Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

That changes everything. Didn't realise that applies at conference level.

There's a whole host of changes at that level which could have the potential to make the Hamlet experience less enjoyable but at the end of the day it's what you make of it that counts! As a born and bred Dovorian coming to watch Dulwich is a breath of fresh air, free from over the top stewarding, pitch side drinks and a great atmosphere win or lose.

Edit: Oh and the quality of football from dulwich over the past few years has been equal to or above that which I've seen in the conference this season and certainly conf South which has offered up some real dross at times!

Last edited:
It does...depending on their local licencing regulations, from their respective councils, of course.

I think (and don't quote me on this) that the ground grading can also have an effect on what is and isn't allowed to happen in the ground.

Alcohol in view of the pitch is one of regs that stinks and resulted in the new clubhouse at Dover having narrow windows 8ft high up facing the pitch rather than a similar situation to that which we have at Dulwich now.

The ground also doesn't get used for local cup finals anymore because to do so would mean it needs to have stewards present which obviously costs money (it would certainly cost Dover a lot with the number of stewards/nightclub bouncers they employ.

All this sort of stuff is i'm sure being looked into by those more in control of the new ground design than me but if not then worth considering but I should stress that this is at a higher level than present and at an A grade ground, albeit neither of those may be too far away for Dulwich.

Happy to answer any questions on life in the leagues above but it might make for depressing reading!

Aren't the minimum prices in the Conference aimed at helping ex-League clubs recover some revenue? It seems to hurt Welling quite a bit - it's £15 at Welling, £15 up the road at Charlton.

Ebbsfleet are owned by a Kuwait-based company and run by Peter Varney, who was chief exec at Charlton during their Premier League pomp, and seems to be creating a mini-Charlton there by all accounts.

Aren't the minimum prices in the Conference aimed at helping ex-League clubs recover some revenue? It seems to hurt Welling quite a bit - it's £15 at Welling, £15 up the road at Charlton.

Ebbsfleet are owned by a Kuwait-based company and run by Peter Varney, who was chief exec at Charlton during their Premier League pomp, and seems to be creating a mini-Charlton there by all accounts.

I'm not aware that there's any set price clubs have to charge but £15 at conference premier level seems to be about the going rate except at ex league clubs where they have charged more; I think it was £18 at bristol rovers/torquay.

As for the mini Charlton at Ebbsfleet, well they just chipped away at that by sacking Steve Brown but have done well to get Jamie Day in who is a good young manager and who you would expect to get them promoted now.

Just a general idea to boost attendances: would it be possible to print up a shedload of leaflets offering - say - half price entry for any game until the end of the season and distribute them far and wide and tie them in with an internet voucher scheme to ensure maximum coverage?

The leaflets could be targeted at (ahem!) 'normal' people to big up the fun and family friendly nature of a day at the club and maybe I could make up a special web page with all the details?

Just a general idea to boost attendances: would it be possible to print up a shedload of leaflets offering - say - half price entry for any game until the end of the season and distribute them far and wide and tie them in with an internet voucher scheme to ensure maximum coverage?

The leaflets could be targeted at (ahem!) 'normal' people to big up the fun and family friendly nature of a day at the club and maybe I could make up a special web page with all the details?

liamdhfc and Dulwich Mishi always supportive of ideas like this. Suggest you speak to them to work out details.

I agree with Monkeygrinder's Organ concerns though. Perhaps better to target particular games and market it thus? Supporters Trust and football committee both have ideas for rest of season. See last Trust Minute for details.

For the reason above is EXACTLY why we won't do this. As a Club I think we are more than generous with both our concessions, and 'one off' free ticket offers. If anyone knows of any local groups of people, not just the 'obvious' ones of schools, then let me know & we will offer them free tickets to a game. We don't do it to get lots of people into the ground, we do it to 'reach out to our 'non-footballing' local community. When they are here, no matter how many or few, they will spend, which ultimately is money the Club would not otherwise have had.
Our aim is to target far and wide, thinking 'outside the box' as we do...but to give people a 'falovour of Champion Hill', which I think enough of a percentage will enjoy to consider returning at our full price/concessions rate.
Reaching out the community does not mean we are a' charity' and we still need to try and gain as much income as possible to continue at the level we are.
I genuinely believe a blanket 'half price' voucher will be abused by some, and annoy some of our regular fans who will continue to pay full price every match, but who, I believe, are fully understanding of what we are trying to achieve through our 'targetted free one-off' mission.

Not that your idea was wrong, I hope I don't come across as 'too dismissive'. I welcome all ideas to target groups for 'one offs'. And welcome other ideas, either to myself & Liam, or through the Trust Board members, if you prefer to keep your ideas to yourself, and work through them.

Chelsea can send all their stewards out on loan. There they can learn to tell fans sit down for 90 minutes, shut up or chuck you out. Away fans will be OK though, they can stand for 90 minutes, sing sexist songs about rent boys and sticking flags up your arse or abuse the family section asking five years olds where they were when they were shit. Home 'tourist' fans will be fine with selfie sticks despite them being more lethal when thrown than a bottle of coke with the top off.

I genuinely believe a blanket 'half price' voucher will be abused by some, and annoy some of our regular fans who will continue to pay full price every match, but who, I believe, are fully understanding of what we are trying to achieve through our 'targetted free one-off' mission.
Again, the idea is that the voucher could only be used for any one game. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Obviously handing out unlimited half price tickets would be risky.

I would certainly find it easier to persuade a friend along to check out Hamlet for the first time if I could offer a half price ticket.

Again, the idea is that the voucher could only be used for any one game. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Obviously handing out unlimited half price tickets would be risky.

I would certainly find it easier to persuade a friend along to check out Hamlet for the first time if I could offer a half price ticket.

I thought about your issue in particular Editor.

I recommend that you ask Liam or Mishi for 10 free tickets or Editor +1 to bide you over for the rest of the season.

The football committee and Trust probably have their mind full of the ideas that they already have on the slate, but Saturday March 7th against VCD is a good time for season ticket holders to get a +1 of their own for new entrants to Champion Hill.

Which was offered before and I don't know how well it was taken up. If I had any friends I would force them to pay the £10 entrance anyway.

Which was offered before and I don't know how well it was taken up. If I had any friends I would force them to pay the £10 entrance anyway.
Quite a lot of my friends can't really afford £10 on what would be a punt for them, but from my experience thus far, quite a few will come back once they've seen the majesty of the Hamlet.

I'm not going to go on about it as it was just an idea, but even if 100 Hamlet regulars went for the one half price ticket, so long an equal number came along for a punt, we'd be quids in and potentially found new supporters.

Quite a lot of my friends can't really afford £10 on what would be a punt for them, but from my experience thus far, quite a few will come back once they've seen the majesty of the Hamlet.

I'm not going to go on about it as it was just an idea, but even if 100 Hamlet regulars went for the one half price ticket, so long an equal number came along for a punt, we'd be quids in and potentially found new supporters.

I reckon you should go on about it :)

Ask Mishi or Liam for the free tickets for your friends. They are for the press :-D

Also season ticket holders could be granted plus 1s for half price for the rest of the season. Not sure how many of our 100 odd aeason ticket holders would abuse that. Not many I would think :)

That's really sad. :(

You are my friend EDC. When you turn up! Last time I hugged you and all you did was wriggle away to the toilets opposite. I had to content myseld with singing your song at your lookalikes.

With regard to season ticket holders...we have already offered them an offer of four free tickets for family & friends, for a home game earlier this season.

We shall do this again later in the season.

As already stated, we have the best concessions around, and if people are interested and working they should be able to afford a tenner anyway.

As for the comments from 'editor', I will chat to him on Saturday, & will arrange for him to have a batch of tickets for a Saturday game at the end of the month, in appreciation for him to distribute as he likes, to anyone who knows who hasn't been before, in lieu of the excellent work he does in generating support & publicity for The Hamlet, on the 'Brixton Buzz'.

But it is not Club policy, nor will it be to offer general half price admission, which might be picked up by some of our loyal regulars, as being 'detrimental' to them.

Reactions: 000
It all happened today at Maidstone, another report of racism, further beer throwing at the Town End, and apparently a Tonbridge representative threw a punch at a Maidstone fan in response to the beer throwing at the players.

Back
Top Bottom