Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

Huge demonstration in Berlin today, on 17 Juni Strasse.

c5FNNLD.jpg

I'm getting the horrible sense this week that a significant number of people don't understand the rationale of lockdown rules, and are starting to completely disregard things. Over the last few days:

Someone in a locally-based facebook group said that their socially-distanced garden party (of close mates) went well at the weekend, so they are going to have a garden party at the end of August and everyone in the group is invited (we would only meet up as a group a couple of times a year under normal circumstances, we aren't all people who have been seeing each other anyway, and there's a lot more than 6 of us). Then there was talk about music, and camping overnight, and other things which would mean social distancing less likely to happen. Then it got a bit nasty when it became clear that some of the group thought it was a bad idea.

At the charity I work at I've had a few people - including one of the local councillors - asking me to set up the gardening and litterpicking groups and events again, and not understanding why I don't think this is a good idea.

Several friends on facebook posting pictures of meals or drinks out where they are social distancing from other customers, but not from their mates sitting on the same table (and sitting indoors with people from several households).

The local mutual aid group is putting on an outdoor event with stalls and a "free shop", and craft workshops and talks and sports - yes it'll all be socially distanced but still encouraging people who wouldn't usually meet up to mix.

I saw two seperate religious groups had events in the local park - giving out food with megaphone proselyting and scripture being handed out - mostly wearing masks but very little social distancing.

I was in the car, and there was an amazing sunset over the river, so we stopped in a pub carpark to take photos. We were thinking about getting a drink in the beer garden - but decided not too because there seemed to be no table service - it bar service (with screens) in the pub and there wasn't very good social distancing inside. Walking back to the car it started raining and we could see half the people in the beer garden walking into the pub - making it really crowded.

Like this isn't people deciding to not socially-distance with loved ones, or to meet up in slightly larger numbers than allowed as family or friends who all see each other anyway, its people getting back to almost-normal with people they don't usually see, even if they go through the motion of social distancing and being outside at least until it becomes inconvenient.

On the other hand, I know people who have been shielding or who are paid carers/PAs/support workers for people at very high risk, who have only seen one person at social distance (outside of work for the paid carers), and who are still avoiding shops and eating out and public transport.

Sorry for the long post!

we stopped in a pub carpark to take photos. We were thinking about getting a drink in the beer garden - but decided not too because there seemed to be no table service - it bar service (with screens) in the pub and there wasn't very good social distancing inside. Walking back to the car it started raining and we could see half the people in the beer garden walking into the pub - making it really crowded.

This is probably more something for the 'pubs reopening' thread, so my apologies.

But my impression is that one of the biggest problems with pubs re-opening is the huge levels of inconsistency of approach, between different pubs.

Both from what some friends have told me and from what I've seen myself, some pubs are managing the thing pretty well, with plenty of distancing enforced, insistance that anyone coming in uses the hand-sanitiser dispensers, requiring people to sit down both when they stay outside and go inside, but with a much-reduced number of interior tables, with big gaps between them..

Table service-only is frequent in many pubs.

But if bar service is allowed, only under very strict conditions -- one only at a time, not beyond a certain point, sometimes transparent screens in front of the bar, etc.

But if the pub you describe above lets a large garden crowd back into the pub when the rain falls, there surely wouldn't be enough tables for them, and then they'd be standing, some no doubt too close to the bar.

Which is surely rule-breaking or very close to it!! :hmm:

Last edited:
I went to a pub last night (sat outside) and the setup really didn't inspire confidence unfortunately. The one I went to a few weeks ago was great though.

I had the opposite, went to a pub on Sunday for the first time since this thing started. Sat outside, tables far apart, all cleaned before you sat down. They'd moved the drinks and food menu online, you looked at that on your phone then ordered at the door, card payments only. When they brought the food and drinks out they held them using bar cloths, and lots more other stuff besides. Had really clearly been carefully thought through.

Chatted to one of the staff and they said the owners had been really good with them in the last months, and have told them they have to feel and be safe as they can be. Really inspired confidence, and I expect they'll do well from it.

Last edited:

Concerning

In some ways the fact it's being reported thus is no bad thing. There's been far too much comment - mainly online but I've heard it in real life too - suggesting that Covid is now mainly a problem in poor, overcrowded inner city areas, and among minorities who either don't understand or won't follow the rules. The fact there's a nasty outbreak in an area like Trafford should shake people out of that complacency and more or less implicit racism.

In some ways the fact it's being reported thus is no bad thing. There's been far too much comment - mainly online but I've heard it in real life too - suggesting that Covid is now mainly a problem in poor, overcrowded inner city areas, and among minorities who either don't understand or won't follow the rules. The fact there's a nasty outbreak in an area like Trafford should shake people out of that complacency and more or less implicit racism.

Yes, its one thing to acknowledge that the impact is hitting harder in certain communities (particularly South Asian origin in North England) but its another thing entirely to start saying its because they don't follow the rules. There is a whole blame problem here.

I went to a pub last night (sat outside) and the setup really didn't inspire confidence unfortunately. The one I went to a few weeks ago was great though.

I remember during lockdown and before the pubs reopened urbs basically agreeing that any place that didn't take its responsibilities seriously should be given a wide berth. I've noticed a couple round my way and sounds like you have found one as well. Fuck em, I reckon.

Yes, its one thing to acknowledge that the impact is hitting harder in certain communities (particularly South Asian origin in North England) but its another thing entirely to start saying its because they don't follow the rules. There is a whole blame problem here.

For sure, but it's also possible to say some groups/communities/whatever people don't follow rules so well due to things that aren't their fault, such as poor communication by the State, lack of language ability, worse access to services etc., which I think is partly what's happening around where I live.

I remember during lockdown and before the pubs reopened urbs basically agreeing that any place that didn't take its responsibilities seriously should be given a wide berth. I've noticed a couple round my way and sounds like you have found one as well. Fuck em, I reckon.

Exactly. In most areas it's not too difficult at all to find a pub that has good hygiene and distancing and serving protocol :)
(And a garden or outside seating yard, ideally! :cool: )

Day off today so we’re going out, first time since early March 😱

We’re off to Victoria Park, gonna chill close to the Park Tavern so we can order takeaway food and drinks (if (when) we get through our ice bag wine). Blanket, Minirig, hip flask of 21 year old Rum, Woodbine.

Can’t wait, in fact am really excited. Just need to negotiate a small bit of London transport to get there.

Any local Urbs in the area you know what we look like so...

Was in Cardiff most of today.

Several pubs that I like were closed -- I love both the Cambrian and City Armses (great guest beer choice/range!).
But both were shut :(

Both are owned by Brains, and it seems that ALL Brains pubs are remaining closed for now :confused:

Otherwise, most places I visited had quite strict protocol about everything, but the staff everywhere were universally friendly and helpful.

Beer being quality helped a lot too :D :thumbs:

I went for a ride in Wentwood Forest, a bit cooler and anti-social distancing easily achieved.
Car park seemed to have a become a picnic area, just what makes sheeple drive to a beautifull woodland area then spend their time encamped in the parking area just baffles me.

Seems reasonable :)

Britain, one of the countries hardest hit by the virus, reported more than 1,000 new COVID-19 infections on Sunday, its highest daily increase since June, taking the total number of cases past 310,000.

Academics in a blog post had warned that the way the government health agency calculated the figures was skewed as patients who tested positive for coronavirus, but are successfully treated, will still be counted as dying from the virus "even if they had a heart attack or were run over by a bus three months later".

England's death figures vary substantially from day to day due to this reason, the academics had argued.

In contrast, the other parts of the United Kingdom do not follow the same approach. There is a cut-off threshold of 28 days in Scotland after a positive test, after which a patient is not automatically considered to have died from the virus.

Sooooooooooooooooo rather than counting them as Scotland does, which would seem the sensible way, we'll scrap the daily count altogether. Which means we lose up to a week's worth of early warning of increases. What bollocks, I wonder what the real reason is .....

Sooooooooooooooooo rather than counting them as Scotland does, which would seem the sensible way, we'll scrap the daily count altogether. Which means we lose up to a week's worth of early warning of increases. What bollocks, I wonder what the real reason is .....

Given that we know covid can cause heart problems it's not inconceivable that they could 'die of a heart attack 3 months later' :facepalm:

It's so fucking stupid 'I could test positive and be hit by a bus' is there any example where this has happened:facepalm:

Great idea for kids :facepalm:

That's horrible in so many ways. My sister is a primary school teacher and having a conversation with a parent of a really overweight child is a conversation she hates. Its apparently very tricky and you have to be very careful with every word used.

Just shaming a child in front of their class? Fuck off.

Yes that's insane, much better alternative:

For years, the fabulously beautiful planet of Bethselamin increased its booming tourist industry without any worries at all. Alas, as is often the case, this was an act of utter stupidity, as it led to a colossal cumulative erosion problem. Of course, what else could one expect with ten billion tourists per annum? Thus today the net balance between the amount you eat and the amount you excrete while on the planet is surgically removed from your body weight when you leave; so every time you go to the lavatory there, it is vitally important to get a receipt.

That's horrible in so many ways. My sister is a primary school teacher and having a conversation with a parent of a really overweight child is a conversation she hates. Its apparently very tricky and you have to be very careful with every word used.

Just shaming a child in front of their class? Fuck off.
When they weigh children in reception & year 6 it’s not done in front of the class and the child isn’t told the results.

All the obese children are just withdrawn by their parents anyway...

Back
Top Bottom