Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Music that passed you by that you now want to get in to

I’ll get you into metal. The first album I bought was Among The Living by Anthrax and it made me feel sick! I like it now though. What have you listened to? Led Zeppelin are a good route in. But the progressive metal in terms of politics are at the thrashier end which is harder to get into. Master of Puppets (the track) is about drug addiction. Here a guy breaks it down and tells you why it’s great musically.

And then if that sounds interesting listen to the track. It starts heavy but there’s a slowed down bit midway through.

Well, my partner was into left wing, heavy industrial stuff - a lot of which i liked. Actual names elude me right now but i usually recognise them if i hear them. He also liked metal but tended not to play it if i was around. After he died i did try to get into his Spotify account but couldn't. He didn't leave any actual hard copies of anything as he had lost it all just before he met me.

I used to like Zeppelin but have got kind of bored of it over the years.

Well, my partner was into left wing, heavy industrial stuff - a lot of which i liked. Actual names elude me right now but i usually recognise them if i hear them. He also liked metal but tended not to play it if i was around. After he died i did try to get into his Spotify account but couldn't. He didn't leave any actual hard copies of anything as he had lost it all just before he met me.

I used to like Zeppelin but have got kind of bored of it over the years.
Isn’t Industrial more electronic like Nine Inch Nails type stuff?
Sorry to hear about your partner.

Led Zeppelin is a good in to the genre. It's heavily influenced by blues, and is quite a distance from later metal, though. Would recommend Black Sabbath first 4 albums, as well. And possibly, from the Dio era, Heaven and Hell. No, feck it, it's a great album with solid production from the late Martin Birch.

Moving to early 80s, there's Iron Maiden, but they kinda lose their mojo after Powerslave. Arguably. The album where Bruce Dickinson returned much later is not bad... forgot the name.

Then you got Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeath, Slayer. Late 80s onwards... faster and going stratospheric. As with a lot of these bands, the early output is the best, imho.

And (very controversial) Pantera, lead singer has really messed their legacy, though. More importantly, would say, is the astounding Sepultura in the 90s. They are something else. On Roots they bring in a Brazilian indigenous sound and it really works. And very much the opposite, politically, of the former band's (lead singer's) alleged views.

Entombed, Cathedral, Shai Hulud, Chthonic are some other faves and then if you want a bit Middle Earth/ over the top/Queen like... would recommend Blind Guardian and Rhapsody of Fire. Actually, Queen's second album is kinda metal, so that's a good one to get into the vibe.

It's debatable that it's a male orientated genre, not exclusively, but certainly was when started listening 40 years ago. That said, the better half is slowly getting into some of it. Especially Sepultura!

Isn’t Industrial more electronic like Nine Inch Nails type stuff?
Sorry to hear about your partner.
it has a very wide spectrum as far as i can tell - NIN seems to be the more commercial end of it tbh - not really to my taste. There's definitely a point where HM seems to overlap with industrial. But my partner liked both - i think he was into HM as a teenager and young adult and then got into NIN and Ministry and then by the time i met him he was mostly into hard industrial. I prefer the more electronic stuff like Cabaret Voltaire, and the Krautrock influenced stuff from Germany and he preferred more guitary stuff. Though we overlapped loads. Also we both liked Gary Numan :hmm:. He hated Zeppelin though, loved Black Sabbath. He used to hang out with Pop Will Eat Itself at college and he loved them too but he never really strayed far from HM and industrial.

Thanks.

Led Zeppelin is a good in to the genre. It's heavily influenced by blues, and is quite a distance from later metal, though. Would recommend Black Sabbath first 4 albums, as well. And possibly, from the Dio era, Heaven and Hell. No, feck it, it's a great album with solid production from the late Martin Birch.

Moving to early 80s, there's Iron Maiden, but they kinda lose their mojo after Powerslave. Arguably. The album where Bruce Dickinson returned much later is not bad... forgot the name.

Then you got Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeath, Slayer. Late 80s onwards... faster and going stratospheric. As with a lot of these bands, the early output is the best, imho.

And (very controversial) Pantera, lead singer has really messed their legacy, though. More importantly, would say, is the astounding Sepultura in the 90s. They are something else. On Roots they bring in a Brazilian indigenous sound and it really works. And very much the opposite, politically, of the former band's (lead singer's) alleged views.

Entombed, Cathedral, Shai Hulud, Chthonic are some other faves and then if you want a bit Middle Earth/ over the top/Queen like... would recommend Blind Guardian and Rhapsody of Fire. Actually, Queen's second album is kinda metal, so that's a good one to get into the vibe.

It's debatable that it's a male orientated genre, not exclusively, but certainly was when started listening 40 years ago. That said, the better half is slowly getting into some of it. Especially Sepultura!
Yeah, I got into metal in the 80s which I’d argue is the best decade for it. We must be of a similar age maybe? I almost agree with your assessment of Iron Maiden but I did like Somewhere In Time which came after Powerslave, but thought they went shit after that so we’re almost in the same ball park on them I think. I stopped buying new metal at the end of the 80s anyway. I was into necking pills and listening to the Mondays and Roses by that point.

I'm quite good at separating the artist from the art tbh - essential really in any genre of music - even jazz. Maybe especially jazz - quite a few wife beaters in the history of jazz.

I've been through all of Zeppelin already and these days find it a tad boring. I've also dipped into some lists of proto HM that have been going around on the internet with some success. Have tried to listen to Black Sabbath and it depends on my mood a lot. My first long term partner tried to get me into 80s HM and it was hit and miss at best. I guess I'd be better off going straight at current bands - i might even have a chance to see some of them live.

Feel free to chuck names at me - and I'll go off and investigate.

it has a very wide spectrum as far as i can tell - NIN seems to be the more commercial end of it tbh - not really to my taste. There's definitely a point where HM seems to overlap with industrial. But my partner liked both - i think he was into HM as a teenager and young adult and then got into NIN and Ministry and then by the time i met him he was mostly into hard industrial. I prefer the more electronic stuff like Cabaret Voltaire, and the Krautrock influenced stuff from Germany and he preferred more guitary stuff. Though we overlapped loads. Also we both liked Gary Numan :hmm:. He hated Zeppelin though, loved Black Sabbath. He used to hang out with Pop Will Eat Itself at college and he loved them too but he never really strayed far from HM and industrial.

Thanks.
Fair enough, I don’t know much about the underground side of Industrial. NIN were always a niche though so only snobbery would diminish their work as ‘commercial’ (as if being successful is anathema to writing good music)

Fair enough, I don’t know much about the underground side of Industrial. NIN were always a niche though so only snobbery would diminish their work as ‘commercial’ (as if being successful is anathema to writing good music)
Well, commercial being used as a relative term I think - certainly there's lots of NIN that is less commercial - but they were incredibly popular at one point. Anyway I don't use commercial as a pejorative - i do still love a bit of Human League at times.

Yeah, I got into metal in the 80s which I’d argue is the best decade for it. We must be of a similar age maybe? I almost agree with your assessment of Iron Maiden but I did like Somewhere In Time which came after Powerslave, but thought they went shit after that so we’re almost in the same ball park on them I think. I stopped buying new metal at the end of the 80s anyway. I was into necking pills and listening to the Mondays and Roses by that point.
Mondays and Stone Roses - have only recently started listening to again. Really seeing the influence of Can in some of their stuff. And The Byrd's, possibly, in the case of the latter?

Around same time as them in late 80s and early 90s, was into Sonic Youth, Pixies, Living Colour, Jane's Addiction and Nirvana and their influence has led to discovering bands like Pavement and the Mars Volta.

What do love is being able to delve into the hundred years or so of popular music, whatever genre. It's now so much easier to find and learn about the artists and dig deeper...

Especially as we're not teens anymore and not bound to perhaps peer pressure or what the music press would have us believe then as to what is "cool". Lol.

Also, yeah, Prince.

Funk, rock, metal, blues, all of that. He was truly amazing and you can see he worked in his influences (George Clinton, Sly and the Family Stone, Little Richard, Rick James etc) into his own unique output.

Am rambling now, but it's all connected.. going back to Elvis, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Chuck Berry etc. It's cyclical.

It's weird, getting older (we may well be a similar vintage) and more into old and new sounds more than ever.

I'm quite good at separating the artist from the art tbh - essential really in any genre of music - even jazz. Maybe especially jazz - quite a few wife beaters in the history of jazz.

I've been through all of Zeppelin already and these days find it a tad boring. I've also dipped into some lists of proto HM that have been going around on the internet with some success. Have tried to listen to Black Sabbath and it depends on my mood a lot. My first long term partner tried to get me into 80s HM and it was hit and miss at best. I guess I'd be better off going straight at current bands - i might even have a chance to see some of them live.

Am terrible at remembering "new" names, but there's a drone metal band called Sun O))) who are pretty fascinating. Probably not traditional metal but excellent to zone out to.

And if you like them, these guys are pretty damn good too, although more "rock" perhaps

Mondays and Stone Roses - have only recently started listening to again. Really seeing the influence of Can in some of their stuff. And The Byrd's, possibly, in the case of the latter?

Around same time as them in late 80s and early 90s, was into Sonic Youth, Pixies, Living Colour, Jane's Addiction and Nirvana and their influence has led to discovering bands like Pavement and the Mars Volta.

What do love is being able to delve into the hundred years or so of popular music, whatever genre. It's now so much easier to find and learn about the artists and dig deeper...

Especially as we're not teens anymore and not bound to perhaps peer pressure or what the music press would have us believe then as to what is "cool". Lol.

Also, yeah, Prince.

Funk, rock, metal, blues, all of that. He was truly amazing and you can see he worked in his influences (George Clinton, Sly and the Family Stone, Little Richard, Rick James etc) into his own unique output.

Am rambling now, but it's all connected.. going back to Elvis, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Chuck Berry etc. It's cyclical.

It's weird, getting older (we may well be a similar vintage) and more into old and new sounds more than ever.
I think The Fall had a lot of influence on the Manchester scene but they remained the rank outsider. Perhaps they, or he, was the cutting edge to it all.

Funk is a funny one to me. Love Prince but my favourite all time funk track is Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick. There should be a whole genre like that. But there isn’t. It was a one off.

Am terrible at remembering "new" names, but there's a drone metal band called Sun O))) who are pretty fascinating. Probably not traditional metal but excellent to zone out to.

And if you like them, these guys are pretty damn good too, although more "rock" perhaps

this could qualify as meditation music ;)

Anyway I do like this very much - so thanks for that.

I find myself much more drawn to instrumental music than i used to be. I find vocals to be a distraction from the music.

Last edited:
Finding myself drawn to garage recently, despite mostly ignoring it in its heyday in the 90s/early 00s - was too busy stomping to techno in grimy pit at the time and didn’t like the bling side of clubbing - just wasn’t my style and I wasn’t prepared to dance uncomfortably in shoes while surrounded by the overbearing pong of cologne and perfume

Any particular subgenre of metal? Health and Uniform are two I quite rate for the noisy end of industrial, you might like Pop 1280, Midnight are incredibly dumb fun classic metal. At the avantgarde end of things, you might either like or hate The Body and Thou.

I think The Fall had a lot of influence on the Manchester scene but they remained the rank outsider. Perhaps they, or he, was the cutting edge to it all.

Funk is a funny one to me. Love Prince but my favourite all time funk track is Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick. There should be a whole genre like that. But there isn’t. It was a one off.
Mark E Smith and Ian Dury were one offs, but even then, both influenced by numerous artists and genres. The former... despite appreciating various tracks, still have a bit of problem with his megalomania and later views concerning immigration. It wasn't really reported in the UK but there was an interview in Ireland's Hot Press, and he didn't come across so well.

Having said that, it was mild compared to yet man from Pantera, so can't really dismiss his output.

Anyway, so many artists come out with bollocks over the years.

Guaranteed every single musician let's us down at some stage with various views and actions!

Like, Charles Mingus was a bit of a god, to me, and then read his autobiography a couple of years back. Bloody hell.

Jazz is like metal, in a way. So involving and yet daunting to newcomers... but also rewarding when you dive in and upsetting when you look at their words instead of their music.

That said, both genres with roots in the working class, so not to be dismissed. There's something undeniably powerful about the sounds, despite the differences in the execution.

Mark E Smith and Ian Dury were one offs, but even then, both influenced by numerous artists and genres. The former... despite appreciating various tracks, still have a bit of problem with his megalomania and later views concerning immigration. It wasn't really reported in the UK but there was an interview in Ireland's Hot Press, and he didn't come across so well.

Having said that, it was mild compared to yet man from Pantera, so can't really dismiss his output.

Anyway, so many artists come out with bollocks over the years.

Guaranteed every single musician let's us down at some stage with various views and actions!

Like, Charles Mingus was a bit of a god, to me, and then read his autobiography a couple of years back. Bloody hell.

Jazz is like metal, in a way. So involving and yet daunting to newcomers... but also rewarding when you dive in and upsetting when you look at their words instead of their music.

That said, both genres with roots in the working class, so not to be dismissed. There's something undeniably powerful about the sounds, despite the differences in the execution.
I didn’t really know MES politics tbh beyond him being a bit of a contrarian. He was a cunt to his workers though which ought to give leftists pause for thought but doesn’t seem to.
No idea why Morrissey has gone full Farage. I guess he isn’t really part of the class anymore. Does he even live in the UK? Isn’t he in LA now?
I still like The Smiths though.

I didn’t really know MES politics tbh beyond him being a bit of a contrarian. He was a cunt to his workers though which ought to give leftists pause for thought but doesn’t seem to.
No idea why Morrissey has gone full Farage. I guess he isn’t really part of the class anymore. Does he even live in the UK? Isn’t he in LA now?
I still like The Smiths though.
Morrissey started dabbling in far right imagery back in the late 80s, and who knows how long before that - I'm guessing he kept it quiet because he knew other members of The Smiths would not stand for it.
Yeah, he's lived in LA for a while now - a couple of decades I think.

I think MES got a pass because he was creative - like a lot of abusive band leaders do - Captain Beefheart was another one like that.

I think MES got a pass because he was creative - like a lot of abusive band leaders do - Captain Beefheart was another one like tat.
I’ve said before on the boards that it just so happened I read the Fallen, the Beefheart biography by Mike Barnes and the Neil Young biography, Shaky, one after the other. It was remarkable that all their collaborators said the same of them all “Oh, genius-level creative, but personally speaking, utter wanker”. Miles Davis is another example.

I’m not sure it’s so much giving them “a pass” as recognising that enjoying their artistic output is not necessarily the same as wanting to spend any actual time with them.

I’ve said before on the boards that it just so happened I read the Fallen, the Beefheart biography by Mike Barnes and the Neil Young biography, Shaky, one after the other. It was remarkable that all their collaborators said the same of them all “Oh, genius-level creative, but personally speaking, utter wanker”. Miles Davis is another example.

I’m not sure it’s so much giving them “a pass” as recognising that enjoying their artistic output is not necessarily the same as wanting to spend any actual time with them.
Also disagreeing with an artist's politics makes their creative output out of bounds. There'd be nothing left to listen to.

Back
Top Bottom