Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

That's annoying. Perhaps it is not possible to date the photo. It appears to have been taken before the addition of the clock faces.
Here's what was there before the Town Hall was built

Torrey-Alexander-1.jpg

Here's what was there before the Town Hall was built

Torrey-Alexander-1.jpg

I'd seen that photo before on here but did not know about its use right before the Town Hall was built! "Not everyone was a fan." It seems incredible now and not that long ago either. So was there no Town Hall in Brixton prior to the current building?

I'd seen that photo before on here but did not know about its use right before the Town Hall was built! "Not everyone was a fan." It seems incredible now and not that long ago either. So was there no Town Hall in Brixton prior to the current building?
The Lambeth Vestry was run from a building in Kennington (built 1853 - do even in the Victorian era buildings were "no longer fit for purpose after 40 years or so!)
3325579_0b36abe1.jpg

The Lambeth Vestry was run from a building in Kennington (built 1853 - do even in the Victorian era buildings were "no longer fit for purpose after 40 years or so!)

think it may have been more 'not big enough' when the (then) new boroughs replaced the old civil vestries and district boards of works in 1900, although i think it's probably fair to say that there was a certain amount of municipal willy-waving on the part of the new boroughs...

think it may have been more 'not big enough' when the (then) new boroughs replaced the old civil vestries and district boards of works in 1900, although i think it's probably fair to say that there was a certain amount of municipal willy-waving on the part of the new boroughs...
The Lambeth population trebled between the vestry hall being completed and the new town hall being built - with much of that growth being in the south of the borough.
From Wikipedia page on Metropolitan Borough of Lambeth
The population of the metropolitan borough as recorded at each census was as follows:

Lambeth Vestry 1801–1899

Population
27,985​
41,644​
57,638​
87,856​
115,888​
139,325​
162,044​
208,342​
253,699​
275,203​
Year[source]
1801​
1811​
1821​
1831​
1841​
1851​
1861​
1871​
1881​
1891​
Metropolitan Borough 1900–1961

Population
301,895​
298,058​
302,863​
296,147​
230,240​
223,763​
Year[source]
1901​
1911​
1921​
1931​
1941​
1951​
1961​

I'm currently on a historic corruption trip - I think Gramsci had the pleasure of being in this dentist's chair!
The surgery is still there, apparently empty after all these years.
rsz_camberwell_dental_surgery_coldharbour_lane.jpg

Now for the biggy.
Brixton residents in the 1980s were familiar with Courtney Laws, a local fixer who made a profession of mediating between West Indian residents and official authorities - especially Lambeth Council. He had a charity "BNCA" Brixton Neighbourhood Community Association with an office in Railton Road opposite Saltoun Road and a pesnioners community centre at 105 Railton Road - which had been opened by the Queen Mother.
Courtney certainly had drive and business acumen - but he was incredibly mean too. He used to drink in the Atlantic and the Angel pubs - but never stood a round, and always expected others to get him drinks.
Elsewhere in Urban75 the story is told how David Bowie helped i]find-raise for the biggest and best Courtney Laws/BNCA roject - the rennovation of Carlton Hall in Bernays Grove behind Morelys.

When it comes to scandal and corruption there were iconic stories. Norwood MP John Fraser used to hold his weekly surgeries in the admin office/advice centre on Railton Road, which was managed by Mrs Lawes, Cortney's wife. One story concerns a young woman turning up to do secretarial work in the advice centre wearing trousers. The council got invokved in this situation because Mrs Lawes - a traditionally minded woman - sent the young lady home tellling her to come back prperly dressed - in a dress. It seems the temp was not going to take this lying down and a complaint was made to the council.

Towards the end of Courtney's life it was rumoured he had fax machines in the office dedicated to sending money home to Jamaica - and he was alleged to have four swanky properties in Ja bought with BNCA funding diverted from Lambeth Social Services. Rather remarkably Lambeth did start fraud investigations and it was reported in the South London Press that Coirtney had been charged with fraud was going to appear in court to answer these fraud charges. Remarkably he died of a heart attack the day before the hearing was due to start. I remember mentioning this to our auditor at Lambeth Accord. "What else could he do?" was his cryptic response.

Now Claudette Laws, Courtney's youngest daughter has made a podcast to put the matter straight. I haven't listened yet - but I will. It is certainly true as she says in the intro that Courtney was savaged by the press at the end. But set this in context of Lambeth Council being a by-word for corruption and the very positive coverage he had had earlier in his life, with the Queen Mum opening his community centre and David Bowie doing a fundraiser for Carlton Hall.

I'm currently on a historic corruption trip - I think Gramsci had the pleasure of being in this dentist's chair!
The surgery is still there, apparently empty after all these years.
rsz_camberwell_dental_surgery_coldharbour_lane.jpg
It was me. Luckily I smelt a rat when he suddenly claimed I needed a load of work out of the blue. Not long after the bastard was in court.

And looking west, only the Mini Mart survives. I miss the Discount Store!
Mr George Fell - reading The Times in his white coat.
Did a roaring trade in audio cassette tapes, light bulbs etc.
I still have a pair of Whardale Delta 90 disco speakers I bought from him in around 1990. Work well on classical, even now.
I burnt out one of the mid-range speaker drivers playing Wagner. "Oh dear" said George. "Don't worry, bring in the faulty speaker unit and I'll see what I can do"
He sent it back to Wharfedale who replaced it with another driver, no charge.
That must have been around 1990. Doubt you'd get service like that these days - from a shop or a manufacturer.

Everyone of these businesses has now gone from Coldharbour Lane (this pic taken in July 2000)

Labalaba Restaurant was unique. The owner, Charles Ng was larger than life, but seemed to have a problem with strong women. Mrs Roy, at the Post Office next door couldn't stand him. Nor could Dorothea the entrepreneurial woman who sold hotdogs from her caravan outside the Fridge in the 1990s. I was behind them in the checkout queue at KwikSave in Brixton market one day when they almost came to blows.
Charles had a weakness for Fela Kuti, and I happened to be in the restaurant when the news came through that Fela had died. I mentioned to Charles that I had a couple of Fela video cassettes. "I'll buy them off you" he said so I popped back home and fetched them. He paid me with a £50 note!
The Labalaba was not as smart and clean as Enosh, but it was homely. When they screened off a cubicle for a fortune-teller that was going a bit far for me however.
Labalaba2.jpgLabalaba1.jpg

Now for the biggy.
Brixton residents in the 1980s were familiar with Courtney Laws, a local fixer who made a profession of mediating between West Indian residents and official authorities - especially Lambeth Council. He had a charity "BNCA" Brixton Neighbourhood Community Association with an office in Railton Road opposite Saltoun Road and a pesnioners community centre at 105 Railton Road - which had been opened by the Queen Mother.
Courtney certainly had drive and business acumen - but he was incredibly mean too. He used to drink in the Atlantic and the Angel pubs - but never stood a round, and always expected others to get him drinks.
Elsewhere in Urban75 the story is told how David Bowie helped i]find-raise for the biggest and best Courtney Laws/BNCA roject - the rennovation of Carlton Hall in Bernays Grove behind Morelys.

When it comes to scandal and corruption there were iconic stories. Norwood MP John Fraser used to hold his weekly surgeries in the admin office/advice centre on Railton Road, which was managed by Mrs Lawes, Cortney's wife. One story concerns a young woman turning up to do secretarial work in the advice centre wearing trousers. The council got invokved in this situation because Mrs Lawes - a traditionally minded woman - sent the young lady home tellling her to come back prperly dressed - in a dress. It seems the temp was not going to take this lying down and a complaint was made to the council.

Towards the end of Courtney's life it was rumoured he had fax machines in the office dedicated to sending money home to Jamaica - and he was alleged to have four swanky properties in Ja bought with BNCA funding diverted from Lambeth Social Services. Rather remarkably Lambeth did start fraud investigations and it was reported in the South London Press that Coirtney had been charged with fraud was going to appear in court to answer these fraud charges. Remarkably he died of a heart attack the day before the hearing was due to start. I remember mentioning this to our auditor at Lambeth Accord. "What else could he do?" was his cryptic response.

Now Claudette Laws, Courtney's youngest daughter has made a podcast to put the matter straight. I haven't listened yet - but I will. It is certainly true as she says in the intro that Courtney was savaged by the press at the end. But set this in context of Lambeth Council being a by-word for corruption and the very positive coverage he had had earlier in his life, with the Queen Mum opening his community centre and David Bowie doing a fundraiser for Carlton Hall.

how do you send money by fax?

in answer to something posted on another thread

Did you ever go the Lyons & Co Tea House in Brixton, I am curious where it was. Someone once said it was where McDonalds is now and has been since October 2092. I know that all the Lyons Corner houses had closed by 1977 and some sooner. If it was not at the McDonalds site, I just know it would have been on the same side as Morley's department store, on the way to McDonalds. I found a photo that mentioned it, but my eyesight not that good to see exactly.

there's a picture here on brixton buzz

1919 London suburbs directory confirms J Lyons at 490 Brixton Road (now holland + barrett)

1684448522242.png

It's possible they had somewhere else later - anything newer isn't public domain yet.

The building that's now McDonalds (on the corner of Acre Lane) was Isaac Walton + Co, Clothiers in 1919 (another Brixton Buzz article here) but was the Times Furnishing Company (don't think they were part of the newspaper empire) by c. 1950

late 20s / early 30s -

From the vaults:

This would appear to be the toilets on Windrush Square under construction!

View attachment 380803
Take a look inside!

And also: Petition launched to provide more public toilets in Brixton

Now for the biggy.

The podcast is excellent - thanks for that!

Back
Top Bottom