Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Go on... rape her... she won't report it... [UniLad magazine article]

Ahh, let's be kind. He's only 22 and I can remember thinking that I was really, really right the entire time when I was that age. He's probably gone to drink lager and snap the tips off Gauloises in intense discussion :cool:
We were kind, considering the eviscerations I've read in this forum. Nobody called him a dick. Nobody said he was a cock. Everybody was very patient and levelheaded.

He was the one that couldn't take people just asking him to back up his assertions/sweeping statements with facts and got a bit sulky/defensive.

He's been on urban for 6 years.

ETA: grammatical error.

We were kind, considering the eviscerations I've read in this forum. Nobody called him a dick. Nobody said he was a cock. Everybody was very patience and levelheaded.

He was the one that couldn't take people just asking him to back up his assertions/sweeping statements with facts and got a bit sulky/defensive.

He's been on urban for 6 years.
I was being very, very kind but yes, fair point. He's been on urban for six years?!?1? Fuck him. Throw him to the wolves :cool:

I think it adds to the trauma.

That seems to be the conclusion being drawn in academe, from what I've read. Unfortunately neither the medical nor the police environment are conducive to eliminating trauma, just minimising it at best, making things a whole lot more horrible at worst.
None of it is helped, of course by the institutional settings and the institutionalisation of the staff. They learn a way to deal with victims/patients, and it's difficult to change focus away from that, especially as both medical staff and police have "canteen cultures" that reinforce certain ways of acting, behaviours that, when a victim is exposed to them can be extremely denigratory of their experience as well as traumatising.
What's worse, of course, is the possibility that reporting, the process of recall of the event, can actually encourage dissociative behaviour patterns, dissociation being something that perplexes judges and juries alike, who expect weeping and wailing.

Ahh, let's be kind. He's only 22 and I can remember thinking that I was really, really right the entire time when I was that age. He's probably gone to drink lager and snap the tips off Gauloises in intense discussion :cool:

TBF, anyone who goes anywhere near a packet of Gauloises between the ages of 17 and 50 (denizens of the Francophone world excepted), needs their tip(s) snapped off.

That seems to be the conclusion being drawn in academe, from what I've read. Unfortunately neither the medical nor the police environment are conducive to eliminating trauma, just minimising it at best, making things a whole lot more horrible at worst.
None of it is helped, of course by the institutional settings and the institutionalisation of the staff. They learn a way to deal with victims/patients, and it's difficult to change focus away from that, especially as both medical staff and police have "canteen cultures" that reinforce certain ways of acting, behaviours that, when a victim is exposed to them can be extremely denigratory of their experience as well as traumatising.
What's worse, of course, is the possibility that reporting, the process of recall of the event, can actually encourage dissociative behaviour patterns, dissociation being something that perplexes judges and juries alike, who expect weeping and wailing.
It's a rationalisation used by some jury members - the victim wasn't upset enough, distraught enough, then she couldn't have been raped.

Never mind that to even sit in the same room as the rapist probably triggers that dissicuation just to get through the experience. Dissociation is the mind's way of protecting us from trauma until it can be processed, so in situations which the mind perceives as the samne as the original trauma, it's only natural that dissociation will happen again.

It's a rationalisation used by some jury members - the victim wasn't upset enough, distraught enough, then she couldn't have been raped.

Never mind that to even sit in the same room as the rapist probably triggers that dissicuation just to get through the experience. Dissociation is the mind's way of protecting us from trauma until it can be processed, so in situations which the mind perceives as the samne as the original trauma, it's only natural that dissociation will happen again.

There's an interesting paper that investigates part of the issue (Hardy, A. Young, K and Holmes, E.A. 'Does trauma memory play a role in the experience of reporting sexual assault during police interviews? An exploratory study'. Memory. 2009. 17 (8). 783-788).

There's an interesting paper that investigates part of the issue (Hardy, A. Young, K and Holmes, E.A. 'Does trauma memory play a role in the experience of reporting sexual assault during police interviews? An exploratory study'. Memory. 2009. 17 (8). 783-788).
Cheers VP, will read that.

I used to smoke Gauloises. But I was a denizen of the Francophone world at the time. They taste like the inside of my grandad's shoe :(

My art teacher smoked 'em. You couldn't go in the darkroom after he'd been in there because the Gauloises fug was so thick and smelly. :(

Slightly off topic but that's one of the reasons that Kate McCann and Lindy Chamberlain were so vilified by the press because they were totally disassociating.

Are there any cases of men being wrongfully convicted/having their cases thrown out because of not showing enough emotion?

Slightly off topic but that's one of the reasons that Kate McCann and Lindy Chamberlain were so vilified by the press because they were totally disassociating.

Are there any cases of men being wrongfully convicted/having their cases thrown out because of not showing enough emotion?

it's a no win situation though. dissociate and you are obviously not traumatised and therefore not trustworthy. show emotion and you are obviously too emotionally unstable or hysterical to be trustworthy. or faking the emotion to try to garner sympathy and therefore not trustworthy. you need to learn that as a woman, you are simply wrong and there will be always some reason why you are not trusted.

I suspect not, although if a man shows emotion no doubt the 'emotionally unstable' label gets stuck on them too.

There are times when I wish I had chosen a different user name, as every time I post on a thread like this I feel i need to point out that I am a man.

Others have more or less said this but I feel the rising acceptability of rape jokes is part of a shift in patriarchy to reassert itself following the advances made by women over the last 50 years. In particular I feel that as a reaction to the sexual freedoms women won, the extinct of sexual objectification was increased and that rape jokes are part of this. In the same way that while the pill was undoubtedly a hugh boon for women, some women found it made it harder for them to say no as they no longer had the get out clause of 'what if I get pregnant'.

This is the main thing I wont to mention, and to add a tiny bit of anecdotal evidence to the mix. I was on jury service last week and ended up on a rape case. Now I best not say too much on a public bulletin board but the result was a majority verdict of not guilty, I was one of those who felt he was guilty. It was a difficult experience for me (the deliberation was basically a 4 hour long argument that got very heated at times) and I haven't fully processed it or really finalised any conclusions yet.

To add some context, this was something that happened within an existing relationship. I felt that the police, prosecutor and judge all did reasonably well on the case, shure some things could have been better but I don't think they did anything to harm the case as such.

The main problem was the lack of any significant physical evidence, but this idea that she didn't behave like a rape victim or didn't seem like she had been raped was a big factor. This was despite the judge saying that any preconceived ideas of how a rape victim should behave should be left behind and there is not typical response. Also i felt in a number of cases she did behave exactly like a rape victim would be expected to behave.

One example is the medical examination. Again to give some context this would have taken place not long after the incident. When she was examined she refused to allow an examination of her vagina. Which to me while unfortunate also seems very understandable. But according to most of the jury it probably meant she was laying about the rape, oh the jury was mainly women.

Which is one of the problems with rape cases as the best time to gather the evidence is straight after but this of course is a terrible time for the victim. One, very unpleasant, question i was left with that maybe someone can answer. I assume that not all rapes leave behind physical evidence of the penetration being forced would I be right?

As I look back over the post, I'm not sure if I am adding anything to the debate but I've typed it so might as well post it, there is certainly a lot more about the case but I think this is a much as I want to say at the moment.

Oh, actually one more thing that may be of some interest. There was one other trial going on at the same time which was also a rape case and two of the people I was with had been on another rape case the week before. A tiny sample but i think it gives some idea of the number of rape cases.

<snip>

Which is one of the problems with rape cases as the best time to gather the evidence is straight after but this of course is a terrible time for the victim. One, very unpleasant, question i was left with that maybe someone can answer. I assume that not all rapes leave behind physical evidence of the penetration being forced would I be right?

<snip>.

A tough question, but in essence I believe it is correct - not all rape leaves behind unequivocal physical evidence of being raped. That is not to say the rape has not occurred. Sometimes the physical evidence may be inconclusive.

A tough question, but in essence I believe it is correct - not all rape leaves behind unequivocal physical evidence of being raped. That is not to say the rape has not occurred. Sometimes the physical evidence may be inconclusive.
Which is what I assumed, thanks.

After a number of attacks by dingoes on children recently, the viewpoint that dingos aren't the cute innocent animals they're thought to be is being changed. Better late than never, it's 30 years since the Lindy Chamberlain case.

Also not everyone wants to make a huge scene in front of strangers.

if that sounds judgemental let me explain. its not meant to be. if i was in a courtroom, let alone something as emotional as a rape case, i wouldn't want to start crying, etc, in front of people i didn't know. i find it difficult enough to talk about my feelings at the best of times.

That's a really useful post emanymton, thanks (edited out because it is in froggy's post above).

I wasn't aware that juries were allowed to go for majority verdicts after as little as four hours. Anyone know the legals on this?

Back
Top Bottom