Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

good football photos

JTG said:
One of my favourite ever Gas players and a thoroughly lovely guy :)

I remember coming to your place with Luton, and Hayles ended our full back's career with a leg-breaking tackle. All the Rovers fans were shouting "get up you tart" etc, even as an ambulance pulled up to the side of the pitch!

Brixton Hatter said:
And here he is in more familiar Luton shirt:

Luton had just beaten Arsenal 3-2 in the 1988 league cup final - Foster captained the team, Andy Dibble in the middle saved a penalty when we were 2-1 down, and Brian Stein scored two of our three goals (Danny Wilson got the other.)

Shame Stein wasn't as good as a manager. Are you going tonight?

^I was at a few Wanderers games last season, always a great atmosphere. (especially against the Smurfs).
Brilliant atmosphere indeed. I only made it to a couple of games last season. Will be going to many more this season. You in Sydney?

Yeah I'm in Sydney, should be going to a few games myself again this season (work gets in the way), I recon it's going to be a bit more difficult getting tickets this year, although my mate at works a member so hopefully can sort me out.

Do you have a boozer of choice in Para? not found one yet that suits my quaint English pre-match pint needs. :)

Shame Stein wasn't as good as a manager. Are you going tonight?
Yeah I went - only just saw your message!

Much better tonight, defended well (albeit against a poor Dartford side), bossed midfield, Lawless back in the team looked quality, Guttridge runs things in the middle, and we finally have a centre forward in Benson. Very pleased :)

Yeah I'm in Sydney, should be going to a few games myself again this season (work gets in the way), I recon it's going to be a bit more difficult getting tickets this year, although my mate at works a member so hopefully can sort me out.

Do you have a boozer of choice in Para? not found one yet that suits my quaint English pre-match pint needs. :)
A lot of the RBB go to the Woolpack pre game. I live in the 'Gong, so have to travel a couple of hours to get to the matches.
Looking forward to this season.

I've been past the Woolpack a few times on match day but it's always too packed for an impatient drinker like myself, an aptly named pub that. :)

Are you heading up for the derby at the Allianz (26th Oct)? I should be getting my ticket tomorrow.

Yeah, should be. I f do, i'll let you know beforehand, meet up for a few before(or after) the game.

And here he is in more familiar Luton shirt:

Luton had just beaten Arsenal 3-2 in the 1988 league cup final - Foster captained the team, Andy Dibble in the middle saved a penalty when we were 2-1 down, and Brian Stein scored two of our three goals (Danny Wilson got the other.)

Yeah but Fozzie was a Brighton legend first, I was at the game where he got the injury which led to the headband :)

foster_steve_19820904_gh_l.jpg

I remember coming to your place with Luton, and Hayles ended our full back's career with a leg-breaking tackle. All the Rovers fans were shouting "get up you tart" etc, even as an ambulance pulled up to the side of the pitch!
I don't think anyone believed Baz was capable of breaking someone's leg tbh! We used to have some eventful games with Luton in that period, home and away

I don't think anyone believed Baz was capable of breaking someone's leg tbh! We used to have some eventful games with Luton in that period, home and away

Yeah, i remember some crackers. Sure we were at some of the same games.

Yeah I went - only just saw your message!

Much better tonight, defended well (albeit against a poor Dartford side), bossed midfield, Lawless back in the team looked quality, Guttridge runs things in the middle, and we finally have a centre forward in Benson. Very pleased :)

Things are finally looking up!

Yeah, i remember some crackers. Sure we were at some of the same games.
Our failure to beat you when you had eight men a few Christmases back is still legendary :facepalm:

Can remember some absolute corkers at Kenilworth Road too. Last time we were there I was still walking up the steps from the turnstiles when Rickie twatted one in from about 40 yards :facepalm:

Our failure to beat you when you had eight men a few Christmases back is still legendary :facepalm:

Can remember some absolute corkers at Kenilworth Road too. Last time we were there I was still walking up the steps from the turnstiles when Rickie twatted one in from about 40 yards :facepalm:
Boxing Day '07.

My Great Uncle remembers Luton beating Rovers 12-0, and Joe Payne scoring 10 goals! Still a Football League record after almost 80 years.

I was at that game on Boxing Day 2007 too - classic to get a draw after having three players sent off. The Rovers fans clapped us off :D

During that period we were infamous for failing to beat anyone with fewer than 11 on the park. Every time an opposition player got sent off there'd be a collective groan :D

That one was just about the worst of the lot though!

I was at the Cup game in 95 as well. Third round, 1-1 draw with Marcus Stewart putting us ahead in front of a sold out Oak Road. John Hartson was sold to Arsenal before the replay (which we lost)

Think that was the very last season of the old Open End at Trashton. They built the Atyeo Stand the following summer

What's the story behind that being played at Ninian? Unless it's a typo and you meant to put Cardiff...

2058144.jpg

Falmouth Town entertain Oxford United at Bickland Park, in the first round of the FA Cup, 1962.

Oxford were a new league club, having replaced Accrington Stanley after they resigned mid-season in financial meltdown. They won comfortably enough ion front of a record 8,000 crowd.

Falmouth are in the lower reaches of the SWPL these days and don't look likely to be troubling the FA Cup again soon- their ground these days is deemed not up to standard and they won't participate again until necessary changes are made.

Caernarfon002.JPG

Bangor City (blue) beat Caenarfon Town at the Oval in 2006. Bangor have gone on to be a mainstay of the Welsh Premier League whilst the "Cofis" (Canaries) have crashed down three leagues- but a promotion last term means they are slowly on the way back.

Both these teams, plus Rhyl and Newtown, were respected and competitive mainstays of the NPL in the 70s and 80s, before being forced at gunpoint back into the Welsh system by the FAW when the original League of Wales was formed in the 90s.

Last edited:
somerton1980_2.jpg

Somerton Park, Newport in 1980. County were on the point of winning promotion to Division 3, and winning the Welsh Cup, in their best season since 1938/39.

When Somerton disappeared in 1993, with the re-formed Newport AFC playing in Gloucestershire, few imagined the club would ever be back in the league...but twenty years on, the doubters were proven wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom