Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Big fan of Canada geese ... a long time ago in Poole Park, one bit my cousin on his backside because the other geese were being fed & he wasn't - my cousin is still annoyed ~40 years later that we laughed so much.
My grandad in Lancashire kept geese and one of my earliest memories is of being pecked on the finger by one of them when I must have been holding onto the chicken wire on their pen and it really hurt! Grandad died just before my 4th birthday, so that was probably in 1969.

It looks like the endless weekend engineering works affecting train services to East Dulwich have been due to the installation of a new signalling system. Hopefully it will be completed soon.

Debut August 2010, last match May 2016 at East Thurrock in the play-off final. He's currently in the first year of a 4 years contract.
That sounds more like it. On reflection 250 was ridiculous - the idea that he’d have got nearly 100 Cup appearances in that era is way off!

I just came across this lengthy Spanish language report on our club, which I hadn't seen before. I think it must be from the match when a group of Athletic Bilbao supporters visited Champion Hill last season, although I can't work out who we were playing.

I just came across this lengthy Spanish language report on our club, which I hadn't seen before. I think it must be from the match when a group of Athletic Bilbao supporters visited Champion Hill last season, although I can't work out who we were playing.

Oxford City - it was non-league day

Anyone try either of these? Nice to see a couple of new local additions to the beer line up

I didn't try today but London Black is very nice. However it looks like it's been replaced by Guinness in the clubhouse, going by a photo the club tweeted earlier. I can't really overstate my dislike of Guinness as a brand. We replaced Guinness with London Black in the main bar about a year ago and if you don't stock Guinness their sales reps will continually badger you, demanding to know why you sell an alternative instead. They will stop at almost nothing to persuade you to stock their bland mass produced product by stamping out the competition.

Anspach & Hobday beers are generally very good.. I had a lovely pint of their Session Bitter at the Shirker's Rest last night.

I didn't try today but London Black is very nice. However it looks like it's been replaced by Guinness in the clubhouse, going by a photo the club tweeted earlier. I can't really overstate my dislike of Guinness as a brand. We replaced Guinness with London Black in the main bar about a year ago and if you don't stock Guinness their sales reps will continually badger you, demanding to know why you sell an alternative instead. They will stop at almost nothing to persuade you to stock their bland mass produced product by stamping out the competition.

Anspach & Hobday beers are generally very good.. I had a lovely pint of their Session Bitter at the Shirker's Rest last night.

Yes, a lot of disgruntled people in our bubble about that switch back to Guinness. Apparently, the bar sells four times more of that compared to London Black. I really don't care though - we should support the local business.

The Pale was decent and at 3.4% could have quite a few post-match and still be fresh for an early departure to Brighton this morning (so early that I was at London Bridge when Saltldean tweeted that the match was off).

Yes, a lot of disgruntled people in our bubble about that switch back to Guinness. Apparently, the bar sells four times more of that compared to London Black. I really don't care though - we should support the local business.
Guinness is practically religious cult for some people. Once they've have been brainwashed they won't accept anything else. I used to be a barman in a pub that served Beamish instead, because the manager preferred it, and being a contrarian like myself he refused to give in and switch to Guinness. People would ask for Guinness, then grumble when told there wasn't any and order a lager or a bitter instead, or sometimes just walk away to find another pub.

You get all this nonsense about "the best pint of Guinness in London" when it's the most bland beer produced in a massive factory, where they'll have a laboratory and chemists to make sure every batch tastes exactly the same, and it's all sealed in pressurised kegs. It's a marketing triumph of style over substance, with lavish marketing campaigns and the business of pouring it slowly to give the thick creamy head that rises just above the rim of the glass.

I can well believe the club will sell a lot more Guinness than London Black, and probably have a bigger profit margin per keg, but it's disappointing nonetheless because London Black is a far superior beer in my view.

Guinness is practically religious cult for some people. Once they've have been brainwashed they won't accept anything else.
When I went 2 weeks ago during January, I stood by the bar to watch the second half of the Maidstone match, and noticed there were groups of middle class men looking very pleased with themselves that they were able to buy and pour themselves large cans of 0% Guinness.

Was Saturday a sell out again? I notice that England were also playing rugby that day, perhaps that might affect attendances?

Re the comment about supporting local businesses, sadly two local breweries are no longer local.

Also to answer the question above, Football Web Pages shows a gate of 2,875 on Saturday.

Last edited:
That is very sad. Brick had always been a fairly average beer imv. But feel very sorry for all the staff. Will the taphouse survive I wonder.

Guinness is practically religious cult for some people. Once they've have been brainwashed they won't accept anything else. I used to be a barman in a pub that served Beamish instead, because the manager preferred it, and being a contrarian like myself he refused to give in and switch to Guinness. People would ask for Guinness, then grumble when told there wasn't any and order a lager or a bitter instead, or sometimes just walk away to find another pub.

You get all this nonsense about "the best pint of Guinness in London" when it's the most bland beer produced in a massive factory, where they'll have a laboratory and chemists to make sure every batch tastes exactly the same, and it's all sealed in pressurised kegs. It's a marketing triumph of style over substance, with lavish marketing campaigns and the business of pouring it slowly to give the thick creamy head that rises just above the rim of the glass.

I can well believe the club will sell a lot more Guinness than London Black, and probably have a bigger profit margin per keg, but it's disappointing nonetheless because London Black is a far superior beer in my view.

I agree about the religious cult bit. Was at a game with a mate and his family down from Scotland a few years ago. His dad is exclusively a Guinness drinker, and left at half time because the outside bar didn't have it. Also, if you ever go to Dublin, the locals never stop asking if you've been to The Guinness Storehouse...

I agree about the religious cult bit. Was at a game with a mate and his family down from Scotland a few years ago. His dad is exclusively a Guinness drinker, and left at half time because the outside bar didn't have it. Also, if you ever go to Dublin, the locals never stop asking if you've been to The Guinness Storehouse...
It's also just a trend. People seem to have got bored of hoppy IPAs, so now a preference for a mass-produced stout is the most popular way of signaling that you're a non-conformist in a way that's acceptable to all your friends.

Tracey Crouch, known to many at the club after her investigation into how football is run, has announced she's quitting parliament at the next election.

Tracey Crouch, known to many at the club after her investigation into how football is run, has announced she's quitting parliament at the next election.
On a related note - there's been little follow-up on the recommendation of an alcohol trial at National League and League 2 level, with the last burst of publicity around it being January 2023.

I can imagine a number of reasons why that might be, but does anyone have any inside knowledge on 1) what's happening and 2) whether a Labour government would be inclined to implement it?

From a Hamlet point of view, hard to imagine the club becoming sustainable in the National League without it.

Wasn't there serious problems with a birthday party there some years ago?
There was a fatal attack on someone who had just left a private function on a Friday night around 2010. A home game with Ramsgate the next day was postponed because the police were still searching St Francis Park and the area outside the ground for the murder weapon. The management of the facilities was very different in those days. I get the impression it was "no questions asked" if dodgy customers were willing to pay a few quid extra to turn a blind eye to various activities that might have interested the authorities.

The authorities took steps to withdraw the licence in the aftermath. The owners lost control of the entity to the administrator pretty much simultaneously.

Everyone's favourite property developer took over. They cancelled all bookings and hired a professional to run the venue. He spent half a day walking round local houses giving out his mobile phone number so residents could contact him if they had concerns. The club were then pretty unpopular with neighbours due to regular noise issues. The new licencee had a good track record so the licencing authority / police trusted him and withdrew the licence revocation. I'm not aware of any issues since then.

The person who took the bar on and saved the licence is often overlooked and hugely important in the clubs recent(ish) history. It allowed the retention of a revenue stream and helped move the local residents from being in a position they would have cheered if we were evicted to a position they typically fought tooth and nail for the club when it was evicted.

I grew up near Kingstonian and there were regular '18th birthday parties' at the Kingsmeadow club house, I look back on them fondly as a 16 year old getting served at the bar at a party for someone I often didn't know in a different school, but word of mouth got around and hundreds of teenagers would descend on the place. Sometime undesirable older kids would turn up and things turn ugly, though luckily not as bad as the above. A lot has changed in 20 or so years of course, you would have to be foolish to sanction that sort of event under your license, it's the kids who just want some admirable underage drinking and a vomit on the way home I feel sorry for 😉

The authorities took steps to withdraw the licence in the aftermath. The owners lost control of the entity to the administrator pretty much simultaneously.

Everyone's favourite property developer took over. They cancelled all bookings and hired a professional to run the venue. He spent half a day walking round local houses giving out his mobile phone number so residents could contact him if they had concerns. The club were then pretty unpopular with neighbours due to regular noise issues. The new licencee had a good track record so the licencing authority / police trusted him and withdrew the licence revocation. I'm not aware of any issues since then.

The person who took the bar on and saved the licence is often overlooked and hugely important in the clubs recent(ish) history. It allowed the retention of a revenue stream and helped move the local residents from being in a position they would have cheered if we were evicted to a position they typically fought tooth and nail for the club when it was evicted.

Stephen? He was indeed great. Brought cask ale back into the bar as well, and made it popular.

Back
Top Bottom