Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2024

I loved it last year when there had been all those rumours around who the churnups were going to be. At the start of the set, Dave Grohl ran triumphantly on stage, the camera panned to him to show him on the big screens either side of the stage, just as a massive flag got waved right between him and the camera, completely obscuring the big reveal moment.

Brilliant. Why they don’t ban them I’ve no idea.

Festival goers: don’t people use GPS apps now to ensure they can find their friends and their tent? Aren’t flags obsolete?

Festival goers: don’t people use GPS apps now to ensure they can find their friends and their tent? Aren’t flags obsolete?
Install what3words has become a Glasto tip on forums and websites.

I weep a little at this as it’s a right of passage to:
get completely and utterly fucking lost, get adopted by randoms like Tarzan, have a blast with your new pals before eventually being reunited with your friends and or family either missing an item of clothing or wearing a new one you acquired somehow.

If you don’t have one of these anecdotes did you even go?

I suspect there have still been too many network unreliabilities at events for people to have confidence in that. Glastonbury 2022 was especially bad, even infrastructure type network started failing at times.

That said, I suspect the suggestion of flags looking good on TV is a bigger reason these days too. Go to the festival and have your friends at home see where you are from your flag, then rewatch your flag on the footage afterwards too.

I suspect there have still been too many network unreliabilities at events for people to have confidence in that. Glastonbury 2022 was especially bad, even infrastructure type network started failing at times.

That said, I suspect the suggestion of flags looking good on TV is a bigger reason these days too. Go to the festival and have your friends at home see where you are from your flag, then rewatch your flag on the footage afterwards too.

GPS isn’t network-dependent, although operator services may increase accuracy somewhat.

GPS isn’t network-dependent, although operator services may increase accuracy somewhat.
I bought an EE contract as Glastonbury partnered with them for years and installed lots of towers there previously.

Glastonbury switch to Vodafone a week later. Bastards.

Got a pay as you go Vodafone sim for the month of Glastonbury.

Ended up using my EE most of the time. The service was far better.

Install what3words has become a Glasto tip on forums and websites.

I weep a little at this as it’s a right of passage to:
get completely and utterly fucking lost, get adopted by randoms like Tarzan, have a blast with your new pals before eventually being reunited with your friends and or family either missing an item of clothing or wearing a new one you acquired somehow.

If you don’t have one of these anecdotes did you even go?
/Old fart alert

Because young-uns these days rely far too much on technology. They don't seem prepared to put their phone down and just try to "wing-it" any more.

/Old fart.

No word on whether I've got my volunteering slot yet, so ticket balance paid in the meantime.

If I need to cancel my punter's ticket in a day or a month, I would lost my £25 deposit regardless, so I may as well err on the side of caution, pay now and see if I hear about volunteering at a later date - hopefully before the deadline.

No word on whether I've got my volunteering slot yet, so ticket balance paid in the meantime.

If I need to cancel my punter's ticket in a day or a month, I would lost my £25 deposit regardless, so I may as well err on the side of caution, pay now and see if I hear about volunteering at a later date - hopefully before the deadline.
Found out yesterday from a fellow volunteer that it could be anything up to 2 weeks before the confirmation e-mails go out! Just as well I paid my balance off then! :(

Aargh - I have a travel dilemma. Getting there as a crew member is difficult as public transport is pretty much non-existent, especially on a Sunday.

I've booked a return train to Bristol Temple Meads (4.5 hours) but getting on to Pilton from there is proving tricky.

I've been offered a lift in a friend's van from Glastonbury Town itself (NB they're not going to the festival itself), BUT the proviso is I have to spend 1.5 hours getting a bus to Glastonbury first. I don't really fancy spending another 90 minutes on a bus getting there (IF it runs on time - we are talking about Firstbus after all). Plus my train gets in JUST after the bus leaves which means waiting best part of an hour for the next one.

I'm very grateful for the offer, but I'm trying to negotiate "meeting them halfway" and find an easier/quicker way to get them to pick me up without putting them out much.

I'm trying to persuade a them to collect me in Bridgwater (or even Burnham at a push) as that is a shitload easier and quicker to get to on the train from Temple Meads and not that far from Glastonbury itself. I'm more than prepared to cover fuel costs.

They are hand-wringing about driving the van to Bridgwater as it's just over 6m long and has a poor turning circle meaning they can’t get into many car parks plus the height is 2.6m, which limits which car parks they can use.

The alternative is to get a train from Temple Meads to Castle Cary (changing at Westbury) then getting the shuttle bus to the Festival.

I've posted on several Liftshare and Crew pages to see if anyone is travelling anywhere near, but to no avail!

At the risk of jinxing it for you, I note that current long range modelling (various key models) suggests that, despite how it looks and feels right now, the weather might become increasingly more seasonable as we progress through the last week of the month (and then into July). Before then though, there is the potential for a fair bit of rain at times, perhaps significant in places.

Does anyone here need a public car pass? I'm leaving for site in the morning so it needs dealing with this afternoon

The weather forecast isn't completely nailed on yet. There's still a lot of spread in the models, especially in the Fri-Sun timeframe. Temperatures are almost certain to dip noticeably, and some nights could feel a little chilly. If you are in luck then most of the unsettled weather will be steered further north (or south). However there are some signals for rain starting to venture into some of the key models (might manifest as strings of thunderstorms eg Saturday night into Sunday). Likely this will be dependent on upstream jet developments on the US E coast, and whether that picks up and magnifies a (currently small) low pressure feature out over the Atlantic and subsequently drives it towards S UK.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: izz
The weather forecast isn't completely nailed on yet. There's still a lot of spread in the models, especially in the Fri-Sun timeframe. Temperatures are almost certain to dip noticeably, and some nights could feel a little chilly. If you are in luck then most of the unsettled weather will be steered further north (or south). However there are some signals for rain starting to venture into some of the key models (might manifest as strings of thunderstorms eg Saturday night into Sunday). Likely this will be dependent on upstream jet developments on the US E coast, and whether that picks up and magnifies a (currently small) low pressure feature out over the Atlantic and subsequently drives it towards S UK.
I absolutely love it when someone talks technical on a subject, especially when I know nothing about it. More of this please 😊🌞⛈️

Anyone able to get me in or sneak me in? Or hook me up with any kind of work?

Failing that.. im well keen to go and planning to dress up and stroll in. Any advice?! Is it still possible? :D

Got several thousand glasto attendees queuing for their coach’s at my work. Well behaved white people.

Back
Top Bottom