Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

good football photos

BfqiNnFCAAAgPJM.jpg
They've literally no idea what they're doing

Time this thread was resurrected:

NCFC1983-84.JPG

Notts County thirty years ago, in 1983-84. Managed by the elderly Jimmy Sirrell, and with some not too bad players; Martin O'Neill, Nigel Worthington, Jim McDonagh, John Chiedozie, Rachid Harkouk, an Algerian international, Justin Fashanu, Chic McParland, and the permanently mulleted Brian "Killer" Kilcline.

O'Neill, Worthington and Harkouk all featured in the 1986 Mexico world cup finals.

Despite such an exotic squad of mavericks and never-quite-weres, County suffered successive relegations alongside Wolves this and the following season, beginning 1985-86 in the third division, and with a much thinner squad. After one final season in the top flight (91/92), and several near-death experiences, they have settled seemingly on a permanent basis in the bottom two leagues; it is hard to see them making a comeback at the top level.

article-2630921-1DDF1FC900000578-603_634x427.jpg

Redheugh Park, Gateshead; an old Football League venue going back to nature after the old club staggered out of existence in the early 70s.

Gateshead were the vicitms of one of the biggest injustices in Football league history, when they were thrown out of the league in 1960 in favour of Peterborough- despite having finished third from bottom of the table. The club staggered on in non league but Redheugh began to fall apart, they had no money, and dwindling local interest meant that they had disappeared ten years or so later.

Since reformation in 1977, it has largely been tough for them and ten years ago they were playing in front of sub-100 crowds in the NPL Division One North. Their renaissance since then has been absolutely remarkable. Tomorrow they play Cambridge at Wembley to get their League place back in the conference play off final, and I hope they do it.

Nope, Cambridge went up. Cambridge are a proper club, so I don't mind that much. Should be a good weekend trip for Rovers at Gateshead next season. Watch out Newcastle!

(Well you've got to get excited about something when you're playing in the conference)

sadly not this time, Onket

I'm not sure what "proper club" means to be honest. Cambridge are a bit of a meh club for me, but they did deserve to win on Sunday ands I like to see the runners up promoted. Two strong sides came up from the conference this season, Gateshead's turn will come again some other time. Gary Mills did an outstanding job there this season and they should do well again next term.

No obvious strong side in the conferece ahead of 2014/15. Bristol Rovers seem a rancourous shambles and a long rebuild lies ahead of Torquay. Their more pessimistic fans on the web are doubting they will ever be back in the FL again and they have no money. Depending on transfer activity you'd expect to see Grimsby, Gateshead, Halifax, Forest Green and Wrexham all doing well; Kidderminster, Barnet, new Telford will all be close behind.

Good to see Dover back, and a first outing for UKIP happy-clappers Eastleigh, I dont know if they will have a good chance of staying up or not.

Time this thread was resurrected:

NCFC1983-84.JPG

Notts County thirty years ago, in 1983-84. Managed by the elderly Jimmy Sirrell, and with some not too bad players; Martin O'Neill, Nigel Worthington, Jim McDonagh, John Chiedozie, Rachid Harkouk, an Algerian international, Justin Fashanu, Chic McParland, and the permanently mulleted Brian "Killer" Kilcline.

O'Neill, Worthington and Harkouk all featured in the 1986 Mexico world cup finals.

Despite such an exotic squad of mavericks and never-quite-weres, County suffered successive relegations alongside Wolves this and the following season, beginning 1985-86 in the third division, and with a much thinner squad. After one final season in the top flight (91/92), and several near-death experiences, they have settled seemingly on a permanent basis in the bottom two leagues; it is hard to see them making a comeback at the top level.
Good

1656933_w2.jpg

FC Sherriff Tiraspol celebrate yet another win in their largely empty stadium, beamed down from outer space into Tiraspol, capital of the run down Soviet enclave of Transnistria, on the eastern edge of Moldova.

Sherriff have a Celtic-like grip on the Moldovan league and play in a marvellous state of the art new stadium. Sherriff are the biggest corporation in Transnistria and dominate most aspects of life there. Just don't ask too many questions about where all the money comes from *nervous look*.

A very, very strange club.

BATE-Borisov-v-Bayern-Munich-Marko-Simic-v-Th_2838504.jpg

Belarussian champions BATE Borisov take a chunk out of Bayern Munich at the Dinamo stadium in Minsk (BATE's own ground os not of European standard). BATE, named after a Soviet era tractor factory, beat the arrogant Bavarians 3-1 last season.

Last one from me today:

Kalev5.jpg

JK "Kalev" Tallinn in season 1960-61; the only time an Estonian club featured in the USSR first division. They were immediately relegated.

"Kalev" are a little bit like Queen's Park in Glasgow, the oldest Estonian team whose major successes are long behind them. They are now in the lower reaches of the Estonian first division and still play at the same ground- the Tallinna Keskstadioon (Tallinn Central Stadium). This is a Soviet-built open bowl little changed since their days in the USSR top flight.

I enjoy watching Kalev when I am over there.

What are the alphabet boards in these pictures?
Back, way back, before mobile phones or even tannoy systems, a list of the day's fixtures would be printed in the programme alongside a letter of the alphabet. At half time, the half time scores would be placed next to each letter on the scoreboard and fans could check them against the list in the programme.

The side effect was that to know who it was that was engaged in a 3-2 first half ding-dong, you had to buy a programme. Obviously this was completely unintentional on the part of the clubs

Back
Top Bottom