Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

good football photos

000028_1589195844_54892_big.jpg

Gabriel Ramos, ex-Corinthians, playing for Torpedo-BELAZ against Energetik-BGU Minsk in the Belarusian top flight in April. Ramos is a very gifted player probably playing in this league as he has a habit of drifiting in and out of games. Torpedo, the factory team of a company that make the biggest mining trucks in the world, finished third in the table, and are a decent side to watch; a nice mix of locals, Ukranians, Russians and Brazilians.

Energetik in organge are basically a farm team for promising yougesters from all over the world. The wee guy wearing 22 is Liberian David Tweh now at Dinamo Brest. Lurking in the background is the Uzbek striker Jasur Yakhshiboev, another remarkable talent who is genuinely unplayable one games in four and anonymous in the other three. The "Yak" ended up with the eventual champions, the potash baron-funded Shakhtyor Soligorsk.

Belarusian football was great fun to watch in lockdown.

Ashton Gate in the 90's:

View attachment 243553

None of that remaining now even the buildings behind have nearly gone.
Is that definitely the 90s? My first couple of times going to Ashton Gate was 1995 and 1996 for the Bristol derby when some of the home fans made a few ground alterations of their own. The Atyeo had just been built, but the Williams looked a lot more modern than that pic, even in 1995. Not sure when you switched from floodlight pylons to being mounted on the stand.

Edit: floodlights at Ashton Gate sold to Wigan Athletic in 1992 apparently, so could well be the early 90s!

Last edited:
when Bowyer was out on bail, no. Any other time, yes.
Bowyer was the only player who I've ever thought was actually an evil cunt. Saw him close up when we were still at Elm Park, raking an RFC player's calf and laughing while he did it. Add in that he was a racist shit and I hate the bastard.

Is that definitely the 90s? My first couple of times going to Ashton Gate was 1995 and 1996 for the Bristol derby when some of the home fans made a few ground alterations of their own. The Atyeo had just been built, but the Williams looked a lot more modern than that pic, even in 1995. Not sure when you switched from floodlight pylons to being mounted on the stand.

Edit: floodlights at Ashton Gate sold to Wigan Athletic in 1992 apparently, so could well be the early 90s!

It was 1990 to be exact! I never saw it like this as it was 1994 that I started going and the Atyeo had been rebuilt on the end from where the picture was taken.

It must have been the early 90s. Pretty sure we had to sit when I went there in ?95/6?

Bowyer was the only player who I've ever thought was actually an evil cunt. Saw him close up when we were still at Elm Park, raking an RFC player's calf and laughing while he did it. Add in that he was a racist shit and I hate the bastard.

All true, but still played out of his skin whilst he was on trial.

Last edited:
https://www.talkingbull.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Peacock-v-MU1.jpgView attachment 243556

A very young Darren Peacock challenges Mark Hughes in the FA Cup 4th round, 1990. United squeaked home 1-0 and went on to win it that season in the first sliver of a Fergie dawn.

Peacock was quality in his prime at Newcastle, part of King Kev’s meltdown team. Now apparently dabbling in property and coaching at grassroots level.

was it Daz who did the overhead goal line clearance?

was it Daz who did the overhead goal line clearance?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Today is the 25th anniversary of this acrobatic goal line clearance from Barry Venison.<br><br>Oh glory be. This is magnificent.<a href="https://t.co/NgYGy7ErOi">pic.twitter.com/NgYGy7ErOi</a></p>&mdash; It’s A Funny Old Game (@sid_lambert) <a href="">February 9, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It was 1990 to be exact! I never saw it like this as it was 1994 that I started going and the Atyeo had been rebuilt on the end from where the picture was taken.

I remember going to the last game of the 88/89 season at Ashton Gate and the Scottish style floodlights were very distinctive. The Blades lost 2-0 but we had already achieved promotion.

181386556_2147855248846355_9036348057642935197_n.jpg

Cefn Druids emerge looking determined from their home dressing room at "The Rock" for a fixture with Newtown. The visitors won the game 7-0. The Keystone Cops defending in the second half as the Druids fall to bits is quite something.

Druids are the descendants of one of the oldest clubs in Wales. Sadly they've been pish all season and finished dead last in the Cymru Premier with just sixteen points. Coronavirus means that the regional tiers below the Cymru Premier didn't happen, so they are lucky that there is no relegation this season.

Yep won it by two points, holding off a late challenge from the loathsome Ten Nasty Scousers. Nomads TNS and Bala are the three strongest teams by miles in that league.

Back
Top Bottom