Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glaswegians block immigration raid on their neighbours

Doing it on Eid was probably the best thing for the guys being detained - it meant that lots of people in the local area were home and able to help, rather than out at work, and it probably slightly increased local sympathy towards them.

That gave me a lump in my throat.

And that guy who lay under the police van for eight hours (!!) is a hero.

Every person in that crowd is a hero.

That guy did good, but ultimately his actions weren't necessary, thanks to the crowd.

No disrespect to him, I have done similar (under a bus full of arms dealers trying to get to DSEI many years ago) and I know how uncomfortable it can be but honestly this was a mass action and that's what makes it so beautiful to me.

It seems the two men were Sikhs. I didn’t know that this afternoon. The corner shop just opposite me is run by two Sikh brothers from the South Side, one of whom has recently become religious (in order to give up smoking!) and started attending the Gurdwara on Berkeley Street, where it seems the two refugees are well known as volunteers who help feed homeless people.

I’ll try to have a chat with the guys at the shop tomorrow, although my daughter also moves into her new flat in the morning!

It seems the two men were Sikhs. I didn’t know that this afternoon. The corner shop just opposite me is run by two Sikh brothers from the South Side, one of whom has recently become religious (in order to give up smoking!) and started attending the Gurdwara on Berkeley Street, where it seems the two refugees are well known as volunteers who help feed homeless people.

I’ll try to have a chat with the guys at the shop tomorrow, although my daughter also moves into her new flat in the morning!

This is accurate? I'll try to see if there's owt the community here can do to support.

fucking glasgow! My communist organiser grandad would have been proud of his lot today

Yup. My Glaswegian Grandad would have been proud too. He wasn't overtly political - think he was Labour, but I'm not certain - but he married a German jew in his later life (they were WWII age, so the German thing mattered) and lived extremely happily on an estate where everyone except us and, weirdly, one other elderly male Scot, was Bangladeshi. He was just kinda accidentally anti-racist by the way he lived his life. But he also liked a ruck for a good cause - I mean, he was from Glasgow.

My write up for the ACG website:

George Galloway’s take on events:

View attachment 268104
Are they afghan sikhs by any chance? You'll never guess what Galloway was bloviating about a while back in the g.

By extraordinary fortitude, the Sikh family made it to Britain, hoping to find safe haven. Instead, they have just been handed an eviction notice - apparently designed to confirm every racist's prejudice that if you take their money away they will all go home.

E1Up8N_WEAE9NTc

Back
Top Bottom