Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Music that passed you by that you now want to get in to

OK I got to confess, I've never knowingly heard the Fall. But where would you start? No idea if i'd like them but everyone seems to go on about them as something special.
Honestly I think there's no shame in starting off with one of the various compilations, like 50,000 Fall Fans or something and then see if there's one era that particularly grabs you from that. Either that or listen to absolutely everything in chronological order starting with Live at the Witch Trials.

Can anyone tell me if I'd like Mitski?

First album and the 'hits'. As I recall the other LPs didn't have much to offer bar the bigger singles. Cutter, Seven Seas, Killing Moon, Bring on the dancing horses. . I do like the hits, though I am generally keen on a lot of 80s pop.

The second side of Ocean Rain is flawless.

Porcupine is a great record but it's gloomy as fuck, one you have to be in the right mood for.

Listened to The Jam, their first release, the other day. Not bad, bit like The Who, which also went for a spin.

They're both very earnest and yet, do wonder why didn't really bother with them for years. The better half is more of a Jam/Style Council fan, although did buy a Weller solo album some years back.

There are quite a few bands I just didn't get or wasn't aware of at the time & enjoyed later.

The Smiths , I was perfect fodder , I was a miserablist indy student , didn't take to them at the time , maybe 20 years later , wow !

Cocteau Twins - similar to above

#morelater

There are quite a few bands I just didn't get or wasn't aware of at the time & enjoyed later.

The Smiths , I was perfect fodder , I was a miserablist indy student , didn't take to them at the time , maybe 20 years later , wow !

Cocteau Twins - similar to above

#morelater
Just as getting into The Smiths, they went and split. Which, looking back, was probably for the best.

LCD Soundsystem for me.

Heard something early on and dismissed it as a rubbish cross between New Order and The Fall by some jonny-come-lately commercial indie types.

Now think Sound of Silver is one of the best albums ever made. Incredible breadth and two classics in All My Friends and New York I Love You. North American Scum is witty genius too, but I think I've heard it too many times now.

LCD Soundsystem for me.

Heard something early on and dismissed it as a rubbish cross between New Order and The Fall by some jonny-come-lately commercial indie types.

Now think Sound of Silver is one of the best albums ever made. Incredible breadth and two classics in All My Friends and New York I Love You. North American Scum is witty genius too, but I think I've heard it too many times now.
Yes, yes! Picked up the first 3 albums for next to nothing recently. Most excellent.

Also two of the Primal Screams, which had previously avoided. Owned Screamadelica for years and was put off by the follow up. After that, just felt they could never top Screamadelica, but have discovered Vanishing Point and XTRMNTR are well listenable.

LCD Soundsystem for me.

At least three classics, surely, counting Someone Great?

Oh, and Mogwai.

I was and remain a huge fan of Godspeed You! Black Emperor, but always bristled at the idea of other bands like them and the whole idea of post rock as a genre (although I do love a lot of the associated Montréal scene that came with them).

Dismissed Mogwai as pale, slightly more commercial, rock imitations. I now admit I was very wrong. Don't like everything they do, but Rano Pano is a work of genius, and selected albums are some of the best stuff to come out of these isles in recent decades.

I might be ready for some jazz I suppose. I dig some of it, but very selectively. I’m not great with music that rewards attention.

I might be ready for some jazz I suppose. I dig some of it, but very selectively. I’m not great with music that rewards attention.
Just say no! Taking jazz leads to terrible addiction and ruination. It all starts off innocently enough, people who seem cool offering you a go on Some Kind of Blue and Duke Ellington and you think you can handle it, but that's just the start and as you get drawn in it takes you over. You're so desperate for your next hit of Cannonball Adderley that you stop hanging out with old friends like disco and techno, you start talking relentlessly about obscure old saxophonists and end up posting YouTube videos showing the mathematical relation of notes in Miles Davies' music. I've lost good friends to jazz addictions, they're never free of it no matter how hard they try. Choose life. Be the best you can be - be jazz free.

Listened to The Jam, their first release, the other day. Not bad, bit like The Who, which also went for a spin.

They're both very earnest and yet, do wonder why didn't really bother with them for years. The better half is more of a Jam/Style Council fan, although did buy a Weller solo album some years back.
I like the Jam, but never listen to them. The Who I’ve never got at all. I don’t see what the fuss is about.

With Jazz I think I’d really get into the 1930s stuff like you hear in mob movies. But I wouldn’t know what to search for.
I might have the decade wrong.

I've been wanting to get into heavy metal now for about 20 years and i just can't. But then when a heavy metalist talks about their passion i want to all over again. I even hear tracks that are of the heavy metal oeuvre and they sound great to me. But once i sit down with an album and try to listen it just does my head in.

My new partner is an obsessive Depeche Mode fan. I've just started listening to them properly after decades of not really being bothered and I have discovered that he might actually have a point.

My new partner is an obsessive Depeche Mode fan. I've just started listening to them properly after decades of not really being bothered and I have discovered that he might actually have a point.
I find they sound good in the car, and the odd track, but i can't really do a whole album.

I like the Jam, but never listen to them. The Who I’ve never got at all. I don’t see what the fuss is about.
Those that about both groups for decades. Maybe got softened up and more receptive to them. Sounds silly now but they were (wrongly) seen by mates as union Jack waving bands back in the day, so most of us ignored them.

It was all about Madness, Blondie, Bob Marley, Queen, Thin Lizzy and The Boomtown Rats back then.

Yes!

After seeing them in 86, was bowled over. But only got the classic 90s stuff a couple of years ago. The new single is ok, very obviously acknowledging their Kraftwerk debts...

Yes!

After seeing them in 86, was bowled over. But only got the classic 90s stuff a couple of years ago. The new single is ok, very obviously acknowledging their Kraftwerk debts...
I'm quite amazed at how good they are. I remembered loving Black Celebration when it came out but it stopped there for me. I listened to that again - was massively impressed again - and then loved Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion.

I've listened to the new album - because of course he was queuing up on the day of release to buy it - and it sounds OK but I haven't given it my full attention yet.

I am now excited about seeing them later this year rather than just going because he wants me to.

I'm quite amazed at how good they are. I remembered loving Black Celebration when it came out but it stopped there for me. I listened to that again - was massively impressed again - and then loved Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion.

I am now excited about seeing them later this year rather than just going because he wants me to.
Black Celebration was the album tour and it still holds up today.

Hope you enjoy the gig!

I've been wanting to get into heavy metal now for about 20 years and i just can't. But then when a heavy metalist talks about their passion i want to all over again. I even hear tracks that are of the heavy metal oeuvre and they sound great to me. But once i sit down with an album and try to listen it just does my head in.
I’ll get you into metal. The first album I bought was Among The Living by Anthrax and it made me feel sick! I like it now though. What have you listened to? Led Zeppelin are a good route in. But the progressive metal in terms of politics are at the thrashier end which is harder to get into. Master of Puppets (the track) is about drug addiction. Here a guy breaks it down and tells you why it’s great musically.

And then if that sounds interesting listen to the track. It starts heavy but there’s a slowed down bit midway through.

Back
Top Bottom