Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

I believe that EDC just followed some people on the freeloaders list in through the gate next to the turnstiles at the park end (probably not called the park end) last time out.

I think I'm right in saying that end is only for pre-bought ticket holders now. So maybe worth doing that to avoid a longer walk from the station.

I'd like to boycott it because of their pricing but, being a man of weak principles, I can't resist an away 'day' where I only need one train to get there that goes from a 5 minute walk from my flat.
I think the people on the gates were a bit overwhelmed that day, Havant the season before was a better jib.

1635513780703.png
lines 10 minutes after kick off - still coming in - more to do with record crowd than anything else
I thought turnstile crew did a great job

Last edited:
Number of bags maybe? My mate and I had no bags, and were fortunate enough to arrive just as the gate was opened for etickets and seasons with no bags. Or cash on gate?

249486991_10159212073288190_1735443390989420735_n.jpg

Do hope in new stadium we have space for Club history

Hopefully however over the summer I wrote to the club offering them a match card from the 1899 Surrey Junior Cup Final, the oldest known Hamlet proggie I am aware of, on loan with the expectation it would become a donation further down the line. I didn't get a reply.

Hopefully however over the summer I wrote to the club offering them a match card from the 1899 Surrey Junior Cup Final, the oldest known Hamlet proggie I am aware of, on loan with the expectation it would become a donation further down the line. I didn't get a reply.
Whilst disappointing to hear you haven't received the courtesy of a response, please keep hold of these type of artefacts. As I mentioned above, there is space in the new stadium to display exactly this sort of thing.

Was having this conversation on Tuesday night with JL and Liam, it’s been something I’ve wanted for years! If I had more time I’d have been on it by now.
I'm assuming JL has everything recorded meticulously going back to the very early years of the club? Would be great to try and work with him / extract it from him for a wider audience at some point.

The very early years of the club are tricky. The two local papers sometimes disagree on scores, no line ups are given and sometimes only some of the scorers are listed. The very early days the club doesn't appear in the press.

I believe John has good stats from his time at the club but not from before his time.

Al - The 1899 match card remains in possession. I have a few other bits that may be of interest too.

Whilst disappointing to hear you haven't received the courtesy of a response, please keep hold of these type of artefacts. As I mentioned above, there is space in the new stadium to display exactly this sort of thing.

Hopefully some of my photos can be on display

Interesting reading - football at all levels has a part to play.
How does the proposed new stadium stack up in terms of environmental impact? What can be done at the club in the meantime - I'm happy with vegan catering given the carbon footprint of meat and dairy :)

Interesting reading - football at all levels has a part to play.
How does the proposed new stadium stack up in terms of environmental impact? What can be done at the club in the meantime - I'm happy with vegan catering given the carbon footprint of meat and dairy :)
If we're setting ourselves up to be different and leading the way, Hamlet really should be all-vegan/veggie catering given the horrendous impact of the meat and dairy industry. We wouldn't even be the first - Forest Green Rovers: the (almost) 100% vegan football club

Besides all that cindering flash and dead animal smoke bellowing across the ground makes me want to chunder!

We may not even be the first in Southwark if it did happen. I went to Fisher a couple of weeks ago, to drop off the infamous booklets. The only catering I spotted was a vegan burger van. Not sure whether that is standard match day provision but FYI.

The beer all came from a Bermondsey brewery, they seem to be making an effort re food miles, carbon etc.

The burger was pretty good, the chips were excellent. I am meat eater but would be quite happy to eat that quality of food if Hamlet ever chose to go down that road, on my occasional visits

If we're setting ourselves up to be different and leading the way, Hamlet really should be all-vegan/veggie catering given the horrendous impact of the meat and dairy industry. We wouldn't even be the first - Forest Green Rovers: the (almost) 100% vegan football club

Besides all that cindering flash and dead animal smoke bellowing across the ground makes me want to chunder!
On a personal level I agree, and those Vegan Pies are magnificent. Wonder if it would be a popular move?

The bigger issue for me on a green level is the plastic pint glasses. Not sure what solution is though as you can't, for good reason, have glass outside. Paper ones? Refillable keep cups?

We may not even be the first in Southwark if it did happen. I went to Fisher a couple of weeks ago, to drop off the infamous booklets. The only catering I spotted was a vegan burger van. Not sure whether that is standard match day provision but FYI.

The beer all came from a Bermondsey brewery, they seem to be making an effort re food miles, carbon etc.

The burger was pretty good, the chips were excellent. I am meat eater but would be quite happy to eat that quality of food if Hamlet ever chose to go down that road, on my occasional visits

When it comes to burgers, some of the good vegan stuff is pretty much indistinguishable from regular meat ones.

Vegan food at Champion Hill would make me happy. I'm dairy averse so vegan is usually my go to option eating at events, lest i accidentally consume cheese and then disgrace myself.

The Fisher vegan van (and Anspach beer) was all there on Saturday.

Until two weeks ago I hadn't been to Fisher since Hamlet last played Athletic at Surrey Docks. I enjoyed my visit. Supporting local businesses seems pragmatic to me, rather than them trying to muscle in on any particular market.

They used to get 70 odd at Hamlet. They got 262, from memory, on Saturday which was the 7th best step five gate in England. People clearly like what they are offering. Good luck to them.

Their ground ensures they can never be a real rival to the Hamlet on the pitch again, unless Hamlet stuff up badly. I can't see how Fisher offering local beer and vegan food is any threat to, or any business of, Dulwich Hamlet.

That was just a joke about our supposed hipster status. Obviously Fisher aren't a 'threat.'

Although you can see how it goes from where they are to where we are can't you? Maybe not to the same degree but to where the negatives start to creep in.

Until two weeks ago I hadn't been to Fisher since Hamlet last played Athletic at Surrey Docks. I enjoyed my visit. Supporting local businesses seems pragmatic to me, rather than them trying to muscle in on any particular market.

They used to get 70 odd at Hamlet. They got 262, from memory, on Saturday which was the 7th best step five gate in England. People clearly like what they are offering. Good luck to them.

Their ground ensures they can never be a real rival to the Hamlet on the pitch again, unless Hamlet stuff up badly. I can't see how Fisher offering local beer and vegan food is any threat to, or any business of, Dulwich Hamlet.
Added warm fuzzy feeling on Saturday was when I realised the bloke just along from me was watching his son play right (edited!) wing. In fact (what I took to be) his mum and brother and sister were there too. Saw them all walking home together afterwards. I then realised from reading Twitter that evening that the “happy birthday” sung by the home end in the first half had been for him. I’d be surprised if he was legally allowed to celebrate with a beer!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom