Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Get Well Poly Styrene

Hope her treatment is successful. I know a couple of ladies who have won against breast cancer :)

She's in a hospice now after the cancer spread to her spine. That doesn't sound too encouraging. :(

Her new album came out today.

Poly-Styrene-007.jpg

Styrene, a feminist punk hero acknowledged by everyone from Beth*Ditto to Karen O as one of music's most*extraordinary women, went to her GP in the south coastal town of St Leonards-on-Sea, and was told to take painkillers. Eventually, after months of*growing agony and being bounced between GP and A&E, she demanded an MRI scan. The diagnosis sent her reeling: breast cancer had spread to her*spine and lungs. Then "a little fall" fractured her spine in two places.

Three months on, the singer is promoting the ironically upbeat album, Generation Indigo, from a St Leonards hospice bed, barely able to move, in a room containing a TV and a wheelchair. But despite only recently being given cancer "wonder drug" Herceptin (her liver is too weak for chemo), she bears no grudges. "My GP said it was a tricky one to find," she says.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/mar/23/poly-styrene-interview

Sounds bad - hope she can beat it. I'm looking forward to hearing her new album (but not posthumously I hope). Good luck Polly.

I only saw a review of her new album the other day and didn't realise she was in such a bad way. :( Hope she can pull through - she was one of my first female musical heroines.

Hope you pull through Polly - yer a good 'un, and though I discovered your music somewhat late in the day, I still find "Germ Free Adolescents" toe-tapping punkoid fun.

Back
Top Bottom