost complete working order. Lovely pool and jacuzzis and a large fitness centre and a couple of squash courts which I've booked for the weekend. Fingers crossed it stays open for the forseeable future.
Me and the missus went along yesterday and i agree that the welcome and guided tour was very good and much improved when they last opened and couldn't even explain properly how someone could join nor how much it would cost. The fitness centre looked good and lots of classes organised from what i understand.

However, we also went for a swim and the changing room floors are both ridiculously slippery when wet (which is often for obvious reasons), the layout is confusing and unhelpful, and the changing booths so small that you bang yourself continually trying to change. Which is a bit annoying and has made me think twice about signing up for membership.

Paulie Tandoori said:
However, we also went for a swim and the changing room floors are both ridiculously slippery when wet (which is often for obvious reasons), the layout is confusing and unhelpful, and the changing booths so small that you bang yourself continually trying to change. Which is a bit annoying and has made me think twice about signing up for membership.

Now you mention it, I did see a bloke wrapped in a towel looking a bit confused in the main foyer. I did think it a bit odd at the time, but hadn't really considered the fact that he might have got lost. :eek:

That could have been me :) We both went into the wrong changing room (which was probably own fault) - but could only seem to get to training pool once in there, couldn't find way to main pool. Ended up trying some double doors which appeared to be locked, although i saw staff use them later on. Maybe its teething troubles, but the changing room floor really does require attention, it feels quite treacherously slippy.

dolly's gal said:
FYI i heard on the radio this morning that average house prices in hackney fell by £10,000 last month. not that i'm a doom merchant or owt! obviously this figure was higher for the borough of kensington and chelsea...
:(

actually it doesn't bother me, i have no intention of moving at the mo - don't need to

marty21 said:
:(

actually it doesn't bother me, i have no intention of moving at the mo - don't need to

exactly. those who should be bothered however, as the twats that forked out 400k for two-bed conversions in stoke newington and the likes. i laugh in their foolish faces. well, not laugh exactly, but well they should have had more foresight :)

goldenecitrone said:
Just as well you love the old greyhounds. :)

they're me only solace. only problem is cheg keeps blowing the hassss-keepin on em. i'm down to me final pair of shoes - hes gone an pawned the rest :(

dolly's gal said:
they're me only solace. only problem is cheg keeps blowing the hassss-keepin on em. i'm down to me final pair of shoes - hes gone an pawned the rest :(

Exact revenge by pawning his sheepskin jacket and trilby and spending the money on luxury bathing items.

i joined the gym at Hackney Baths last saturday. it's great.

lots of good equipment in the gym, swimming pool looked nice, showers were good. in short, everything was ace.

i recommend it.

stat said:
i joined the gym at Hackney Baths last saturday. it's great.

lots of good equipment in the gym, swimming pool looked nice, showers were good. in short, everything was ace.

i recommend it.

Clissold Leisure Centre is still open three weeks into January. Result. :)

lighterthief said:
Off for my gym induction there tomorrow :eek:

They've got some good equipment there. I'd be there tomorrow too but I knackered my ankle on Friday playing squash. Oh, and I'm off to a party tonight. See you on the running machines sometime.

goldenecitrone said:
They've got some good equipment there. I'd be there tomorrow too but I knackered my ankle on Friday playing squash. Oh, and I'm off to a party tonight. See you on the running machines sometime.
Yep, it seems to be a pretty good little fitness centre.

Pool is nice too but...(deep breath):

WHY DO THEY ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS BOOK OUT AT LEAST HALF THE POOL TO CLISSOLD SODDING SWIMMING CLUB EVERY BLOODY WEEKNIGHT AT PEAK TIME MEANING EVERYBODY ELSE HAS TO JAM IN TO TWO BLOODY LANES FULL OF LOVELY OLD DEARS DOING BREASTROKE WITH THEIR HEADS OUT OF THE SODDING WATER :mad:

Ahem. Got nothing about people swimming slowly, it's just a bit annoying if they're in your lane and you want to get a few decent lengths in.

Reckon I'll be going for an 8am dip in the lido tomorrow; should be fun with the air temperature below 0 degrees :cool:

On another topic: good fish and chips in Hackney? Can anyone beat Micky's Chippy on Mathias Road?

Ahem. Got nothing about people swimming slowly, it's just a bit annoying if they're in your lane and you want to get a few decent lengths in.

I'm sure the old dears would be more than happy to let you slip in the odd length or two if you asked politely. Young man. :)

I went to the Bliss caff opposite the Dalston Junction Station works last week and you could feel the floor moving as they were drilling down with their massive screw thing :cool:

Reckon I'll be going for an 8am dip in the lido tomorrow; should be fun with the air temperature below 0 degrees :cool:

On another topic: good fish and chips in Hackney? Can anyone beat Micky's Chippy on Mathias Road?

don't know about the fish, but Mermaids at clapton pond do some great chips, and they're a nice bunch working there too

Back
Top Bottom