Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Short (8 min) film about Austin Osman Spare whose final abode was in Wynne Road near "Stockwell" PO sorting office and commemorated on the side of adjacent building
aos.jpg

Ed: [this clip is from 2010 - the Cuming Museum no longer exists unfortunately]

Last edited:
Some cracking pics here -

Chris Steele-Perkins: Brixton 1973-1975​

lon26257-teaser-story-big.jpg

lon129505-teaser-story-big.jpg

lon45784-overlay.jpg

Great piece here

Below we’ve tried to set out some of the changes we’ve seen in Brixton, South London, since the heady days of the early 1980s. In the 1970s and ‘80s the mainly West Indian street culture, the blues clubs of the frontline, and the huge teeming alternative scene, largely hosted in squatted houses and venues, combined to produce what seemed almost an alternative counter-culture, or maybe more accurately, several parallel counter-cultures which overlapped in places. Over the last 30 years much of this has gradually ebbed away – though considerable remnants can still be found here and there.

Some cracking pics here -

Chris Steele-Perkins: Brixton 1973-1975​

lon26257-teaser-story-big.jpg

lon129505-teaser-story-big.jpg

lon45784-overlay.jpg

Great photos, but I see Magnum are repeating the error from the Photofusion show in 2019 of including his 1979 picture of Maggie Thatcher on the election campaign trail as being in Brixton Market, when it is very obviously Petticoat Lane in the East End!

Coldharbour Lane after the riots (by junction with Gresham/Barrington Roads).

I wonder when the clock outside the chemist vanished - I definitely remember seeing it.

s-l1600.jpg

I remember seeing that. The ground floor was a furniture shop. It was set alight and the whole block burned down. Luckily no one was killed in flats above. It was not part of the main riot area.

What an evocative pic, that little girl would be 80s now and that macaw could even still be going strong. I wonder why the guy in the background is wearing safety goggles. They don't look like they were for motorcycling

Fascinating story of an awful tragedy. Reading this article, I could feel Jack Eaton's pain and frustration. at the loss of his son and the subsequent cover up.

Seen on eBay:

s-l500.jpg

Shopkeeper protects store from looters, 1981

s-l640.jpg

Brixton Riots Burnt out building 1981

Brixton shopkeeper prepares to defend his stock against looters 1981 Old Photo 1

looks like it's from the photo that led to this

Definitely. Though I think Ron does postcards - so both might be the same source.
There is an Urban thread on Loughborough House too The redevelopment of Loughborough House, Loughborough Junction

I'n not sure if this picture is in that thread - but its clear from the first post on there that Loughborough House was already a but spoiled even before the latest owner did a gutting and "face lift".

Back
Top Bottom