Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Deceased Hamlet supporter Dave Fry has popped up in The Guardian. Whilst they clearly werent told, Dave was also a republican.

The sadness is he definitely had a will at one point, I saw it and was named as an Executor. Presumably he threw it away planning on re-wriiting only to unexpectedly die. He certainly wouldn't be happy about how his money has been spent.

Deceased Hamlet supporter Dave Fry has popped up in The Guardian. Whilst they clearly werent told, Dave was also a republican.

The sadness is he definitely had a will at one point, I saw it and was named as an Executor. Presumably he threw it away planning on re-wriiting only to unexpectedly die. He certainly wouldn't be happy about how his money has been spent.

What a disgrace, fucking parasites!

When I was notified his estate would pass to the Crown, I did research what they used it for. At the time it was stated the revenues went towards protecting and maintaining historical properties, lands etc within the area the cash came from.

Which is one way of describing buying log burners for properties you own and then renting them out for profit. If not a totally honest one.

Hopefully the issue will become a hot potato and force change. Dave would certainly have enjoyed his case helping to force permanent reform of an indefensible system.

Hopefully the issue will become a hot potato and force change. Dave would certainly have enjoyed his case helping to force permanent reform of an indefensible system.
Another article on the same scandal:

This country needs a revolution as well as a change in government. The Royals and the Tories are partners in crime, leeching vast wealth from millions of ordinary people.

Ok, notes from last night below. I've tried to avoid editorializing too much. Hopefully everyone feels this one was an accurate representation of what was said (Ben Clasper please do clarify anything where you think your intended point was different to what I've written).

As a general note, really enjoyed the evening, and I'm very grateful (as always) for the manner in which Ben and Hak approached it - even if Ben is wrong about the right covering not having much impact on the atmosphere ;-)

Q1 - Will the club run coaches to difficult away matches?

A: Trust's job, coaches generally not popular and travel not usually an issue, Trust will consider if there is a special need

Q2 – Cover behind the goals at the current and new stadium. Last time club would say they’d look into it, what’s the update?

New ground: Is something that’s still being considered. MOL restrictions present challenges, but not insurmountable. Want to make happen in a way that aligns with our obligations.

Current ground: Ben would like help from the Trust to deliver this in a way that isn't scaffolding. He doesn't actually think it will affect the acoustics that much [Ed: politely but strongly disagree]

Hakan says nice things about the atmosphere and support fans are currently giving

Q3 – Can we do more to promote women’s games?

Ben: Yes, agrees can't just follow template from men's games. We've hit a bit of a plateau with attendances. One of the aims of the soon-to-be-appointed new women’s director is to improve that [more about that below].

Q4 - New ground. What's happening?

- Have permission but not developer

- Have lost previously contracted developers, which has caused a delay

- Difficulty finding developer who will build flats AND stadium

- Instead looking at finding two developers

- Trying to find people to be employed by the club who can work full time on stadium delivery (clock is ticking on planning permission)

Q5 - Do we have a chance of getting to the playoffs?

Hak: Yes we have, if we continue playing the way we're playing. Has taken more time to gel than he expected, but now we're getting there. People have been learning to do the job while they're doing the job. Christmas period will be crucial.

Q6 – [General point about everyone doing their bit to get more people to support the women’s team]

Ben agrees.

Q7 - What can the fans do that would help Ben?

Q8 - What can the club / fans / trust do to share our lessons from non-league success?

Hak: Supporters are doing a fantastic job, other clubs have been invited to come along and see what we're doing. Supporters can't do much more.

Ben: I don't think the rest of football wants what happens here to spread. The opposition and attitude to us has been the most negative aspect of my experience at DHFC. We're knocking on some very closed doors when it comes to the authorities, but that's not to say we can't do it from the bottom up. We can make an effort to push other clubs to support their women's teams more.

There have been some successes, other clubs have changed their matchdays and how they engage with their fans.

Q9 - Future plan for the women's team, follow-up from last time

Monthly meetings with women's team leaders. Team provided proposal on what could be improved. Looking for someone to appoint as a director to focus solely on women's game (off the pitch). It's underway, and monthly updates are continually being held.

Q10 - Does Hak think the men's squad understands the fans? Compare to women's team and their relationship with the fans. What can we learn from the women's side?

Hak: Bees game after the final whistle was amazing. Do all the men’s team understand who they're playing for? Maybe not. The majority do. There has been a frustration in some of the players where they feel they haven't given the supporters enough. For them to understand the supporters is vitally important.

Q11 – [Question about the men’s squad, but at this point I went for a wee]

When I came back, Hak was waving around a piece of paper with a list of players he’s targeting to potentially sign in the future (including January).

Goalkeeper coach was sorted late, which has led to a cascade of goalkeepers. Should have 2 goalkeepers left by the New Year.

Q12 - Improving communication on who the squad actually is

Hak: Always tries to work with a 22-23 man squad. Has a few signings that he thinks has potential and doesn't want them to go somewhere else, that's why the squad is as big as it is (plus goalkeepers). Always tried to bring 3-4 lads in who aren't the finished article, bleed them in.

Now Kian's come in, most squad news will be communicated through regular updates with hum. All communication will be going through Kian.

Q13 - Plan's for infrastructure below the men's first team

Ben: Access to pitches historically an obstacle for men's reserves. Now starting to look at youth and academy. Starting to talk to existing teams about affiliating. 2-3 individuals have said they'd like to work to start an academy (dialogue with the women's team about whether or not this would be for both sexes). Big decision about whether to start with a blank page or not.

Hak: We;re in so many cup competitions to give everyone as many minutes as possible. Clubs above us haven't got the facilities that we've got, so we need to make use of that. Need to grow our own academy, have our own reserve team. Could have our own reserves and academy up and running next season ("god willing")

Q14 - DHFC haven't won a cup since mid 2000s. London Senior Cup is our last opportunity for silverware this season. Pompey Dunc: “I'd love to see us win the cup. Let's go for the London Senior Cup!”

Hak: I didn't really look at it that way, but now you've expressed your feelings towards it... there's no better feeling than getting out of our league. This is a transitional year, but... let's see on the 19th. I might change my mind about that.

Agrees winning breeds winning.

Q15 - Did some fan's reaction on social media lead us to not retain some players last year?

Hak: George Porter, did want to keep him. He did say something that happened on social media made him want to move on.

Q16 - Now Kian is in role, how does Ben see how that job will be done differently?

Ben: Wanted to be more communicative and less admin focused. Wasn't really working the way we were doing it. Giving Kian a lot of freedom with how he builds it up.

Kian also has genuine passion for the women's team, and passionate to do comms around that

Hak: he's made a big difference with the men's team

[Kian's not physically present during the Q&A, he's still in Glasgow where he’s been watching the Lionnesses]

Q17 - PA system is ineffective. Arguably not capable of fulfilling it's safety function with 3,000 people. Follow up from previous question

It's happening. £15-20k to replace it, which is the blocker.

Ben: Let's resolve that

Q18 - 3 year vision plan for the club. Is it possible to publish that in redacted form?

Ben: Yes. Ben has finished editing. There are changes at board level, so aim is to have it ready for publishing when that is settled.

Q19 - Matchday waste and single use packaging. Working group on that hasn't produced anything publicly. What's the latest?

Paul (at the Trust) leading sustainability subgroup, about to start speaking to other local clubs to see what they've been doing around waste. Are looking at it, but stretched for resource. Survey results will be published very soon, but single use plastic was biggest issue from that survey.

Q20: Can we get TNT Sports (tafka BT Sport) back in the bar?

Used to get it free in the NL. Now we don't, but Ben will look into it

Q21: How are finances looking since we dropped down a league?

Ben: This year carried more risk with a lot of unknowns. Better than expected crowds meant that risk has dissipated.

Has challenges with London Living Wage at the moment. The model LLW uses to calculate figures doesn't actually fit this business. That's going to be a challenge.

It's going to be tighter than we hoped, but there's no hidden concerns.

Q22 - Fenix Cup. Can we approach them?

Ben: Yeah, I assumed it was invite only. Let's look into it.

Q23 - What will the new ground be called?

Ben: Champion Hill

Final words:

Ben says stadium is near its end game, hoping to have significant updates next time.

The opposition has not gone, there will be big fights coming. How we address that fight will have serious issues for the future of this football club. Is concerned about their behaviour and what they might do. We can't take it for granted, we are back in a bit of a battle to get this over the line.

The trigger will come on things like leases to the land, which all have to be renewed.

We're going to need support, and we're going to need anybody who has experience with stadium planning / design / delivery

Last edited:
Thanks for the summary. I listened in for about half of it. Impressed by the club's openness. The stadium is a worry. The club needs all the support we can muster getting that over the line.

Current ground: Ben would like help from the Trust to deliver this in a way that isn't scaffolding. He doesn't actually think it will affect the acoustics that much [Ed: politely but strongly disagree]

Hakan says nice things about the atmosphere and support fans are currently giving

Didn't turn up till after this. Not sure why Trust needs to be involved? There has been promises about this for years now - or at least that it'll be delivered post planning approval. Scaffolding is now apparently an expensive option, but can't be more than an actual more permanent structure surely? I'd take anything frankly than no action now! It will massively help with the atmosphere as seen at countless other grounds.

First class write up Alex W, thank you.

The question you missed was whether there were any specific areas of the squad Hakan felt still needed strengthening.

The piece of paper waved about was a list of 40 or so players he would bring in if given the opportunity, either this season or next. Added he’s always looking to improve the squad, and thanked the Board for letting him bring in Shonibare.

On the goalkeeper situation no names were mentioned, but he basically said Ruddy wasn’t for him, Lakin is on trial elsewhere, and he’s expecting to go into the new year with Constable and Edwards.

Ok, notes from last night below. I've tried to avoid editorializing too much. Hopefully everyone feels this one was an accurate representation of what was said (Ben Clasper please do clarify anything where you think your intended point was different to what I've written).

As a general note, really enjoyed the evening, and I'm very grateful (as always) for the manner in which Ben and Hak approached it - even if Ben is wrong about the right covering not having much impact on the atmosphere ;-)

A: Trust's job, coaches generally not popular and travel not usually an issue, Trust will consider if there is a special need

Q2 – Cover behind the goals at the current and new stadium. Last time club would say they’d look into it, what’s the update?

New ground: Is something that’s still being considered. MOL restrictions present challenges, but not insurmountable. Want to make happen in a way that aligns with our obligations.

Ben: Yes, agrees can't just follow template from men's games. We've hit a bit of a plateau with attendances. One of the aims of the new women’s hire is to improve that [more about that below].

- Trying to find people to be employed by the club who can work full time on stadium delivery (clock is ticking on planning permission)

Hak: Yes we have, if we continue playing the way we're playing. Has taken more time to gel than he expected, but now we're getting there. People have been learning to do the job while they're doing the job. Christmas period will be crucial.

Q6 – [General point about everyone doing their bit to get more people to support the women’s team]

Ben agrees.

Q8 - What can the club / fans / trust do to share our lessons from non-league success?

Hak: Supporters are doing a fantastic job, other clubs have been invited to come along and see what we're doing. Supporters can't do much more.

Ben: I don't think the rest of football wants what happens here to spread. The opposition and attitude to us has been the most negative aspect of my experience at DHFC. We're knocking on some very closed doors when it comes to the authorities, but that's not to say we can't do it from the bottom up. We can make an effort to push other clubs to support their women's teams more.

There have been some successes, other clubs have changed their matchdays and how they engage with their fans.

Monthly meetings with women's team leaders. Team provided proposal on what could be improved. Looking for someone to hire to focus solely on women's game (off the pitch). It's underway, and monthly updates are continually being held.

Q10 - Does Hak think the men's squad understands the fans? Compare to women's team and their relationship with the fans. What can we learn from the women's side?

Hak: Bees game after the final whistle was amazing. Do all the men’s team understand who they're playing for? Maybe not. The majority do. There has been a frustration in some of the players where they feel they haven't given the supporters enough. For them to understand the supporters is vitally important.

When I came back, Hak was waving around a piece of paper with a list of players he’s targeting to potentially sign in the future (including January).

Goalkeeper coach was sorted late, which has led to a cascade of goalkeepers. Should have 2 goalkeepers left by the New Year.

Hak: Always tries to work with a 22-23 man squad. Has a few signings that he thinks has potential and doesn't want them to go somewhere else, that's why the squad is as big as it is (plus goalkeepers). Always tried to bring 3-4 lads in who aren't the finished article, bleed them in.

Now Kian's come in, most squad news will be communicated through regular updates with hum. All communication will be going through Kian.

Ben: Access to pitches historically an obstacle for men's reserves. Now starting to look at youth and academy. Starting to talk to existing teams about affiliating. 2-3 individuals have said they'd like to work to start an academy (dialogue with the women's team about whether or not this would be for both sexes). Big decision about whether to start with a blank page or not.

Hak: We;re in so many cup competitions to give everyone as many minutes as possible. Clubs above us haven't got the facilities that we've got, so we need to make use of that. Need to grow our own academy, have our own reserve team. Could have our own reserves and academy up and running next season ("god willing")

Q14 - DHFC haven't won a cup since mid 2000s. London Senior Cup is our last opportunity for silverware this season. Pompey Dunc: “I'd love to see us win the cup. Let's go for the London Senior Cup!”

Hak: I didn't really look at it that way, but now you've expressed your feelings towards it... there's no better feeling than getting out of our league. This is a transitional year, but... let's see on the 19th. I might change my mind about that.

Q15 - Did some fan's reaction on social media lead us to not retain some players last year?

Hak: George Porter, did want to keep him. He did say something that happened on social media made him want to move on.

Q16 - Now Kian is in role, how does Ben see how that job will be done differently?

Ben: Wanted to be more communicative and less admin focused. Wasn't really working the way we were doing it. Giving Kian a lot of freedom with how he builds it up.

Kian also has genuine passion for the women's team, and passionate to do comms around that

[Kian's not physically present during the Q&A, he's still in Glasgow where he’s been watching the Lionnesses]

Q17 - PA system is ineffective. Arguably not capable of fulfilling it's safety function with 3,000 people. Follow up from previous question

Q18 - 3 year vision plan for the club. Is it possible to publish that in redacted form?

Ben: Yes. Ben has finished editing. There are changes at board level, so aim is to have it ready for publishing when that is settled.

Q19 - Matchday waste and single use packaging. Working group on that hasn't produced anything publicly. What's the latest?

Paul (at the Trust) leading sustainability subgroup, about to start speaking to other local clubs to see what they've been doing around waste. Are looking at it, but stretched for resource. Survey results will be published very soon, but single use plastic was biggest issue from that survey.

Ben: This year carried more risk with a lot of unknowns. Better than expected crowds meant that risk has dissipated.

Has challenges with London Living Wage at the moment. The model LLW uses to calculate figures doesn't actually fit this business. That's going to be a challenge.

Final words:

Ben says stadium is near its end game, hoping to have significant updates next time.

The opposition has not gone, there will be big fights coming. How we address that fight will have serious issues for the future of this football club. Is concerned about their behaviour and what they might do. We can't take it for granted, we are back in a bit of a battle to get this over the line.

The trigger will come on things like leases to the land, which all have to be renewed.

We're going to need support, and we're going to need anybody who has experience with stadium planning / design / delivery
You’ve saved me a job to do today.

And yes I did fall down the stairs at Hampden Park like Joe stated when I thought Lucy Bronze had sent England to the Nations League finals.

Ben: Yes, agrees can't just follow template from men's games. We've hit a bit of a plateau with attendances. One of the aims of the new women’s hire is to improve that [more about that below].

Ben agrees.

Monthly meetings with women's team leaders. Team provided proposal on what could be improved. Looking for someone to hire to focus solely on women's game (off the pitch). It's underway, and monthly updates are continually being held.

Final words:

Separately on this,

If anyone has anything they want me to ask Ryan, I’ll do a separate video update with him this week/next to go on our YouTube channels. :)

You’ve saved me a job to do today.

And yes I did fall down the stairs at Hampden Park like Joe stated when I thought Lucy Bronze had sent England to the Nations League finals.
I enjoyed that someone mentioned this about 2 minutes after Ben said "Kian has a genuine passion for the women's game". I think that story illustrates the point rather nicely!

Fortunately for him he seems to be permanently lurking in his bedroom ranting online now so it's unlikely anyone will get the chance to smack him, however much he might deserve it.

Back
Top Bottom