Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Dunno. But 'Green Trumpton' is something to do with one of our exiled fans, Kevin Holland, who lives up in Norfolk...

Can anyone do a better job than Google of translating the comment on the Albania page that mentions us?

Erion Kraja
Ej ky hysi qe lun per dulwich hamlet paska pagu lek per te hy ne komtare sepse kjo skyader nuk eshte as ne konferencen angleze dmth semi proffesional! Prandaj njk ec para futbolli shqiptar

Erion Kraja
Hey this hysi that LUN for dulwich hamlet somewhat Pagu money to entering the komtare because it skyader is neither English ie conference semi proffesional! Therefore CU go before the Albanian football

Reactions: EDC
Thanks for the link to the 33rd programme. I've read the book, 32 programmes which was a great read and recommended. I'm sure we can all sympathise with the author!

Yes, that is a great book, I think! It shows the great passion, that only collectors and footballfans have...

:p

Literature for the long, cold evenings. Dulwich Hamlet took part in that tournament, as well. Had anybody from this board been there?
Yes, I was there. We ran a coach. From my vageue-ish memory there were quite a few small fights throughout the night between various fans, under the concourses, though no Dulwich Hamlet involvement, as our fans back then were, to be honest, mouthy but cowards! ;-)
It ran for one more year, the second one with a substantially smaller attendance. And that was it...a two year 'flash in the pan'. We didn't do much in in it...but how many Hamlet fans can say that they saw Ossie Bayram play at Wembley? ;)

Francis speculating?

To be honest...you would expect Gavin to be in the frame!

But, personally, I don't think Welling will offer him the ambition that he has. I do not think Welling will ever progress beyond where they are, a struggling to mid-table Conference National club when they are at their peak. But in reality Conference South is their natural level.

He still has a job to complete at Champion Hill, we are very much a 'work in progress', and there are exciting plans to base his Academy here, when the new ground plans come to fruition.

If they were one of the main Conference players, as in one that has strong Football League potential he might be tempted...

But having said all that...one day the time will come when we have to wake up to a post-Gavin Hamlet...

The attendances at their last few home games are well below Dulwich's. When you look at the teams in the conference I think Mishi is right to say they're not going much further (even with a manager as good as Gavin). He's made it pretty clear he wants to manage at league level (which is fair enough) but I don't think they'd be the right stepping stone - if he took over there and got relegated he might well never get the chance.

ETA: The fact that their last manager has left them to go to a team in a lower division suggests the same.

Jamie Day, their previous manager is one of the excellent group of young managers that are coming through the non-league game, Gavin included, who have great potential. they tend to 'bring their own through', and will eventually be given the chance.
Jamie is white and will be given a 'clearer run', but he has gone to Ebbsfleet not just for the money, but for the potential that money brings. They are set up and capable of challenging for a Football League place. I don't think Welling ever will.

It's worth considering though, if you quote attendances, that our may drop, if we were to progress. Success on the pitch may not be 'guaranteed' as much as it can be at our current level. And admission costs are higher. In Conference National most charge £15 to £20 to get in, or more, that's before your programme, burger, beer & so on....

These are Welling's prices, from their website, which may explain their lower looking crowds:

Admission 2014/15 – Pay on the gate
Prices for Vanarama Conference League games
Adults - £15.00
Concessions (Over 60’s) £9.00
12-17 Year Olds inclusive £5
Students On production of student card – £10.00
Under 12’s (when accompanied by an Adult) – FREE

Seating:
£1.00 extra

More travelling. Higher wages for players. More stewards. Higher costs of match officials. League registration fees will be more....In short a LOT more costs.

If we were to go up we would almost certainly put our prices up. The higher the division the higher the cost of admission. That's how football generally works in this country.

I forget the exact figure but to give you an idea of the sort of figures at higher levels of the non league pyramid, one conference premier chairman suggested it would probably cost them a million pounds to run the club for a season.

I forget the exact figure but to give you an idea of the sort of figures at higher levels of the non league pyramid, one conference premier chairman suggested it would probably cost them a million pounds to run the club for a season.

I've got a few shares in Lincoln City so they send me their accounts and turnover isn't a long way from that iirc. They're still professional though so I'd think the semi-pro teams spend a bit less.

Jamie Day, their previous manager is one of the excellent group of young managers that are coming through the non-league game, Gavin included, who have great potential. they tend to 'bring their own through', and will eventually be given the chance.
Jamie is white and will be given a 'clearer run', but he has gone to Ebbsfleet not just for the money, but for the potential that money brings. They are set up and capable of challenging for a Football League place. I don't think Welling ever will.

It's worth considering though, if you quote attendances, that our may drop, if we were to progress. Success on the pitch may not be 'guaranteed' as much as it can be at our current level. And admission costs are higher. In Conference National most charge £15 to £20 to get in, or more, that's before your programme, burger, beer & so on....

These are Welling's prices, from their website, which may explain their lower looking crowds:

Admission 2014/15 – Pay on the gate
Prices for Vanarama Conference League games
Adults - £15.00
Concessions (Over 60’s) £9.00
12-17 Year Olds inclusive £5
Students On production of student card – £10.00
Under 12’s (when accompanied by an Adult) – FREE

Seating:
£1.00 extra
One of the main attractions for a lot of people who watch the Hamlet is that it's NOT like League football, whereas the Conference (National) desperately pretends to be as similar to the Football League as it possibly can. To my eyes it resembles a depressing twighlight zone, with a diverse rang of clubs encompassing fallen ex-League 'giants' like Grimsby or Bristol Rovers, clubs that have had a taste of the Football League but aren't really geared up to do more than survive a few seasons of relegation at that level, such as Macclesfield or Kidderminster, and small clubs like Welling, Altrincham or Braintree who are possibly only one bad season away from disappearing back to the regional divisions for a fair while. There are other reltively small clubs with rich benefactors proclaiming grand plans, like Eastleigh or (if they get there in the near future before Mr Moneybags loses interest) Margate; then there are teams like Woking, who seem to have found their level there without having so far emulated Macc or Kiddy.

I believe Welling approached Gavin a few years ago before they gave the role to Jamie Day and he turned them down. For the reasons Mishi has given I was more concerned about Ebbsfleet poaching Gavin, as they seem to have genuine Football League potential due to wealthy backers and they've pulled fairly big crowds during previous times of success. I recall going to a top of the table Isthmian League clash there against Canvey Island around twleve years ago (when Francis Duku was playing for the club then known as Gravesend & Northfleet) and the attendance was over 4,000. There was no Conference North & South at that time and they were promoted directly into Conference National as Isthmian champions that year.

I've got a few shares in Lincoln City so they send me their accounts and turnover isn't a long way from that iirc. They're still professional though so I'd think the semi-pro teams spend a bit less.
As a Grimsby fan (also), we run at about a £500,000 a season loss in the Conference Premier. Tickets are £16 / £18 depending on the stand. The hardest part about dropping into the conference has been the lack of funding from the league, and lack of gate receipts from away fans. Our survival depends on how deep the Chairmans pockets are (pretty deep, but not infinite). He has grand plans to relocate to a new stadium too.
I'm pretty sure Dulwich could manage fine in the Conference South, I'd like to see that. I get the point about it being different a football experience though, and the Conference Premier is a very different place to be a fan. Full of miserable ex league clubs :)

Last edited:
Full of miserable ex league clubs :)

God yes - Lincoln fans have never been the cheeriest bunch but everyone is so pissed off all the time now, and I don't imagine Grimsby or any of the others are much better.

It's a bit 'worst of both worlds' tbh. Pink Panther has it about right with his description up there. High prices, all seaters, no booze, without better football to show for it on the whole.

I naturally want Hamlet to win, win and win again but I never want us to get into the Conference. The miserable, fun-stripping, steward-patrolling, rule-laden experience of Kingstonian once a season is enough.

Interesting to see Margate losing 1-2 at home to Peacehaven on Saturday. Surprisingly modest crowd of 475 too.

Got to say, the bar seems to be getting worse, took ages to be served, the tills running out of change..

Yeah, it's still pretty bad isn't it, even though the crowd was a bit lower than the last couple of Saturday games. We queued for the whole of half time and still missed a chunk of the second half.

I didn't even realise they'd done that to be honest. Obviously that's not going to help.
I started to queue in the usual place outside and then noticed that it has gone walkabout again. Took me ages to locate it in the bar, seeing as it was in the far end, concealed behind the queues of people waiting to get a drink.

Back
Top Bottom