Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

Sorry, haven’t been paying attention to variants - thought you could only get it once like other viruses

Sorry, haven’t been paying attention to variants - thought you could only get it once like other viruses
So did I. That's why I'm wondering why friends and colleagues who had it in December, have it again now.
You know I'm not up on the science, I' m asking because of the implications for real life this term.

So did I. That's why I'm wondering why friends and colleagues who had it in December, have it again now.
You know I'm not up on the science, fair m asking because of the implications for real life this term.
I'm not up on it either- it seems way more rife in London than up here - still don't really know anyone who's had it or is even worried about it, though we're all taking the right precautions

I'm not up on it either- it seems way more rife in London than up here - still don't really know anyone who's had it or is even worried about it, though we're all taking the right precautions
I'm sure it'll come. This variant is so contagious.
I'm not scared of catching it because I've been in school and on public transport throughout.
This was the first time I've tested positive and I felt a bit ill for 3 days so didn't suffer.
But the boys did get sick, life was massively disrupted for a while and their dad got quite sick again although he tested negative.
So yeah, I liked the surety of being protected by immunity, which doesn't necessarily seem assured any more.

Is it possible that this second bout of illness isn't actually Covid, and is actually a cold? They might still be testing positive from the first bout, while suffering from a second, non-Covid virus.
That’s quite likely isn’t? Remember we all used to get weird mystery viruses all the time before

Is it possible that this second bout of illness isn't actually Covid, and is actually a cold? They might still be testing positive from the first bout, while suffering from a second, non-Covid virus.
It's possible but it's just weird it's happening to quite a few people I know.

Not really, the tests are very specific. A week ago, 75% of colds were covid, symptoms are the same.
Everyone I know got it and is pretty much recovered now.

No getting away from this virus this time, so highly infectious impossible to avoid now unless you don't leave the house.
Even thats not a guarantee as one person I knew did that, and still got it. 🤷‍♂️

elbows or anyone else.

do pandemics work where there issay an "end day". like a turning point where hte scientists start saying, "yes, it's over". like something the data releals that means the virus from that point is suddenly then fully and irreversibly on the back foot? or does the tpossibility of new variants squash the idea of such a day/period?

not a loaded question, just a layman quetion arising in my layman's mind.

Got two cases on my home ward this week. Doing basic ADL stuff in full PPE is more difficult. Staff with kids are starting to call in sick. Management are giving out mixed messages with regards to visits for the patients and provincial best practice guidelines. It’s a bit of a shit show to be honest. The clinical side are basically ignoring ‘leadership‘ and prioritising safety. I also think this ‘Omicron is mild’ stuff should be taken under advisement until it’s proven.

elbows or anyone else.

do pandemics work where there issay an "end day". like a turning point where hte scientists start saying, "yes, it's over". like something the data releals that means the virus from that point is suddenly then fully and irreversibly on the back foot? or does the tpossibility of new variants squash the idea of such a day/period?

Short answer: no.

Slightly longer answer: sort of yes, but it won’t really be possible to identify the point of the ‘end’ until probably 12-24 months after it happens.

Not really, the tests are very specific. A week ago, 75% of colds were covid, symptoms are the same.
Everyone I know got it and is pretty much recovered now.

No getting away from this virus this time, so highly infectious impossible to avoid now unless you don't leave the house.
Even thats not a guarantee as one person I knew did that, and still got it. 🤷‍♂️
You obviously didn't read/understand my post, as per.

elbows or anyone else.

I think there's probably some formal definition of what counts as a pandemic and what doesn't, and at some point Covid will cross some threshold of cases or transmission rates or whatever the metric is and the WHO will declare it is over.

elbows or anyone else.

The scientific and expert communities incorporate a range of different attitudes and complete consensus can be elusive. For example we already saw a bunch of experts in the UK trying to spend a big chunk of 2021 creating the impression that we were moving to a new phase, with talk of it becoming endemic, of not worrying too much about variants, and of the prospect of no more giant waves in 2021. Obviously that narrative went pear shaped, but it will be back again in the wake of the Omicron wave. Many other experts had no intention of jumping the gun in that way in 2021, but if things go ok then we will see their attitudes evolve plenty in 2022.

Future perceptions of the public will likely vary by country, especially when some governments conclude that the acute phase is ending for their own nation. A formal declaration of the end of the pandemic by the WHO will come later, likely once certain global vaccination targets have been met, or when the situation calms down in a whole bunch of countries for a more prolonged period than has been the case so far.

For the UK the really simple version of 'its all over' is not really anticipated, barring an unexpected turn of events in regards the presence of the virus. But other versions of 'its all over', in terms of the acute pandemic phase, are anticipated and there is much impatience to reach that point this year. This is why things like 'endemic equilibrium' get floated instead, and the idea we have to learn to live with the virus long term, which is not the same as living in a state of pandemic long term. There are a series of things that will probably end up being major milestones that cause big shifts in the publics perception that the pandemic is over here. These include:

Being able to go at least 6-9 months without a major new variant threat and a large wave.
Experiencing a large wave without experiencing a very large uptick in the number of deaths (current Omicron wave has that potential so far).
The authorities being confident enough to remove much of the mass testing and self-isolation system (likely on the agenda in the UK this year, but unclear how quickly or how far they will push that initially).
Things settling down into a traditional seasonal pattern where concerns about pressure on health services end up focussed on winter, with a yearly vaccination programme.

Last edited:
But would be people have been getting Delta in London in December, wasn't it all Omicron?
Even during the period when Omicron was rising to dominate there were still plenty of Delta cases around, and its only far more recently that I would stop making claims about there still being plenty of Delta about.

londondeltaomicron.jpg
From this document that includes proper info about what that and other graphs show: https://assets.publishing.service.g...044522/20211231_OS_Daily_Omicron_Overview.pdf

In regards my response to the 'end day' question, here is a glimpse of the new evolution of comments about the future that we'll get as a result of Omicron:

This is top sciences.

But as Covid cases continued to rise in the UK and hospitalisations at their highest in almost a year, he said “we’re not quite there yet”.

Yeah, and variants of concern that have sufficient immune escape demnstrated in 2021 the ability to piss on some experts chips.

For example professor Paul Hunter was all over the media in the 2nd half of 2021, talking about a looming future where the virus reaches a state of 'endemic equilibrium'. He wasnt all bad, and for example he readily acknowledged that the first versions of 'herd immunity' that we were sold as being the end game are in some ways now a dead concept. But a version of that stuff still exists in terms of severe disease and death, and those things and endemic equilibrium will surely come back into the narrative again once the sharp part of the current wave subsides.

Variants of concern have clearly proven to have been a stumbling block when it comes to these tidy narratives and declarations that the end is in sight. Far less experts will probably be willing to make loud noises about how confident they are that there will be no more variants with big implications in future. But there will be modified versions of such thoughts available, and they might even come true. Here is a recent example. I prefer to remain more cautious about such matters, and will do so for quite some time. I'll only be confident with hindsight and the increasing passage of time, but I'm certainly not ruling out the possibilities mentioned.

Last edited:
Is anyone else finding that general mask-wearing in shops has, if anything, gone down since before xmas (when it wasn't required at all)? The last few times I've been to supermarkets it's been maybe 50% tops.

I'm aware that epidemiologically speaking this is a fairly minor vector compared to schools, workplaces, hospitals, etc but it's the one I encounter regularly so it makes me anxious.

Was a bit of a dispiriting week for the Covid Testing folk.

Last two deliveries of LFT Self Test Kits have both been 50% lower than required. We have had to restrict supplies to key workers (including NHS staff and schools who are also getting little or none) let alone the general public. All of whom are being told by our disgraced #ToryScum government to test more. Not to bother with a PCR test but do daily LFT tests instead.

The last delivery consisted of boxes of 20 rather than 7 home LFTs. So I had staff unpacking them and making up bags of 5 or 10 so we could at least give some to people in need. Deconstructing hundreds of boxes then repacking them on bags is a seriously long and boring gig 🙄

Had a woman last week kick off because she paid tax and wanted a sealed box. I 'politely' told her that it was that or nothing. Her response was to hang around for 20 mins saying nice things like 'why did that NHS bitch get a sealed box and I can't have the same? You didn't even ask if I was a nurse.'

(she was wearing a company name badge ffs 😁)

Then accused me of racism and risking the lives of her family.

(she was not even wearing a mask 🙄)

Took a photo of me and told me she would let the public know what type of man I am.

All good fun 🤔

To add to this fun our Tuesday delivery if stock was delayed till today and has not arrived. So will not be here till Monday at the earliest and likely not the quantity we needed a week ago.

Not much fun telling care homes (and all key workers) there are no tests for them.

Is anyone else finding that general mask-wearing in shops has, if anything, gone down since before xmas (when it wasn't required at all)? The last few times I've been to supermarkets it's been maybe 50% tops.

I'm aware that epidemiologically speaking this is a fairly minor vector compared to schools, workplaces, hospitals, etc but it's the one I encounter regularly so it makes me anxious.
I’m so used to working in an environment in which mask wearing has never been mandated, that I often don’t notice whether customers have masks on or not, even though I’m supposed to ask people to wear them :oops:

Was a bit of a dispiriting week for the Covid Testing folk.

Last two deliveries of LFT Self Test Kits have both been 50% lower than required. We have had to restrict supplies to key workers (including NHS staff and schools who are also getting little or none) let alone the general public. All of whom are being told by our disgraced #ToryScum government to test more. Not to bother with a PCR test but do daily LFT tests instead.

The last delivery consisted of boxes of 20 rather than 7 home LFTs. So I had staff unpacking them and making up bags of 5 or 10 so we could at least give some to people in need. Deconstructing hundreds of boxes then repacking them on bags is a seriously long and boring gig 🙄

Had a woman last week kick off because she paid tax and wanted a sealed box. I 'politely' told her that it was that or nothing. Her response was to hang around for 20 mins saying nice things like 'why did that NHS bitch get a sealed box and I can't have the same? You didn't even ask if I was a nurse.'

(she was wearing a company name badge ffs 😁)

Then accused me of racism and risking the lives of her family.

(she was not even wearing a mask 🙄)

Took a photo of me and told me she would let the public know what type of man I am.

All good fun 🤔

To add to this fun our Tuesday delivery if stock was delayed till today and has not arrived. So will not be here till Monday at the earliest and likely not the quantity we needed a week ago.

Not much fun telling care homes (and all key workers) there are no tests for them.
We got loads of 25 packs that were meant for nursing homes, which we’ve had to redirect. Omnishambles isn’t it?

Nope, not around Worthing, mask wearing in both supermarkets & local shops are at 95%+

We got loads of 25 packs that were meant for nursing homes, which we’ve had to redirect. Omnishambles isn’t it?
Fucking farcical. Pretty consistent with general government performance throughout #ToryScum

What is also fun is the DHSC state they base their orders on previous/current demand. Because we have not had any stock (due to their lack of supply) the number distributed is way way less than actual demand. So am pretty certain the shortages will go on for weeks at least.

Variants of concern have clearly proven to have been a stumbling block when it comes to these tidy narratives and declarations that the end is in sight. Far less experts will probably be willing to make loud noises about how confident they are that there will be no more variants with big implications in future.
It is not yet clear whether the shift in tropism seen in omicron hasn't also been accompanied by a significant change in disease pathogenesis in another direction (as oppose to just a reduction in a previously dominant presentation). For example, that the typical severe disease pathway could shift from a shorter term respiratory focus to a longer term one of sequelae arising from the vasculopathy of resultant COVID-19 (it has been suggested that there are increased incidences of greatly elevated signals of microclotting in omicron patients). Other evolutionary paths may be available.

Back
Top Bottom