Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Music that passed you by that you now want to get in to

There’s also a band called Martha that tick most of those, but they’re a bit catchy and the tunes are very much based around the notes they are actually playing.
God I fucking hate Martha. Not the band as people, they seem like genuinely lovely, extremely decent human beings. Just their fucking dull tedious mediocre music.

God I fucking hate Martha. Not the band as people, they seem like genuinely lovely, extremely decent human beings. Just their fucking dull tedious mediocre music.

Saw them at a gig a few months back - they were fun.

And yeah, they do seem like a good bunch of young ‘uns. Had a chat with the tall lad.

I didn’t know them, so I had a listen. I think I’d probably have bought an EP in 1987, listened to it twice, and bought them a drink at the bar after their gig. But I don’t feel the need to explore their oeuvre any further. But good luck to them.

I didn’t know them, so I had a listen. I think I’d probably have bought an EP in 1987, listened to it twice, and bought them a drink at the bar after their gig. But I don’t feel the need to explore their oeuvre any further. But good luck to them.
I was slightly surprised by the strength of my own instinctive reaction to them! I think it might be one of those things where if you see a band whose recorded output you don't care much about, often it's a great experience and you enjoy the music in a way you never would have done otherwise, and then every once in a while you just find yourself spending your entire set being annoyed by their music in a way you wouldn't have done otherwise. (Sorry Martha, you do all seem like lovely people etc.)

Finding myself drawn to garage recently, despite mostly ignoring it in its heyday in the 90s/early 00s - was too busy stomping to techno in grimy pit at the time and didn’t like the bling side of clubbing - just wasn’t my style and I wasn’t prepared to dance uncomfortably in shoes while surrounded by the overbearing pong of cologne and perfume
Sounds a bit like Bon Bonnes in Herne Hill :hmm:

I quite like garage myself but don’t like clubs.

First album and the 'hits'. As I recall the other LPs didn't have much to offer bar the bigger singles. Cutter, Seven Seas, Killing Moon, Bring on the dancing horses. . I do like the hits, though I am generally keen on a lot of 80s pop.
Pffft... Ocean rain is one of the greatest albums ever.

If you haven't checked out the likes of Lankum, and also John Francis Flynn - am going to recommend you to remedy this.

Ok, it's a bit of a cheat bigging up "new" artists, but in fairness, Lankum (formerly Lynched) have several albums under their belt at this stage, and Flynn used to be in Skippers Alley. His debut solo album is a thing of beauty. Hints of Nick Drake and Christy Moore in there.

Last edited:
I am proper the old bloke now whingeing about young people's music. But surely this time it's right! What the fuck is the point of it?
What's the point of new music? Says every middle aged person ever! ;)

There's so much exciting stuff out there, that's the point.

We have so much to discover, old and new. Can never quite comprehend why some just get stuck in their twenties tastes and dismiss anything that comes after. It's like watching TotP with a parent complaining about any of the new acts...

Rant not specifically aimed at you, Magnus!

2000s electro, that's one that passed me by at the time that I've had to retrofill in my knowledge over the last decade or so. Would I have had a better time in the 2000s if I'd spent more time listening to Goldfrapp and the Rapture instead of Oi Polloi and the Inner Terrestrials? Dunno.

What's the point of new music? Says every middle aged person ever! ;)

There's so much exciting stuff out there, that's the point.

We have so much to discover, old and new. Can never quite comprehend why some just get stuck in their twenties tastes and dismiss anything that comes after. It's like watching TotP with a parent complaining about any of the new acts...

Rant not specifically aimed at you, Magnus!

I’m not against new music. It’s just I get the chance to catch the mainstream stuff on Christmas TOTP and it sounds utterly shit. Just all really middle of the road and not really saying anything.

Now if we look at this:

826C0F3F-3587-441C-86E1-60CD075D6C79.jpeg

This wasn’t even Christmas and there’s at least two tracks I actually like.

Loved all of them, Tbh
And there’s some seriously strong vocalists there. Elton John, Jimmy Somerville and George Michael. Ed Sheeran appears to be the new kid on the block but does he even compare with the above, musically or vocally? It’s like real talent just isn’t getting through anymore.

I was in the thrash metal/hardcore punk tribe as a youth so i wasn’t supposed to like anything else (i remember the furore about Kerrang putting Prince on the cover and pointing out he’s actually an amazing guitarist).

But my first musical love was ABBA. And I’m a player which expands your appreciation of music generally. I think The Smiths were the ones that really passed me by. I remember a mate playing me some Smiths’ cuts and me saying ‘great playing lousy vocals’. Still feel that way but the songs are better with Marr singing them I think.

And there’s some seriously strong vocalists there. Elton John, Jimmy Somerville and George Michael. Ed Sheeran appears to be the new kid on the block but does he even compare with the above, musically or vocally? It’s like real talent just isn’t getting through anymore.
Of course "real talent" is getting through, you're just not listening to it :D

Currently listening to Christine and the Queen's, now there's a voice. Also, Sault, Little Simz, Wet Leg and The Gabriel's. You might like the latter, as the singer's voice is a bit reminiscent of Jimmy Somerville.

Back
Top Bottom