Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Isn't he one of two brothers or cousins who've been travelling from London to Bury to play? Might be wrong but think that's what it said in their programme when we went there. If he's the one that actually played against us then he's a big, big lad.

I drink wine at the Hamlet. I don't like beer. I've never liked beer - it tastes rank. This is not a class thing: I've hated been since I was a teenaged street drinker.

But out of a proper wine glass? Not quite sure how that happens. The bar serve it to you in a plastic tumbler, just like everything else. Glass glasses strikes me as a bit dangerous.

At a recent home game, the gf (long-time ED resident) brought her friend (also long-time EDR), and rather than queue for ages at the bar, they brought a bottle of white and 2 (plastic) wine glasses. DHFC is right next to a very, affluent middle-class area (as well as some less affluent areas), so it figures that if locals go, some of them will be affluent middle-class and white. There are also a fair few people who come who are friends of the players (comp tickets), some of whom have come up through Gavin Rose's Aspire Academy, which has a catchment area of some very badly off areas, and are thus not necessarily going to white, affluent or middle-class.

Last edited:
On reflection, I don't really mind the Liddle article. It's just silly.

The whole class thing is really boring.

I was mighty pissed off he said Dulwich Hamlet - and women - are shit at football. But that's just the kind of thing you'd hear from a 7 year old who doesn't yet know much about football other than that Barcelona, and especially that little lad Messi, are brilliant. Because everyone says so.

I really don't get people's obsession with class and football. For me, football is for everyone - it doesn't matter what your class, race, gender, etc is. Dulwich is a fairly middle class area so if lots of those people are being attracted to games then in my eyes it's a really good thing, as it demonstrates that the club has appeal in the local area. Getting large numbers of new people to come regularly to matches is a really difficult thing to do - it's something that even far larger, top level clubs struggle with. So the fact that the Hamlet are managing to do it, regardless of the "class" of people that are showing up, is really, really impressive. The more, the merrier.

Isn't he one of two brothers or cousins who've been travelling from London to Bury to play? Might be wrong but think that's what it said in their programme when we went there. If he's the one that actually played against us then he's a big, big lad.
Joe is the one who played, and who had the goal disallowed in the first half. The other one (Chris) was a non-playing substitute.

Put it in The Mixer.

Well not just hump it into the box, no. But when we've got players to the byeline recently the resulting cross has generally been cleared very easily, usually because there's only Harry in there. If this guy can impose himself a bit more than Harry does it might make something more of those crosses, even if it's only keeping the ball in there while others arrive to support him.

A brick shithouse up front might be what we need at the moment. We've been putting crosses in to no real effect so someone like that could really help.

You might be right although I don't think he's massively tall. I think i'd be quite terrified of him if I was a central defender though and anyone who calls themselves 'The Tank' had better be a bit of a handful.

Well not just hump it into the box, no. But when we've got players to the byeline recently the resulting cross has generally been cleared very easily, usually because there's only Harry in there. If this guy can impose himself a bit more than Harry does it might make something more of those crosses, even if it's only keeping the ball in there while others arrive to support him.
We might hold it up a bit better too

You might be right although I don't think he's massively tall. I think i'd be quite terrified of him if I was a central defender though and anyone who calls themselves 'The Tank' had better be a bit of a handful.

To be fair I would be terrified if I had I be the guy to mark Crouch as a defender , no way I'm making them headers I might as well run around with a garden chair and hope I've got time to climb up on it and win the header.

Interested to see how Tank does though!

is0xj.jpg

Will you look at him there, being all working-class with his six-figure salary from a job which entails making shit up for ten minutes every week and spending the rest of his time getting shitfaced and crying in the mirror.
to be fair, not quite on the same salary as him, but I reckon there's one or two behind the goal that play at being working class for ninety minutes every week! ;)

I think the point with Millwall is that Liddle constantly uses them as a reference point for how salt-of-the-earth he is, to the point where he actually takes pride in depicting Millwall fans as knuckle-draggers because he thinks it gives him more credibility. He could just as easily support Leeds, Portsmouth, Cardiff or any other team with a bit of a rep.

Back
Top Bottom