Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

How is it that even after getting the vaccine, someone can still be classed as very high risk on an online covid age assessment toolkit?

And because I think everybody (everybody scientific, anyway) is being extremely (and wisely) conservative about the possible benefits of vaccination.

There is always going to be a danger - and it's already happened, vide LynnDoyleCooper's earlier post - that people will see the vaccine as a black-and-white safe/not safe thing, Hopefully the caution being expressed will help reduce that from happening too much.

I know it`s hard to compare different countries and the way they`ve dealt with the pandemic, but Japan has only tested 12.5 million people so far. In a country of about 125 million. People I know who have had covid, or thought they had it couldn`t even get tested, they were told to stay home and to contact the hospital if their fever topped 37 (if I remember correctly). No need to fudge the numbers if you`re not testing people.
Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 4.53.10 PM.png

Was with one of my consultants who signed my occ health form as Very High Risk...still...
And then said "Covid is pretty much over here now".

I was taken aback because there is still Covid around and the Indian variant has arrived.

So ... Are we going back to normality and will the Autumn be Covid free this year?
Will the "Very High Risk" people be heading back into offices and working in close contact with others?

Call me a pessimist but...I don't see it happening that soon...

I've spent quite a bit of time for various reasons in a few different hospitals recently, and I've noticed that lots of the doctors don't wear their masks properly. Not so much the nurses.

Lots of docs not bending the nose wire, and so the mask slips down, they pull it back up, and repeat.

Why? Can any NHS workers here shed light on what the docs are thinking?

I recently took a mate to an appointment at Brighton hospital, and was shocked that the consultant we saw was wearing his mask below his nose, I wanted to say something, but didn't as my mate was upset & nervous enough without me adding to his stress.

I took him back for two further appointments, and passed staff in the corridors with masks below their noses, some even just hanging around their necks, and others doing as you say, Mation.

Yet, when I took him to Haywards Heath hospital for a scan last week, there was a chap behind a desk issuing free face masks, and getting anyone with unsuitable face coverings to swap them, and every member of staff & the public were wearing their masks correctly.

Oddly, both hospitals are part of the same trust. 🤷‍♂️

Yet, when I took him to Haywards Heath hospital for a scan last week, there was a chap behind a desk issuing free face masks, and getting anyone with unsuitable face coverings to swap them, and every member of staff & the public were wearing their masks correctly.
RSCH made me take off my FFP2 mask and put on a standard surgical mask instead the other week.

I’ve just gone into town for the first time since re-opening to get a prescription.

I couldn’t believe my eyes - THEY HAVE REOPENED TWO FUCKING ABOMINATIONS OF CHRISTMAS MARKETS. That were simply abandoned after the Dec 26th lockdown

Yes, decs/holly/misletoe-up, lights twinkling kiddies rides running, stalls serving…! At least they are still banned from playing music.

Also, nearby one place has set up a lot of sheds in part of its large car park. I had thought this might be for machines/other entertainments - but no, each shed has a plastic table and appropriate number of chairs, bookable in 2-hr slots for the serving of drinks from their utterly crap and grossly overpriced bar.

The queue for the sheds was right off the site, down the road to the nearest set of traffic lights and round the corner on to the main road.
Are people really that desperate?

I’ve just gone into town for the first time since re-opening to get a prescription.

I couldn’t believe my eyes - THEY HAVE REOPENED TWO FUCKING ABOMINATIONS OF CHRISTMAS MARKETS. That were simply abandoned after the Dec 26th lockdown

Yes, decs/holly/misletoe-up, lights twinkling kiddies rides running, stalls serving…!

Hurrah!

Where is that??? How long's it open for?

:D

Aberdeen - and probably for however as long as social distancing persists.

They have at least made attempts to make the second (larger, mostly sells drink) one looks bit more seasonal- ie hanging some plastic flower garlands amongst the holly/mistleto.

But - ELEVEN QUID FOR A CHEESEBURGER..! That’s dearer than even the Christmas market was stitching punters for - the cheapest food item on the entire menu was six quid.
I didn’t hang around to see the drink prices but there was no shortage of folk waiting for a table to become free.

One table did start singing and the bouncers were straight over - “STOP - You can get arrested for that!”

Last edited:
What sort of a twat would pay that? :hmm:

Someone that desperate for a drink - or to be seen having a drink.

I didn’t see where the burgers were coming from but when it was running in full Germanic mode at Christmas, there were a hell of a lot of Dulano packets in the bins behind the grill - so that might give you an idea of the scale of markups involved!

It will be interesting to see if the prices come down tomorrow when the restrictions are eased to allow indoor drinking again.

Last edited:
I've just had word that a relation asked a pharmacist if they had any covid tests and was told they don't exist. When clarified the pharmacist ranted about chip injections and all manner of loonspudery. This was at an supermarket instore pharmacy. It needs reporting doesn't it.
Yes.

I've just had word that a relation asked a pharmacist if they had any covid tests and was told they don't exist. When clarified the pharmacist ranted about chip injections and all manner of loonspudery. This was at an supermarket instore pharmacy. It needs reporting doesn't it.
Yes. Report it (somewhere?) because that is dangerous.

I have had a few reports of pharmacy staff asking questions like 'why do you need one' and asking for ID :(

They are free and simple to order online. You can pick them up at the testing centres with just a phone number. We have been giving people more than they need and as much advice as time allows.

Yes. Report it (somewhere?) because that is dangerous.
I would suggest both the supermarket and the General Pharmaceutical Council.

Downing Street has urged Britons not to take holidays in so-called amber list countries including France and Spain, but declined to explain why it remains legal for people to do so.

Boris Johnson’s spokesperson said the advice was that people should not travel to these destinations for leisure, but did not say why travel companies were being permitted to sell holidays to them.

“Our advice is that no one should be travelling to amber list countries, in the interests of public health,” he said when asked why amber list holidays were on sale. “There may be unavoidable, essential reasons for people to travel to amber list countries.”

The amber status confuses me as well. Green and red are pretty clear but amber just looks like the government saying don't travel here whilst doing a massive theatrical wink to the audience.

What sort of a twat would pay that?
If a Big Mac is your burger of choice, it's expensive. That's candy floss bread and Gerkin flavoured sauce.

If you have taste buds that work, it's worth investing a few quid more. Five Guys cheeseburgers are £8.95. I put Five Guys at the bottom run of the 'posh' burgers places.
My fav Byron (who just about went bust) classic Byron Burger is £11.95 but you get chips with that one.
£4 quid for chips at Five Guys. I'm always sure I don't need to spend £4 at Five Guys for chips because no human really needs that many chips in one sitting.

hmm now I fancy a Five Guys burger .....

If a Big Mac is your burger of choice, it's expensive. That's candy floss bread and Gerkin flavoured sauce.

If you have taste buds that work, it's worth investing a few quid more. Five Guys cheeseburgers are £8.95. I put Five Guys at the bottom run of the 'posh' burgers places.
My fav Byron (who just about went bust) classic Byron Burger is £11.95 but you get chips with that one.
£4 quid for chips at Five Guys. I'm always sure I don't need to spend £4 at Five Guys for chips because no human really needs that many chips in one sitting.

hmm now I fancy a Five Guys burger .....

When I asked 'what sort of a twat would pay that?', it was in the context of a burger from basically a market stall.

My fav village pub near me does a brilliant home-made burger with double fried chips for £9.95, which you get to enjoy in a lovely old building, with all the associated costs involved, so I get your point.

But, £11 for a market stall burger, nope.

Back
Top Bottom