Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Global financial system implosion begins

But she said the rapid action from central banks in response to the crisis had stabilised markets, giving people confidence that although “we might be going into a deep recession, that didn’t mean a financial crisis”.
I'm still trying to work out what this looks like.

My understanding is that if you look at the last big recession in 2008, what slowed the downturn and caused the graphs to rise and the economy to expand again was government interaction such as quantitative easing. The UK & US governments are implementing the same cash injections and liquidity on a much bigger scale now so that the dip is avoided or at least reduced to a sharp V shape.

I'm not sure it can be avoided, but the US stock market has rebounded and the Nasdaq is at record highs already.

Is that sustainable when unemployment stays at extremely high levels over a longer period of time and the small businesses which could re-emply them go bankrupt.

Will the big corporations hoover up the business and leave the workers unemployed? Is this the wealth gap being expanded exponentially?

Has there ever been a deep recession without a finacial crisis? I'm not sure it's possible.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to work out what this looks like.
Me too.
My understanding is that if you look at the last big recession in 2008, what slowed the downturn and caused the graphs to rise and the economy to expand again was government interaction such as quantative easing. The UK & US governments are implementing the same cash injections and liquidity on a much bigger scale now so that the dip is avoided or at least reduced to a sharp V shape.
And in the UK by paying the wages of millions of furloughed workers.
I'm not sure it can be avoided, but the US stock market has rebounded and the Nasdaq is at record highs already.
As I said upthread not sure what the numbers even mean without price discovery. There's a massive "misallocation" of capital with near zero interest rates, relaxed banking reserve requirements and interventionist central banks determined to protect the price of certain asset classes. On the plus side it has proven that Modern Monetary Theory has legs.
Is that sustainable when unemployment stays at extremely high levels over a longer period of time and the small businesses which could re-emply them go bankrupt.
Even many large businesses that have been heavily indebted by private equity firms are at risk.

Will the big corporations hoover up the business and leave the workers unemployed? Is this the wealth gap being expanded exponentially?
The wealth gap is becoming like the 1920s.
Has there ever been a deep recession without a finacial crisis? I'm not sure it's possible.
Ideologically I can't see the Tory party making the decisions necessary to avoid a financial crisis.

And in the UK by paying the wages of millions of furloughed workers.

As I said upthread not sure what the numbers even mean without price discovery. There's a massive "misallocation" of capital with near zero interest rates, relaxed banking reserve requirements and interventionist central banks determined to protect the price of certain asset classes. On the plus side it has proven that Modern Monetary Theory has legs.

Even many large businesses that have been heavily indebted by private equity firms are at risk.

The wealth gap is becoming like the 1920s.

Ideologically I can't see the Tory party making the decisions necessary to avoid a financial crisis.
I suspect the interventions will be time sensitive. They will last for a few months but any extended period of financial downturn and volatility will eventually make them fail to stop the recession. If there is no vaccine and social distancing goes on into next year I think enough small businesses will go under worldwide to trigger a massive global depression that lasts years.

I don't believe the Tories will do anything useful, especially with the Brexit fiasco looming.

I have a personal interest - I inherited some British American Tobacco shares 3 years ago, much to my surprise. I didn't want shares in them so sold them and reinvested the money away from the UK in US tech shares, mainly in the Nasdaq, because that's what I know about.
I'm surprised to see them at record highs right now and am currently planning to sell at least my initial investment before the (probably) inevitable collapse. I suspect late July will be the peak, especially given the US elections approaching after the summer, but who knows.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see them at record highs right now and am currently planning to sell at least my initial investment before the (probably) inevitable collapse. I suspect late July will be the peak, especially given the US elections approaching after the summer, but who knows.
Prospering in the pandemic: the top 100 companies

https%3A%2F%2Fd6c748xw2pzm8.cloudfront.net%2Fprod%2F52ca3610-b1cc-11ea-8e5f-b5788b1a4983-fullwidth.png

Death of the high street basically looks like (and hospitality/events, but i don't think that shows on shares that much)

Last edited:
Death of the high street basically looks like (and hospitality/events, but i don't think that shows on shares that much)
Yes, 20 years in the internet industry suggested to me that the future was AI, the cloud, cashless internet shopping and technological advances roughly as predicted by William Gibson. So I invested in them. The pandemic has accelerated the inevitable imo.

But 3 years of watching the markets and learning about them means that I now see how fragile, unscientific and plain bonkers the markets are, so I reckon that although I know which companies will be big in ten/twenty years time it would be prudent to back out now at least halfway to a position of safety and take the profits until the chaos subsides and it's time to jump back in.

Of course I now find myself trying to catch the peak, which is a strategy doomed to failure.

Yes, 20 years in the internet industry suggested to me that the future was AI, the cloud, cashless internet shopping and technological advances roughly as predicted by William Gibson. So I invested in them. The pandemic has accelerated the inevitable imo.
Donald Trump is accelerating the inevitable.

Keep thinking of the Jackpot in William Gibson's The Peripheral
But 3 years of watching the markets and learning about them means that I now see how fragile, unscientific and plain bonkers the markets are, so I reckon that although I know which companies will be big in ten/twenty years time it would be prudent to back out now at least halfway to a position of safety and take the profits until the chaos subsides and it's time to jump back in.

Of course I now find myself trying to catch the peak, which is a strategy doomed to failure.
"The stock market has predicted nine of the past five recessions - Paul Samuelson."

"Never bet against the Fed"

An obscure Brixton based baby-eating anarchist forum is always a solid choice for investment advice.

Yes, things are bad politically and economically. 40 million Americans newly claimed unemployment benefits in the last couple of months.

Thousands of businesses are going bankrupt. A cascade of bad loans, debts and mortgages.

But Federal Reserve monetary policy determines the stock market. Could be new record highs next year.

I'm not looking for advice here, but I guessed a few IT people here might have wondered if a life reading Gibson could help predict the future :D:D:D
Just pondering the impending collapse of the markets, and as you say, they'll go and the recession will follow. If the Fed's input fails.

Plus of course this thread has been predicting the financial system implosion for 12 years. I don't think it will be allowed to happen, not for the rich anyway.

...especially one waiting expectantly for systemic collapse
Things need to change.
I'm not looking for advice here, but I guessed a few IT people here might have wondered if a life reading Gibson could help predict the future :D:D:D
William Gibson is a good writer and a lot of his ideas have become reality.

Prefer the writing styles and more well rounded characters from Ken MacLeod & Richard K Morgan.
Just pondering the impending collapse of the markets, and as you say, they'll go and the recession will follow. If the Fed's input fails.
With effective unlimited Federal Reserve liquidity plus dollar liquidity lines and foreign-currency liquidity lines in place with their allied Central Banks, the only way it'll fail is if a leverage point breaks and the machine stops.
Plus of course this thread has been predicting the financial system implosion for 12 years. I don't think it will be allowed to happen, not for the rich anyway.
To be fair a lot of the issues from the Financial Crisis of 2008 are still unresolved. RBS is still majority owned by the state.

I find this thread an excellent antidote to the wider media’s unthinking enthusiastic embrace of all things market.

I do think, however, that although individual companies will rise and fall and although sentiment will drive valuations of indices up and down, capital as a whole will continue to make profits off the exploitation of their workers, and that will continue to manifest as dividends in the worldwide equity markets. That’s the bit that seems to be easily forgotten about on this particular forum (which is kind of odd for a place that recognises exploitation for what it is). The only way the market as a whole is going to give negative returns is if workers force companies to reduce their capital efficiency. I look forward to that day and, when it comes, the value of my equities will be the last thing I’ll care about. In the meantime, even recessions are just part of the wheels of the machine.

Good run of posts. I like the perspective we get here as it's from people who:
  • Understand a bit of the technical detail of markets
  • Are cynical of those markets
  • Hold their noses and invest in those markets

Good run of posts. I like the perspective we get here as it's from people who:
  • Understand a bit of the technical detail of markets
  • Are cynical of those markets
  • Hold their noses and invest in those markets

A position also taken by Karl Marx I believe.

The biggest US banks have more money than they know what to do with:

Banks swimming in money

Meanwhile, according to an industry insider who did an internal webcast I listened to, there is a widespread understanding that about two thirds of European banks are in a state of distress.

Global Markets Face Reckoning With Risks Coming True All at Once
Bloomberg. June 23, 2020
Markets may be headed for a wake-up call as the hypothetical risks that investors brushed aside to fuel a global rally become a reality.

Some nations that eased lockdowns are seeing Covid-19 infections rise, tension between the U.S. and China is growing, corporate finances are faltering -- which should make the next earnings season particularly painful. And the U.K. seems closer to a no-deal Brexit with the European Union.

“Having benefited from the spread rally by adding to credit in late March and April, we have been taking profit,” said John Taylor, who manages $6.6 billion at AllianceBernstein in London and bought corporate bonds in April. “I wouldn’t only worry about a second wave of Covid and any reversal of lockdown, but also how the economy holds up as governments start to ease back on the support.”

A day after the Bank of England slowed the pace of its quantitative-easing program, Federal Reserve data showed that its balance sheet contracted 1%, the first drop since late February.

The confluence of risks may be the jolt needed to end a global rally fueled by the trillions of dollars central banks and governments are using to buoy markets. Assets have advanced in defiance of devastating economic data, leading to a general mis-pricing of securities worldwide.

this seems so obvious to me, and i know very little and care even less - how/why are traders "misreading" and "mispricing" and ignoring being told as much?
Not sure that "they" are to be honest? With everything underwritten by the state.

Capitalist's eye view in Bloomberg that state intervention is interfering with markets rather than being the only gig in town?

this seems so obvious to me, and i know very little and care even less - how/why are traders "misreading" and "mispricing" and ignoring being told as much?
Because it's the job of hundreds of thousands of people to invest in X segment of the process, not to try and change the way it all works. They have been given as much free credit as they want and must get a return.

Because it's the job of hundreds of thousands of people to invest in X segment of the process, not to try and change the way it all works. They have been given as much free credit as they want and must get a return.
I get that, in which case shouldn't everyone be selling as stock prices are higher than they should be?

Back
Top Bottom