Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

Mumsnet's advice is just 'vote tory' though isn't it?
If you have become a trawling obsessive there is some organic stoneground wheat amongst the chaff... plus a stone-aged forum software that died out about 10 years ago everywhere else.

mumsnet always used to be solid middle-class liberal back in the day - one of it's founders is Alan Rusbridgers wife iirc - a friend of mine briefly had a Comment is Free column off the back of being a prolific poster over there... Things must have changed considerably if they're now a hive of tories.

Interesting graph here. Without the same levels of testing worldwide it's impossible to work out which countries are the worst affected

1584033807021.png

This pandemic could also be very bad news for many workingclass people as news reports in the financial press suggest a number of big companies are going under.

Cineworld Group plc who own almost 100 cinemas in the UK have issued a statement saying "The worst case scenario for the coronavirus outbreak, with moviegoers in the UK and US staying at home for three months, this would lead to “material uncertainty” and “may cast significant doubt about the group's ability to continue as a going concern”. Their shares were down 50% on the day which can only make things worse for their employees.

Finablr who own Travelex and Xpress Money as well as other companies has also said that the lack of people traveling and foreign exchange services have been hit hard by travel restrictions imposed to limit the spread of coronavirus could push them under, with the loss of many jobs. Their shares have dropped by 77% on the day and has put massive pressure on their finances. They also employ lots of people.

Intu (formerly Capital Shopping Centres Group plc) the company that owns a number of very big shopping centers in the UK look like it is going under, they lost over £2billion last year and have debts of £4.5billion that they can not refinance. While their problems are not down to COVID-19 people staying away because of the virus could well push them over the edge according to news reports. That would mean all the shops in some of the biggest shopping centers in the UK could close on their sites (a list of their sites can be found here, it includes intu Derby, Eldon Square in Newcastle, Lakeside, Merry Hill, Trafford Centre, Manchester Arndale Centre and many others)

This is just 3 companies of many that believe this virus could mean many job losses.

Was it just me or did others find it really chilling watching a British prime minister say that "many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time."

It almost brought to mind footage from the "Threads" era.

Back into work after a day off yesterday and some of the shelves not just loo roll and hand wash, have been decimated (photos below, so those shelved are usually chocker).

The poor online shoppers are facing Christmas levels of orders but without the level of staff who normally help out then.

IMG_20200311_095246.jpgIMG_20200313_062725.jpgIMG_20200313_062736.jpgIMG_20200313_062742.jpgIMG_20200313_063400.jpgIMG_20200313_063155.jpgIMG_20200311_095246.jpg

Was it just me or did others find it really chilling watching a British prime minister say that "many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time."

Every word that self serving cunt say's is chilling.

This is probably one of the more honest thing the cunt has ever said, chilling or not.

Back into work after a day off yesterday and some of the shelves not just loo roll and hand wash, have been decimated (photos below, so those shelved are usually chocker).

The poor online shoppers are facing Christmas levels of orders but without the level of staff who normally help out then.

View attachment 201517View attachment 201512View attachment 201513View attachment 201514View attachment 201515View attachment 201516View attachment 201517

Whereabouts is this? Round here there are empty shelves for a random selection of items (instant noodles, tinned kidney beans, crisps) but generally it looks like business as usual.

Johnson could lose his own mother and think of nothing besides the opportunity to bury some bad news. It's what he just did with his engagement and the prospect of his first acknowledged child.

FWIW I have no idea is his mother is still alive. Probably he doesn't either.

Yeah very grim. There's been a few shivers down my spine moments over this in the the last few weeks.

Whereabouts is this? Round here there are empty shelves for a random selection of items (instant noodles, tinned kidney beans, crisps) but generally it looks like business as usual.
We are short of those plus soup, pasta, flour, yeast, dried beans /lentils, UHT milk, eggs, tinned veg and chocolate!

The Albert pub in Brixton has put up hand sanitisers around the bar, which is a great idea, so I'm going to try and persuade other venues to do the same. I'm also going to persuade a piece asking clubs to temporarily get rid of the toilet attendants and replace their trays of trinkets and perfumes with piles and piles of soap because their presence tends to dissuade people from washing their hands or making them do it too quickly.

Maybe others could pass this advice on to bars in their area?

Just finished the article: Brixton bars and clubs and coronavirus – two important ways to help keep them safe for customers

Some of the pubs and bars around here, and cafes aren't exactly clean, especially the Toilets, they bare going to have to up their game

Why hasn't the Govt announced more stringent measures for business hygiene, toilets cleaned regularly, etc?

This might not really fit the thread title but here's the governments instructions for how to self isolate.
It asks things of people that sounds pretty much impossible if you live with other people especially children and do not have a vast mansion.

Ah, but the top politicians, civil servants, do have large houses, etc, they also don't seem to realise many young people now live in shared houses, sometimes 7 or 8 in one house.

Bubble beginning to have real consequences with C19.

they bare going to have to up their game
Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

Apols if this has already been put up, but an (Emeritus) Professor of Behavioural factors in Anti-Microbial Resistance has tweeted this thread on the assumptions that he thinks the UK state's strategy for herd immunity are based upon:

Interesting, if scary.

Apols if this has already been put up, but an (Emeritus) Professor of Behavioural factors in Anti-Microbial Resistance has tweeted this thread on the assumptions that he thinks the UK state's strategy for herd immunity are based upon:

Interesting, if scary.

It is. The approaches are poles apart too. One response is to treat it almost like Ebola, to isolate and kill the outbreak off. The other is to build herd immunity, so pretty much purposefully allow it to spread.

Here in Berlin everything non-essential has shut down. No clubs, bars, gyms, theatres and cinemas. Last week was still normal and now it feels like the apocalypse has arrived. It’s odd, looking at life in London on Facebook, where so far it’s business as usual. I see my friends posting from clubs, gigs, the theatre, etc. I‘m worried about the NHS not coping once severe infections hit critical mass.

I hope this means that we’ll get over this quicker in Germany and that normal life can resume in a couple of months. I was already going stir-crazy just because of winter and now spring has been cancelled. I’m more scared of getting lonely, bored and depressed rather than of getting the virus. I’ve at least got the cat. My workplace, the Berlin LGBT+ Center, has reduced its services and cancelled all social events. I hope it will stay open, just so I’ll get out of the house.

One thing about Germany which so far is remarkable is the low death rate. Its been explained to be down due to early testing, but can that be all ? We have roughly 4600 diagnosed infections but only 9 deaths. France has a slightly lower number of infections but over 90 deaths. Could it be that there are different strands ?

Last edited:
Today's Guardian piece by Dr William Hanage a Harvard professor of the evolution and epidemiology of infectious disease is quite something and troubling.

Summed up quite succinctly by this quote:
The most fundamental function of a government is to keep its people safe. It is from this that it derives its authority, the confidence of the people and its legitimacy. Nobody should be under the illusion that this is something that can be dodged through somehow manipulating a virus that we are only beginning to understand. This will not pass you by; this is not a tornado, it is a hurricane.

I did a grocery run early this morning. The shelves were bare of toilet paper, soup, pasta, pasta sauce, canned fruit and veggies, rice, and beans. There was plenty of everything else.

There were plenty of fresh foods. They had (very helpfully) moved all of the cheap alcohol to the front of the store and there was ample supplies.

I overheard a clerk say that their supply truck "is a couple of hours late" and they'd expect to have full shelves later in the day.

<edited to add>
Once again the kid who packed the sacks put my bananas on the bottom of the bag. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom