Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Government response to the independent review of drugs by Dame Carol Black

Johnny Vodka

The Abominable Scotsman
Ugh. Well, I could have posted this in the drugs forum, but it probably deserves a wider audience.

Fucking hell, does this boil my piss. Ignoring the science, ignoring any nuance (such as the development of MDMA and psilocybin for mental health treatment), ignoring the decriminalisation and repealing of drug laws happening in the U.S. and Europe, not to mention the fucking moralising when no doubt at least half the Tory cabinet have had coke up their noses at some point.

1. Addressing so-called ‘recreational’ drug use by too many in our society who, knowingly or otherwise, support a dangerous and exploitative market and whose behaviour is both criminal and anti-social. This means being smart and developing tougher and more meaningful consequences to help reduce demand and shift behaviour and attitudes in those sections of society where drug use is currently seen as acceptable.

Only hope for me (being a Scot) is that we get independence, as there does seem to be an appetite for something different up here!

Only hope for me (being a Scot) is that we get independence, as there does seem to be an appetite for something different up here!

My angry face response was for the other stuff, not for this. I really hope this does happen. Primarily for its own sake, ie the sake of Scotland and Scottish people, of course but also for the pressure it would put on our rulers down here. Every time any country makes sensible decisions about drugs, it allows more evidence to be gathered of the benefits of those decisions.

My angry face response was for the other stuff, not for this. I really hope this does happen. Primarily for its own sake, ie the sake of Scotland and Scottish people, of course but also for the pressure it would put on our rulers down here. Every time any country makes sensible decisions about drugs, it allows more evidence to be gathered of the benefits of those decisions.

I don't know, they can surely see the changes that are happening in the U.S. and other countries? It's as if they are doubling down on this fascist bullshit regardless. It seems to be a peculiarly British (now English) thing. I don't think Sir Keir would do much different if he was elected. Maybe Greens/Lib Dems would start changing things down south...

The weird thing is they won't touch alcohol minimum unit pricing as we have in Scotland, when clearly alcohol causes more misery than most illegal drugs.

I don't know, they can surely see the changes that are happening in the U.S. and other countries? It's as if they are doubling down on this fascist bullshit regardless. It seems to be a peculiarly British (now English) thing. I don't think Sir Keir would do much different if he was elected. Maybe Greens/Lib Dems would start changing things down south...

Yeah, I know you're right. The evidence is already available and very clear. Who knows what the future holds though. I have to hope there is one, after this shower of shits retire/die/are overthrown. It's all I've got!

Drugs are illegal for a reason: they are harmful, affecting both physical and mental health, relationships and career prospects, and wider society.

So when is alcohol being banned then? Because the same arguments apply. Rank hypocrisy.

Individuals who use illegal substances need to know they are not only risking their health, but funding dangerous criminals who rely on fear, exploitation and violence.

Which is why there should be a legal alternative, you fucking idiots.

The Home Office will support an expansion of police activity to tackle those individuals who break the law and ensure they face meaningful consequences. As part of this we will support an increase in the use of drug testing on arrest in a number of police forces across England and Wales, so those involved in crime, including misusing drugs, are identified and dealt with appropriately.

We will encourage drug testing on arrest for a wider range of offences where cocaine or opiates (the drugs which can currently be tested for) are suspected to have contributed to the unlawful behaviour. We are working closely with the National Police Chiefs Council and police forces to develop this work and understand how best to target cohorts of people who may take drugs less frequently and think they are less likely to be caught.

We've already tried this "tough on drugs" nonsense. It doesn't work, it wastes money and it ruins lives. The changes in laws and attitudes across the world aren't arbitrary caprice; they are based on bitter experience.

The Home Office, working with policing partners, MoJ and DHSC, will hold a roundtable later this year, bringing together policing, drug intervention experts and treatment providers to explore and gain insight on effective and innovative approaches to reduce the demand for the use of any illegal drugs, no matter when, how or by whom they are used.

I expect these experts to be either ignored or cherry-picked. This whole response carries the vibe of minds already made up.

Absolute fucking dickheads. Why are they so fucking backwards about this?

"I gave a lecture on the assessment of drug harms and how these relate to the legislation controlling drugs. According to Alan Johnson, the Home Secretary, some contents of this lecture meant I had crossed the line from science to policy and so he sacked me. I do not know which comments were beyond the line or, indeed, where the line was" - Prof David Nutt, neuropharmacologist and former chairman of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs

So when is alcohol being banned then? Because the same arguments apply. Rank hypocrisy.

Which is why there should be a legal alternative, you fucking idiots.

We've already tried this "tough on drugs" nonsense. It doesn't work, it wastes money and it ruins lives. The changes in laws and attitudes across the world aren't arbitrary caprice; they are based on bitter experience.

I expect these experts to be either ignored or cherry-picked. This whole response carries the vibe of minds already made up.

Absolute fucking dickheads. Why are they so fucking backwards about this?

I believe (just my opinion like) we've passed the point where to show any kind of humanity towards or make any effort for people who are marginalised/struggling/destitute is seen as (or has been deliberately engineered to be seen as) unimportant/leftie hypocrisy.

I believe (just my opinion like) we've passed the point where to show any kind of humanity towards or make any effort for people who are marginalised/struggling/destitute is seen as (or has been deliberately engineered to be seen as) unimportant/leftie hypocrisy.

Now that I think about it, the ridiculous hard-on for punishment in the writing of that response has got the awful stench of that psychopath Priti Patel all over it.

Back
Top Bottom