Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury Festival 2021 - cancelled

There would only have been a handful, if that, that would have been available for resale. May have more back next year if people don't pay the balance or return them for other reasons.

The Tea Leaves are very much pointing to 2021 to be as much as a write off as 2020. It will probably be better over the summer, but the big thing people have learned is that on-off-on-off again is much more expensive, and dispiriting, and just hassle, than 'sorry, it's off this year...'.

We've booked a couple of UK holidays for this year, but we know we'll be lucky if we actually get any of them.

The Tea Leaves are very much pointing to 2021 to be as much as a write off as 2020. It will probably be better over the summer, but the big thing people have learned is that on-off-on-off again is much more expensive, and dispiriting, and just hassle, than 'sorry, it's off this year...'.

We've booked a couple of UK holidays for this year, but we know we'll be lucky if we actually get any of them.

I am working on Europe being open for travel in the summer with very few restrictions, the US open with testing, the Far East/Australia closed to people from Europe/US and South America/most of Africa off limits. With a more normal situation from early-ish 2022.

But then last January I confidently predicted that Thailand would be open for Easter, so wtf do I know :facepalm:

Crazy thing / thought to digest with it only being Jan 21 2021, but totally agree.

I think large things just won't get a licence etc. But small things you run yourself under 100 people might be ok. I helped do one last year and am looking to again this year.
Impossible to predict the future right now, but we can hope.....

No real comment yet possible from me :(

I'm 100% unsurprised at today's news, as I've just said in the festivals thread on the Coronavirus forum.

I'll add a bit more when I've managed to get my head together a bit .... but for now, I'm too downhearted, miserable and depressed :( :(

Knowing you're going to get certain news, doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

I love festivals and dancing but I really just think it's a Minor thing at the moment isn't it? I've built most of my life around going to clubs but I just struggle to mourn that loss at the moment in the wake of what we've gone through the last 12 months.

I mean absolutely fucking shit for the people that rely on it for their living, but really the debate needs to be about those people being looked after in an industry that makes billions.

Glastonbury will survive. It's probably the smaller festivals that I'd be a bit more gutted about on the whole, but at the moment it just feels like there is a lot more at stake.

BristolEcho : I rreally don't think that being downhearted about Glastonbury (and lots of other festivals) not happening this year, means that you're oblivious to all the other bad** things about the pandemic

**and yes, much more important bad things overall.

Of course there's 'more at stake', but this is a 'Glastonbury cancelled' thread after all!

There are plenty of other threads/discussions here about all the other Covid aspects. I've contributed loads on those threads,and read them even more.

Pretty much all the festivals we go to (in normal years!) are considerably smaller than Glastonbury, incidentally.
Whether/how they survive is obviously a big worry too.

Last edited:
The impression I get is that the smaller festivals/events may be in a better position than the big ones because they have a smaller logistical tail - quite simply it's easier to rustle up 50 portaloos at 3 weeks notice than it is 5,000 - they will be able to respond to 'breaks in the cloud' in a way that some vast behemoth that takes 18 months to organise won't.

There's a couple around here that I really hope go ahead - music, food, outdoors, maybe a thousand people - my kids love them.

The impression I get is that the smaller festivals/events may be in a better position than the big ones because they have a smaller logistical tail - quite simply it's easier to rustle up 50 portaloos at 3 weeks notice than it is 5,000 - they will be able to respond to 'breaks in the cloud' in a way that some vast behemoth that takes 18 months to organise won't.

There's a couple around here that I really hope go ahead - music, food, outdoors, maybe a thousand people - my kids love them.

Someone might innovate in this space?

Killer B pointed out a gig a few weeks ago, we went it was nice to go, but covid safe meant no crowd really. It's weird and I'd prob avoid till we can breathe each other's germs again.
This. So much of what makes a gig is almost incidental to what’s coming out of the speakers.

BristolEcho : I rreally don't think that being downhearted about Glastonbury (and lots of other festivals) not happening this year means that you;re oblivious to all the other bad** -- things about the pandemic

Of course there's 'more at stake', but this is a 'Glastonbury cancelled' thread after all!

There are plenty of other threads/discussions here about all the other Covid aspects. I've contributed loads on those threads,and read them even more.

Pretty much all the festivals we go to (in normal years!) are considerably smaller than Glastonbury, incidentally.

BristolEcho : I rreally don't think that being downhearted about Glastonbury (and lots of other festivals) not happening this year, means that you;re oblivious to all the other bad** things about the pandemic

Sure. I dont think you are oblivious to the other things. It's probably just your posting style (only on this subject) that rubs a bit.

The constant denial/hope that it would be on last year when the world was falling apart. Thankfully it was cancelled because if the approach to eat out to help out proved anything it's that we really can't fuck around with this virus. Then the words you use to describe your feelings yesterday just felt a bit strong for the topic.

As I said I get it. I love dancing and I go out 2-3 times a month. In normal times I would be depressed and lost for words if you said that I couldn't do that for a couple of months let alone a year plus.

At the moment though I am absolutely glad that I can't. I am glad and relieved that we are not going to put people at further risk when things are this grim. I really don't think you can manage the risk effectively and I definitely don't trust organisations that are ultimately focused on profit to implement them. Especially when they don't have to deal directly with the fall out from it.

Last edited:
BristolEcho : I get all your points. I don't even disagree much.

I'm very aware than prediction-wise, I screwed up 100% last year with predictions for Glastonbury (and all the other festivsls) :oops:

Hence my being much more pessimistic from a much earlier stage about them for 2021.

I've probably been guilty of over-channelling a lot of my feeling down about coronavisus generally (and all its big disasters :( ) into feeling down about no festivals -- that was the biggest Negative of my Year in the Xmas Five Highs and Five Lows thread.

Which might? demonstrate lack of perspective to some, but if Glastonbury had gone ahead this coming June, it would be our 23rd ( 11th working).
And as I said, we go to many many other smaller fests every summer too.

So lack of festivals two years running is bound to be a major downer :(

However hard I try -- and I do -- to focus on the more important Covid downsides :(

I think it's fine to be down about it, they're important to you and I don't think that because it is one thing that is important to you means you don't care about all the other shit stuff that is happening. :)

Thankyou :cool:

I don't think BristolEcho even thinks that either, TBF :)

I was just trying to rationalise my own thoughts atm, more than anything else :confused:

Back
Top Bottom