We've found some time to record another podcast. This episode includes:

The end of our holiday in Morden and the return to CH
A brief summary of the season so far
The recent upturn in form
A Torquay preview
Transfer updates
Anything else we've forgotten

You can get the episode from wherever you get your podcasts from, or here:

As always we're very keen for feedback and suggestions on what to cover in future episodes. Please let us know!

Hope you enjoy,

FTH x

Brilliant to have you back Forward The Hamlet podcast
Don't ever make it a chore
But really enjoy - so look forward to follow up

Would welcome update on players in, community work with schools, charities, rabble songs and how we get more noise, update on clubhouse, possible terracing, fans meeting we held with Club, planning application (factual), Torquay away
always love the stats

But most of all thanks, can never get enough

Last edited:
Here's Monty Python playing A. Nother team at Champion Hill

hamlet-python-2.jpg

Monty Python All Stars at Dulwich Hamlet, 1977 – the day Graham Chapman was sent off for being drunk

Ben Henderson in the Southwark news:

“The outcome of this month’s relegation battle will have ramifications that go further than the football pitch. Hamlet’s attendance on Saturday was 3,243, a Champion Hill record. However, relegation will surely mean a smaller gate. Even attendances of 1,500, highly respectable in the Isthmian League, would be difficult to take for the club, when the corresponding reduction of revenue from the bar and merchandise sales is added to loss of ticket earnings.”

Care to put a justification to the quote “relegation will surely mean a smaller gate?”

Ben Henderson in the Southwark news:

“The outcome of this month’s relegation battle will have ramifications that go further than the football pitch. Hamlet’s attendance on Saturday was 3,243, a Champion Hill record. However, relegation will surely mean a smaller gate. Even attendances of 1,500, highly respectable in the Isthmian League, would be difficult to take for the club, when the corresponding reduction of revenue from the bar and merchandise sales is added to loss of ticket earnings.”

Care to put a justification to the quote “relegation will surely mean a smaller gate?”

Would relegation mean a smaller gate? Personally, I really don't think that it would. If football was the main driver for the boom in crowds, then frankly we'd be better off relegated. We won a lot more regularly in the Isthmian Prem and the quality of football was much better.

Either way, this is a bizarre take from Southwark News.

Would relegation mean a smaller gate? Personally, I really don't think that it would. If football was the main driver for the boom in crowds, then frankly we'd be better off relegated. We won a lot more regularly in the Isthmian Prem and the quality of football was much better.

Either way, this is a bizarre take from Southwark News.
I can only think he's maybe taken one or two comments from an informal conversation with a club official out of context, or looked at the difference between our attendance figures before and after the ten months in exile either side of our promotion, and jumped to conclusions. Our average attendance in the Isthmian before we were evicted was around 1,500 and we all thought that was amazing at the time. I don't think anyone expected that average to leap to well over 2,500 in the eight or so matches since we returned, and I don't think it would now suddenly plummet back to 1,500 again especially if we were winning most games and challenging for promotion as was the case in the last eight seasons. Even if it did we'd still be comfortably the best supported club in the Isthmian even though attendances there seem to be increasing impressively across the board, with Worthing now pulling 800-1,000 at most games.

IMO, the additional fans have been attracted by, in order of importance:

- The very fact we were evicted, and the exposure this provided...but I wouldn't recommend this to other clubs!
- Our new found ability to serve beer in enough locations and quickly enough to keep people sated, and enough toilets to deal with the result.
- The higher league

Relegation would have an impact; but I wouldn't expect to go back to 1500, except for perhaps bad weather, August and midweek games. I don't see any reason why the nouveau-nouveau-nouveau 2019 fans would decide not to come because we are playing Leatherhead instead of Concord Rangers?!

Last edited:
I didn't realise he lived there. I've only ever read he was a Celtic supporter and never mentioned any other club.

With Havant, Aldershot, Braintree and Maidstone relegated and Dorking +1 promoted it will be interesting next season in the National league south. East Thurrock who beat us in the Isthmian League playoff final may be relegated? Bognor and Margate are outside the playoff places so it's a dissapointing season for them.

Last edited:
With Havant, Aldershot, Braintree and Maidstone relegated and Dorking +1 promoted it will be interesting next season in the National league south. East Thurrock who beat us in the Isthmian League playoff final may be relegated? Bognor and Margate are outside the playoff places so it's a dissapointing season for them.

I assuming that two teams currently in South will find themselves in North next season, maybe Oxford and Gloucester? Depends on your definition of North I suppose - Braintree is actually closer to the Artic Circle than Oxford but can't see them leaving South

And in terms of promotion, looks like Weymouth will join Dorking (5 points clear, three to play) and the third spot will come from the 'super play off' position which currently includes Met Police, Taunton, Salisbury and Poole from Evo-stik and Worthing, Haringey, Carshalton and Tonbridge from Isthmian. Taunton sounds like a fair swap for Weston, assuming we stay up :)

Anyone know when the club normal announce season tickets for next year and also costs?
I need to budget accordingly as I doubt we will get another £125 bargain like this year.

Anyone know when the club normal announce season tickets for next year and also costs?
I need to budget accordingly as I doubt we will get another £125 bargain like this year.
I hear they are being sorted out this week, 21 home games in National League South, 23 in Isthmian Premier.

And in terms of promotion, looks like Weymouth will join Dorking (5 points clear, three to play) and the third spot will come from the 'super play off' position which currently includes Met Police, Taunton, Salisbury and Poole from Evo-stik and Worthing, Haringey, Carshalton and Tonbridge from Isthmian. Taunton sounds like a fair swap for Weston, assuming we stay up :)
Leatherhead, Merstham, Bishop's Stortford and Folkestone are all within 3 points of the Isthmian play-off places so the list goes well beyond those teams listed, and the recent form guide suggests one or two of those may be involved:

Bostik League Premier Division | Form Guide

In the Southern League it's more cut and dried with only King's Langley (near Watford) having a realistic chance of gatecrashing the top five. I've been to Taunton a couple of times for cricket, and whilst the cricket ground is nice with an excellent pub (The Ring O' Bells) just around the corner it's not a town I'd be rushing to revisit. Salisbury is a decent trip although the ground is a long way out of town; a few of us went there for a Capital league (Reserves) match around 12 years ago. I've never been to Poole. As for Met Police - well, I like to have one or two weekends away up north during the season so the date of that fixture always makes it easy to plan one of those!

Leatherhead, Merstham, Bishop's Stortford and Folkestone are all within 3 points of the Isthmian play-off places so the list goes well beyond those teams listed, and the recent form guide suggests one or two of those may be involved:

Bostik League Premier Division | Form Guide

In the Southern League it's more cut and dried with only King's Langley (near Watford) having a realistic chance of gatecrashing the top five. I've been to Taunton a couple of times for cricket, and whilst the cricket ground is nice with an excellent pub (The Ring O' Bells) just around the corner it's not a town I'd be rushing to revisit. Salisbury is a decent trip although the ground is a long way out of town; a few of us went there for a Capital league (Reserves) match around 12 years ago. I've never been to Poole. As for Met Police - well, I like to have one or two weekends away up north during the season so the date of that fixture always makes it easy to plan one of those!

Poole's ground - unless it has massively changed in the last couple of seasons - is very basic. Even at Step 3 it left a lot to be desired. KIngs Langley's ground is a bit better and has a "club DJ" - if we play there, he will probably be on this forum ahead of the game asking for (musical) requests. The ground is a bit of a hike from any station (although the walk along the canal to get there is an option if the weather is good). Weymouth's ground (even though they keep talking about wanting to move again) is quite modern with a main stand that has a good view of the pitch. Also it is a bit of a hike from the station but at least there's a beach to visit!

Poole's ground - unless it has massively changed in the last couple of seasons - is very basic. Even at Step 3 it left a lot to be desired. KIngs Langley's ground is a bit better and has a "club DJ" - if we play there, he will probably be on this forum ahead of the game asking for (musical) requests. The ground is a bit of a hike from any station (although the walk along the canal to get there is an option if the weather is good). Weymouth's ground (even though they keep talking about wanting to move again) is quite modern with a main stand that has a good view of the pitch. Also it is a bit of a hike from the station but at least there's a beach to visit!
The Weymouth ground is a much longer walk than Kings Langley. Weymouth by far the better ground, a fairly modern one.

Poole were in the National South until last season, when they went down. A couple of seasons ago they qualified for the play-offs along with Hungerford, but both were barred from competing due to their grounds being short of the minimum requirements for promotion.

Poole were in the National South until last season, when they went down. A couple of seasons ago they qualified for the play-offs along with Hungerford, but both were barred from competing due to their grounds being short of the minimum requirements for promotion.
I like grounds that fall short of the minimum requirements for promotion :)

In which case why harp on about why we need a much bigger ground when we move next door?:D
Because I like visiting small grounds where I can easily choose a convenient viewpoint for watching the game. That's not possible at Hamlet and that's why we need a bigger ground. SImples.

Back
Top Bottom