Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

good football photos

Sammy Igoe's shot rolls into the Shrewsbury net after his 60 yard dash from the edge of his own penalty area in the dying minutes of the 2007 play off final at Wembley. Shrewsbury's keeper had gone up for a corner and was left stranded as Igoe scored one of the most memorable goals in Bristol Rovers' history to seal promotion 3-1 in front of 40,000 delirious West Country people

Bristol_Rovers_v_Shrewsbury_Town,_League_2_Play_Off_Final,_Wembley_2007_%28517546477%29.jpg

Little Sammy is mobbed by his team mates. The Gas were going up :cool:

_42975385_igoe416300.jpg

Rickie Lambert celebrates after burying the ball past Adriano Basso to give Bristol Rovers a 1-0 aggregate win against the mugs from across town in the Johnstone's Paints Trophy southern area final in February 2007

5177703-large.jpg

The very same godlike genius celebrates an unlikely victory after coming from behind at already promoted Hartlepool in May 2007. 1-0 down at half time and with play off rivals Stockport coasting to victory down the road at Darlington, Rickie scored the winner and sealed a miraculous play off place with just three minutes to play with a close range header right in front of 900 traveling Gasheads. I was so excited I broke my seat. Three weeks later we were promoted at Wembley

5177722-large.jpg

Last edited:
Bristol Rovers fans manage not to invade the pitch at Ashton Gate in September 2013. Their red counterparts were in the six yard box opposite...

136085329__448521b.jpg

Mark McChrystal celebrates his equaliser in front of the away end the same night

article-2412484-1BA03916000005DC-18_634x427.jpg

Same game - the Rovers 'Make Us Dream' flag shown was later stolen and burnt by the fans shown on the right

_69657309_69657171.jpg

5000 Bristol Rovers fans celebrate winning the Third Division championship at Blackpool, May 1990. Made even better by the fact that promotion had been won by beating the other mob three days earlier. They finished second...

Happy days :)

4055578248_9601e2dfbd_z.jpg

Bristol Rovers knock Fulham out of the FA Cup on penalties in January 2008 en route to the quarter finals

79163138.jpg

One at Bristol Rovers from a few years ago:

4576479220_e15aa3fc85_b.jpg

One of the last games I went to I think...
That was that end of season game wasn't it? Think you were already promoted and showed us why as well. I went to Carrow Road near the start of the season, horrible defeat only mitigated by Fat Harry Potter getting thrown out of The Barclay for being a bad bellend. Oh, and me getting massively twatted on Meph on the train back to London.

Good work! I hate Bristol City with a passion!
All the best people do
Freedman scores in the 89' on the last day of the season to keep palace in the championship.

View attachment 47946

Edgeley Park? Last time I was there I remember doing lines in the away end bogs before the game, chatting shit throughout a really dull 2-0 win for us and then getting the wrong train and going to Macc instead of Manchester. We'd kidnapped two Norwegian Man U fans from the pub in Manchester to come to the game with us, they didn't seem to mind the impromptu tour of the Cheshire countryside we treated them to before finally getting them back to Manchester

5000 Bristol Rovers fans celebrate winning the Third Division championship at Blackpool, May 1990. Made even better by the fact that promotion had been won by beating the other mob three days earlier. They finished second...

Happy days :)

4055578248_9601e2dfbd_z.jpg

Two more from that sunny afternoon in Blackpool. Can't direct link but worth clicking on these imho

Paul Nixon puts Rovers 3-0 up in front of a Spion Kop which was jam packed with Bristolians, as was the side - note the Gas fans standing ready to invade the pitch at the final whistle. They all went on when this shot went in :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_spain/8667348307

Shot taken from the back of Blackpool's South Stand at the end, showing just how many Rovers fans were present that day. Blackpool had already been relegated to Division Four and of a crowd of just over 6,000 an estimated 5,000 had traveled up from the West Country to see us win the league

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_spain/8669007765/

That was that end of season game wasn't it? Think you were already promoted and showed us why as well. I went to Carrow Road near the start of the season, horrible defeat only mitigated by Fat Harry Potter getting thrown out of The Barclay for being a bad bellend. Oh, and me getting massively twatted on Meph on the train back to London.

Yes, I think it was the end of the season (which may explain some pirate hats - was there some attempt to break the world record for the number of pirates in one place???). I know I took the kids out of school on the Friday and we went down via Avebury and met the missus in Bristol. And, yes, I think Rovers did lose - did one of yours get sent off as well?

I'm not sure if I saw the game at Carrow Road or not - my wife and eldest son might well have gone. I do keep on meaning to try to catch a Rovers game in London or something - I was stupidly impressed with the support and actually liked the ground as well. Proper sort of place to watch football :)

More great Gas pitch invasions:

We won about a million games in a row 2-1 after being behind in the Championship year of 1990. Ian Holloway bombed one in from long range late on at the County Ground in Northampton and the traveling army did the rest:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_spain/5690275386/

Eastville pitch invasion celebrating promotion in 1974. Absolutely love the 'Tote Rules The West OK' banner at the back:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_spain/7181629292/

Promotion won in 1953, the Eastville pitch is invaded. Tote End in the background and behind that the gasworks which gave the club one of its nicknames:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_spain/7090231167/

That whole photostream is an absolute joy, especially to a Rovers fan like me :cool:

Yes, I think it was the end of the season (which may explain some pirate hats - was there some attempt to break the world record for the number of pirates in one place???). I know I took the kids out of school on the Friday and we went down via Avebury and met the missus in Bristol. And, yes, I think Rovers did lose - did one of yours get sent off as well?

I'm not sure if I saw the game at Carrow Road or not - my wife and eldest son might well have gone. I do keep on meaning to try to catch a Rovers game in London or something - I was stupidly impressed with the support and actually liked the ground as well. Proper sort of place to watch football :)
Ah yeah, some kind of world record attempt. No idea if anyone got sent off :D

The ground's a dump but I can see why people say it's a cool place to watch football. And yeah, we can make a bit of a row when we want to :)

I'm now singing "We won the league, beside the sea..." to myself :D

Great photos, JTG, especially this one-

We won the league at Blackpool once too. We took so many up there loads were locked out. I was one of them. About 1996, I think.
Yeah, that really caught my eye when I saw it - had never seen it before either, which is unusual as I've seen most decent Gas pics out there (Alan Marshall is our former official club photographer and tended to get all the good 'uns). It's a great story - club exiled in another city, skint with a team of rejects (only Carl Saunders cost a fee and he was playing full back for Stoke - Gerry Francis played him up front and he took to it immediately) and selling our two best players early in the season (Nigel Martyn to Palace and Gary Penrice to Watford). In the title race all year but just behind the lovable neighbours until we faced them at Twerton Park in the penultimate game of the season. A Rovers win and we were promoted, a c*ty win and they were not only promoted but had also won the title. Their players had seen some of ours on a night out a few weeks earlier and had taunted them with their massively superior pay packets.

We won 3-0 to win promotion, leapfrogged them in the table and won the league at Blackpool the following Saturday. They went up the same day but we'd nicked their championship. The stuff dreams were made of and I haven't even mentioned the first ever trip to Wembley in the Leyland DAF Cup (we lost to Tranmere but nobody cared).

Re: Swindon - yeah, you won the league in 1995-96, bounced straight back after being relegated alongside c*ty in 1995.

Last edited:
My goodness, thread won I think! They used to be able to squeeze a fair few in at Highbury eh

yep, loved going to the NLD at highbury. now, they use health and safety excuses in collaboration with OB to give Tottenham only half the allocation the rules stipulate , despite giving full allocation to leeds Cardiff Chelsea in the last year .
from 76 to 83 they even allowed Tottenham free use of the north bank as shown below .yidsinnbearlyeightiesnp6.jpg arsenal4.jpg

yep, loved going to the NLD at highbury. now, they use health and safety excuses in collaboration with OB to give Tottenham only half the allocation the rules stipulate , despite giving full allocation to leeds Cardiff Chelsea in the last year .
from 76 to 83 they even allowed Tottenham free use of the north bank as shown below .View attachment 48062 View attachment 48063
That's the Clock End surely?

Back
Top Bottom