Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Acre Lane

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I know nothing about copyright.
There's a good answer here:

With regards to UK copyright law - As postcards are PUBLISHED material copyright expires 70 years after the first date of publication or 70 years after the the date of death of the author. The key is that it is published material, rather than an unpublished photograph.

Many publishing houses and archives conveniently forget this as a way of frightening people into paying for 'copyright' when in fact copyright has expired. This includes some of our more famous institutions. . This means that copyright on any WWI era [Edit: anonymous] postcard would probably have expired in the late1980s at the latest ( 1918 +70 = 1988).

For exactly the same reasons this is why you can buy (in the UK) all the classic literature for £1 in many bookshops. For example, the copyright on Dickens' material expired on the last day of the year 70 years after his death in 1870. i.e expired on 31st Dec 1940. The Dickens family would love to harvest a royalty on all his material but UK copyright law is very clear. The only exception to this is Crown Copyright which is perpetual. Having said that the right to use Crown Copyright material is very easy (and cheap) to obtain . .. If you need chapter and verse on UK copyright law then PM me as I have challenged a few institutions and all have backed down. I have one running case where 4 institutions all claim copyright on the same image whose copyright expired many years ago.

but do you remember the P4 when it was really little?

P4_FS6.jpg

(these were on the P4 until december 1976)

I don't remember these on the P4 (think i probably only encountered P4's when they got as far as lewisham) but do remember them on the B1 at bromley and eltham

Didn't it become home of Lambeth Youth Offending Service for a while?
Yes -something like that. I remember Lambeth moving out rather than moving in, which would have been in the 1990s. Did they just go round the corner to the building next to the Academy (top of Peter's Barbers/Sackville Travel) - or was that a different department?

That's annoying. Perhaps it is not possible to date the photo. It appears to have been taken before the addition of the clock faces.

Dates (and sometimes descriptions) of photos in archives aren't always accurate. I've found a few that can't be right (e.g. pictures of a tram with a date well before the line opened, or after it closed) and the old cursive r causes grief - found some photos somewhere of dartford that had been logged as deptford...

Lambeth Landmark has some artists impressions / plans of the alternative town hall designs that were put forward (here and next few pages)

Back
Top Bottom