Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

good football photos

B34dc0NCIAA4ZfD.jpg

Barrie Meyer (Glos CCC wicketkeeper and future Test umpire) scores in Bristol Rovers' 4-0 defeat of the Busby Babes, January 1956

article-2083404-0F58328E00000578-607_468x286.jpg

Edit: already posted this one! Fuck it, I blame the bullies above :(

mainMediaSize=0x425_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

Workington Reds v Barrow at Borough Park, pre-season 2014. Formerly a fierce football league derby, both teams dropped out of the league via failing re-election in the 1970s. Barrow now have a moneyed American backer and are looking to come back from the Conference. Workington are a bit further down the foodchain in the Northern Premier League.

Incidentally, Workington's old league place seems to have a shelf life of c. 28 years, and is a bit jinxed.

wtf am I on about? Workington replaced the long-defunct New Brighton in 1951 ("The Rakers" joined Div 3 North in 1923 and failed re-election in 1951).

Workington suffered the same fate in 1977, and were replaced by the old Wimbledon FC.

Wimbledon FC of course were disgracefully franchised and officially "became" MK Dons in 2004.

That means, that is this pattern keeps up, MK Dons will vanish out of the league sometime in 2031-32, hopefully as painfully and unpleasantly as possible.

It would be nice if a re-formed New Brighton or Workington replaced them!

Last edited:
I know I'm stretching it with this collage but I love it. I don't recognise Bilic and Ranieri looks like he should be in an Alain Delon film:

View attachment 84382

I remember Martinez, Koeman, Sparky and Bilic as players, although that photo looks to be from the Yugoslavia days before he came here. Howe and Neil have hardly changed, but then they're only mid-30s. As for Schteve, his head looks too small for his body.

Back
Top Bottom