Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Morning,

Today is the last chance to vote in the Chortle comedy awards, where the club's gig has an (outside) shot of being named 'Best Pro Night'. Please vote for us in that category via this link and share it around if you can. You'll need to be logged into a Gmail or Google account to do it. The trophy is going in the Board Room cabinet if we win. Thanks

Attachments

• Chortle 2024 Tory.jpeg
    Chortle 2024 Tory.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Chortle 2024 clean.jpeg
    Chortle 2024 clean.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1
I was pleased to read Ben Clasper's column in the programme yesterday which i understood to mean we are signing up the management team and core of the players for next season whichever division we are in. It is difficult to recover from our bad start but we have moved from being a losing team to a drawing team and now a winning team and everyone knows their role It is a joy to watch these days home and away and it been a while since we have been able to say that

Average ground and in the middle of nowhere, totally shit and not what we need!

Can’t say I’ve been before but now I’m really looking forward to it 😂
I ticked it for our pre-season game with Aveley last July. It's not really any more awkward to get to than Bowers & Pitsea, but it's closer to London. Best part of the day was getting a lift back to Rainham Station, just in time to catch a train, and being in the Shirker's Rest at New Cross by 5pm. (The game was a 2pm kick-off.) It's a functional modern ground with space to expand, so I'll be interested to see what Aveley have done to secure their Step 2 grading. We'll be going there anyway if our promotion run does prove to be unstoppable, unless Aveley somehow win the National South play-offs.

Couple of lovely looking little corrugated iron roof jobbies behind the goal though :-D
Was good - both sets of fans made good noise under them with maybe 80 or so under each. Nice little five row stand opposite the main stand too. (my usual preferred spot at games)

Very modern ground (video screen on a corner), car park was full though an hour before the game. Wish I'd gotten the cheesy chips instead of a burger as it was cheese sauce. (coronary risk but it's a guilty pleasure)

Last Friday the (somehow) leftish newspaper taz published a football related article. It's full of cut and dried opinions, IMHO. But DHFC is the positive twist in the end so you might be interested: taz-article.
Yes. Yes. Oh dear.

I ask three young men why they watch seventh division football.

“We all live in the area, this is a meeting place,” says the first.

“Because you can drink beer here while watching football,” says the second.

“This is not about football, the football here is terrible,” says the third.

I’d love to know where this journalist did their research.

“When the old stadium was to be demolished in the nineties and replaced by a new one, there were protests. In a letter to the municipal council, which was read at a meeting under the laughter of those present, a sentimental fan wrote that the area resembles Tuscany and should not be destroyed by modernisation.

He was voted over and the new stadium was built. Today, the fans of Dulwich adopt this story in their self-deprecating chants - and remember that not everything that is new has to be bad.”

That was no “sentimental fan” that was John Beasley who was expressing opposition to the redevelopment of the current ground in conjunction with Homebase. That failed thanks to the incompetence of those behind the development rather than any concerned efforts from these local nimbies.

I’d love to know where this journalist did their research.

“When the old stadium was to be demolished in the nineties and replaced by a new one, there were protests. In a letter to the municipal council, which was read at a meeting under the laughter of those present, a sentimental fan wrote that the area resembles Tuscany and should not be destroyed by modernisation.

He was voted over and the new stadium was built. Today, the fans of Dulwich adopt this story in their self-deprecating chants - and remember that not everything that is new has to be bad.”

That was no “sentimental fan” that was John Beasley who was expressing opposition to the redevelopment of the current ground in conjunction with Homebase. That failed thanks to the incompetence of those behind the development rather than any concerned efforts from these local nimbies.
It was actually John Beasley quoting from a local resident's letter at the planning meeting that approved the Sainsbury's redevelopment in July 1990. The laughter was partly due to Mishi shouting out "can you stand up please!" as the Sunak sized Beasley rose to his feet and began speaking.

The development that failed (in April 2002) was the "Hambase" proposal to stick a Homebase DIY warehouse/store on the current ground with a new one on Greendale. If I remember rightly, that new ground would have been on the far side of Greendale (i.e. the Metropolitan Open Land part) adjacent to the cycle/footpath of the same name connecting Champion Hill with East Dulwich Grove.

Our benchmark for the playoffs is probably where we finish compared to our friends Billericay. 6 pts ahead of us but we have 2 games in hand and play them at home at the end of the month. They have been on a shocking run of form 5 defeats in a row before Saturday's draw. Our form has been the opposite but also drew on Saturday. If we can finish above them i can see us sneaking in to join probably Chatham, Horsham and Wingate. We also have crucial games against Carshalton, Enfield and Bognor which we prob need to win at least 2.

I put “Dulwich Hamlet Fans” into AI and now I can’t stop hearing battling banjos! 😂

Attachments

• IMG_1187.png
    IMG_1187.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
Our benchmark for the playoffs is probably where we finish compared to our friends Billericay. 6 pts ahead of us but we have 2 games in hand and play them at home at the end of the month. They have been on a shocking run of form 5 defeats in a row before Saturday's draw. Our form has been the opposite but also drew on Saturday. If we can finish above them i can see us sneaking in to join probably Chatham, Horsham and Wingate. We also have crucial games against Carshalton, Enfield and Bognor which we prob need to win at least 2.
In the 3 completed seasons since we were last in this division the lowest points total by a team finishing 5th is 70, the highest is 76, and last season it was 74.

Right now there's quite a narrow spread of points between 3rd place and 12th. (I reckon Hashtag can probably be discounted, 1 point behind us with 2 extra games played.)

Enfield are currently placed 5th on points per game, and their ppg figure multiplied by 42 equates to a fraction below 71 points. Therefore we're probably looking towards the bottom end of that historic target range of 70-76 points.

Obviously the scenario could change if a couple of teams reel off 4 or 5 consecutive wins, but if anyone's going to do that there's no reason why it can't be us. I haven't looked at everyone else's fixtures but there must be quite a few "six pointers".

All 5 matches in the division have been washed out tonight, which featured Bognor v Wingate and away games for Enfield and Horsham, so no one else will have improved their position before Saturday.

Screenshot_20240312_173117_Chrome.jpg

In the 3 completed seasons since we were last in this division the lowest points total by a team finishing 5th is 70, the highest is 76, and last season it was 74.

Right now there's quite a narrow spread of points between 3rd place and 12th. (I reckon Hashtag can probably be discounted, 1 point behind us with 2 extra games played.)

Enfield are currently placed 5th on points per game, and their ppg figure multiplied by 42 equates to a fraction below 71 points. Therefore we're probably looking towards the bottom end of that historic target range of 70-76 points.

Obviously the scenario could change if a couple of teams reel off 4 or 5 consecutive wins, but if anyone's going to do that there's no reason why it can't be us. I haven't looked at everyone else's fixtures but there must be quite a few "six pointers".

All 5 matches in the division have been washed out tonight, which featured Bognor v Wingate and away games for Enfield and Horsham, so no one else will have improved their position before Saturday.

View attachment 415700
Basically you’re talking about going from 1.5ppg (49/32) to 2ppg (73-49)/12. Or to put it another way, being 33% better in the final third than the first two thirds. Tall order but not impossible.

Basically you’re talking about going from 1.5ppg (49/32) to 2ppg (73-49)/12. Or to put it another way, being 33% better in the final third than the first two thirds. Tall order but not impossible.

We've actually been close to the required benchmark for most of the season, but continually playing catch up after the dreadful start yielded just 7 points from the first 9 games.

We currently have 20 points from the last 10 games, and 42 from the last 23. We probably still need a further improvement on recent form. (When we came from mid-table to snatch 5th place 13 years ago we took 25 points from the final 11 games, so it can be done.) A few of the teams who've been ahead of us all season have been flagging in recent weeks, most notably Billericay.

Screenshot_20240312_191730_Chrome.jpg

I know that the club needs to keep stoking the fires of social media but if I'll be sadly unsubscribing from their Insta account if I keep getting salvos of inane, meaningless posts like:

"Every minute matters and we need you"
"The hunt is on"
"Are. You. Ready?"

I know that the club needs to keep stoking the fires of social media but if I'll be sadly unsubscribing from their Insta account if I keep getting salvos of inane, meaningless posts like:

"Every minute matters and we need you"
"The hunt is on"
"Are. You. Ready?"
Hak loves the crowd and believes they inspire the team and could be the difference in whether or not we make the play offs. We need them to know what they mean to the team and to come and help push us as we need to win every game, sorry if that offends.

Hak loves the crowd and believes they inspire the team and could be the difference in whether or not we make the play offs. We need them to know what they mean to the team and to come and help push us as we need to win every game, sorry if that offends.
Yes I get all that. But how does a load of irritating, vacuous posts like 'the hunt is on' bring any of those dividends?

But I guess my opinions don't matter here. What do I know about social media!

Yes I get all that. But how does a load of irritating, vacuous posts like 'the hunt is on' bring any of those dividends?

We do it so people stop, read, and are inspired to act (or comment)

Especially with the second of rare back to back Saturday home league fixtures when a lot of people assume we won’t be at home this week.

The primary job of the club's social media accounts is to shift tickets by making sure Dulwich games stay top of people's minds, and the current social media manager does that very well.

But also, it's fine that you don't enjoy the social media output, it probably just means that you're not the target audience!

The primary job of the club's social media accounts is to shift tickets by making sure Dulwich games stay top of people's minds, and the current social media manager does that very well.

But also, it's fine that you don't enjoy the social media output, it probably just means that you're not the target audience!
Without second-guessing him or putting words into his mouth… I think editor knows all that. I think his point is more that generic output attracts generic fans who produce generic crowds and atmosphere, and that that’s not an enticing thing to go along and be a part of. By contrast the exceptional (in all senses of the word) fan-led DHFCW socials contribute to exceptional (ditto) matchdays.

Back
Top Bottom