Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

6BF1F4F2-1C36-48BA-88CD-B44A3ACB89F6.jpeg
Standing in the bar before the game today it struck me that the Trust Board Members should all be wearing a rosette, sash and a brightly coloured top hat to make themselves known to the ordinary, everyday fans. Missed opportunity to engage.

Was once suggested that committee members adopt a club blazer with the attached on the drawing board...

I think it was the Dulwich Hamlet cricket club (formed before the football) blazers where we got our colours and stripes from
I'm not sure the football club ever had those blazers. The colours are believed to have originated from Dulwich College (blue) and Westminster School (pink) as two prominent players (brothers) from DHFC's early years attended those schools. Presumably they also played for DHCC, as did many players right up to the 1950's?

The origins of why DHFC switched from white to pink and blue olours is another that has vanished into the mists of time. The most common version is that it came from the two brothers schools.

The brothers are almost certainly the Lloyd brothers "who taught us how to play". If anyone has access to the two school's enrollment lists in around 1890 - 95 it would be interesting to know whether they did attend those schools.

As the Lloyd's weren't founder members of DHFC a switch of colours in their honour could explain the move to pink and blue.

DyRtSBJXQAUO0Ry.jpg:large

Never to young too come to Champion Hill
Football For All

I brought my kid from not a lot older than that. There's a photo of him very bemused on my shoulders during the post league win at about 15 months old, when we came up from the South. :)

Scarf looks great but I'm probably not going to get to the game Saturday as my father in law is in hospital having stem cell transplant (sorry to go all x-factor on you) ;) so If anyone can get me one I'll pay and put a extra donation in too!
I pass the ground each night on way home so could meet up easy and am a season ticket holder. cheers

While I appreciate it’s for a good cause, I’m not a fan of the red on pink combination for this special kit for Saturday’s game - it looks a bit like the colour has run in the wash. Perhaps a red sash on blue shirt would have been better?

While I appreciate it’s for a good cause, I’m not a fan of the red on pink combination for this special kit for Saturday’s game - it looks a bit like the colour has run in the wash. Perhaps a red sash on blue shirt would have been better?

Given that this is a charity kit that will never be worn again after Saturday, I hope you can put aside your sartorial preferences for one game

Do you think originally they wore green tank tops over white t-shirts? And then as printing technology advanced the two became one?
I hope so.
I know the idea for Arsenals white sleeved shirts came when legendary manager Herbert Chapman walked into the club secretary's office and saw him wearing a red waistcoat over his white shirt. If he'd been wearing a pink shirt that day Arsenal might now play in something resembling our Red Thread kit.

Green is a good choice of away kit for anyone whose colours are blue or red as almost no one plays in green & blue or green & red. More league clubs should use green away kits. There was a ridiculous colour clash in last night's Millwall v Sheffield Wednesday match, with both sides basically wearing blue.

There was a ridiculous colour clash in last night's Millwall v Sheffield Wednesday match, with both sides basically wearing blue.
There was a similar problem at Xmas when I was playing FIFA on the Nintendo Switch against Juventus and Millwall were in their stripped 2017 kit. Made it difficult to see who was who. Probably explained how I managed to beat Juventus 1-0 :D

I know the idea for Arsenals white sleeved shirts came when legendary manager Herbert Chapman walked into the club secretary's office and saw him wearing a red waistcoat over his white shirt. If he'd been wearing a pink shirt that day Arsenal might now play in something resembling our Red Thread kit.

Green is a good choice of away kit for anyone whose colours are blue or red as almost no one plays in green & blue or green & red. More league clubs should use green away kits. There was a ridiculous colour clash in last night's Millwall v Sheffield Wednesday match, with both sides basically wearing blue.

I went to watch Millwall v Wednesday on Tuesday night. Was surprised we (Wednesday) didn't change kits - but in the end I don't think it was a problem. Teams change kits at the drop of a hat nowadays, usually to help sell more replica shirts.

I went to watch Millwall v Wednesday on Tuesday night. Was surprised we (Wednesday) didn't change kits - but in the end I don't think it was a problem. Teams change kits at the drop of a hat nowadays, usually to help sell more replica shirts.

According to Wednesday manager Steve Bruce that was down to the referee who refused to allow them to play in their yellow change kit for reasons known only to him.
Millwall vs Sheffield Wednesday kit-clash decision 'bamboozles' Steve Bruce

Back
Top Bottom