Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

I'm pretty sure that's the corner with Morrish Road.
You're right as the pattern on the top of the houses to the left match up. Annoyingly there doesn't seem to to be a comparable view available on Google Maps because some business has decided they need to be all blurred out, FFS.

1595269764427.png

Anyone live nearby that can take a quick pic?

Agree it is not New Park Road corner - the angle is wrong as it would be sharper if New Park Road.

If it is Morrish (which I agree it probably is, then I guess Holmewood Road must be slightly obscured by the carriage on the right.

Is there a date for the Photo? There is no new Park Court - but that was only built in the 20's.

PS - "Tuson's corner" confused me. A google suggests that it is pretty much only referred to as that on Urban and a bit by the Brixton Society (as recognised by Editor in their 2007 article)

Apologies - the above was written without realising we were now on page 55 - so my useful contribution was 2 days too late :facepalm:

Anyway - here are adverts for New Park court, if you haven't already done them, since you're focusing on the top of the hill - (from 1935 and 1939 (Lambeth Archives))
new_park_court.jpg

PS - "Tuson's corner" confused me. A google suggests that it is pretty much only referred to as that on Urban and a bit by the Brixton Society (as recognised by Editor in their 2007 article)
There is still a faded sign saying Tuson's Corner on the first floor of the building at the angle with New Park Road. Or at least there was a couple of years ago. I recall noticing it when walking on Rush Common.

That whole section up as far as Brixton Hill Place is really interesting, but you need to step across the road to see it properly. A whole mix of buildings including what were once some rather fine Georgian houses. You can see how the original alignment was further back and the building line is quite ragged in parts. It reminds me a little of the northern bit of Clapham Common/Old Town around the church.

Can you tell me where you access these directories and how you search them?
Here's the link:
There's a search box at the top of the page, but it usually helps to limit the search geographically by clicking on one of the local county links first. You might also find the advanced search more useful, depending what you're after.

The search results are PDF files with an image of the page, but with invisible live text superimposed over the top which can be cut and pasted.

Currently they don't have anything after 1919.

Here's the link:
There's a search box at the top of the page, but it usually helps to limit the search geographically by clicking on one of the local county links first. You might also find the advanced search more useful, depending what you're after.

The search results are PDF files with an image of the page, but with invisible live text superimposed over the top which can be cut and pasted.

Currently they don't have anything after 1919.
Thanks. I'd looked at that previously but then been a bit confused by how the search works. If I search for a particular word or name, it seems to give me a list of pages, but then the word is not highlighted within those pages. So I guess I just need to then find the relevant word within that page manually?

Thanks. I'd looked at that previously but then been a bit confused by how the search works. If I search for a particular word or name, it seems to give me a list of pages, but then the word is not highlighted within those pages. So I guess I just need to then find the relevant word within that page manually?
In the right-hand column above the thumbnail images it says 'Show all' or 'Filtered'. Click 'Filtered', then the only pages that show will be ones that contain the search results. Then in the full page image the search word should be highlighted in yellow. Should be the default IMHO, but it isn't.

In the right-hand column above the thumbnail images it says 'Show all' or 'Filtered'. Click 'Filtered', then the only pages that show will be ones that contain the search results. Then in the full page image the search word should be highlighted in yellow. Should be the default IMHO, but it isn't.
Hm, for me even if I click filtered, it doesn't highlight in the text. Also very slow to load pages. Maybe it's to do with my browser.

you can download the whole document as a PDF (although it's fairly hefty at 75 - 100 MB each so depends on your connection / internet deal) - this can make searching a bit easier (although acrobat reader still takes some time to get through that many pages)

this is the page for London directories.

I'm assuming the pre 1919 thing is copyright reasons.

Brixton is usually in the 'London Suburbs' rather than 'London' one, although they moved the boundary occasionally. (and at a tangent to this thread, it's worth bearing in mind that a fair chunk of what's now administratively London wasn't then)

One other alert that may be of use - my local library (others may have done similar) has made the full version of ancestry.co.uk available from home (with a library login) - this includes BT's phone book archive from about year dot to the 1980s, so can also be useful in trying to locate (for example) particular shops in old photos.

slightly tenuous (although the tram might have come up the line from brixton) this appeared on flickr today

the elephant - early 1900s

Ah, I remember this as a bank when I was a kid but couldn't remember it was a Barclays! I think this must have been around 72, can someone confirm?

Never knew that that the old Brixton Archives building was once a Barclays bank!
Ah, I remember this as a bank when I was a kid but couldn't remember it was a Barclays! I think this must have been around 72, can someone confirm?
I think it was a Martins Bank originally.

Martins Bank - Wikipedia says Martins Bank acquired by Barclays in 1969

378 Coldharbour Lane is in the 1960 and 1973 phone book as Barclays

1919 post office directory (the most recent that's public domain) has Freke & Co. chemists at this address

Not marked as a bank on 1950 OS map, and not listed as Barclays in 1950 phone book.

Post Office Directories show Freke & Co, chemists at 378 Coldharbour Lane until 1960, Sometime during that year Barclay's Bank moved in. They stayed until 1977 then it was empty for a few years. In 1985 it is shown as Sabarr Books.

15 years ago in Brixton

Brixton in August 2005: Street photos, Dogstar, Prince Albert and Medusa

Reactions: CH1
on flickr today

knackered trams from Bexley / Erith awaiting scrapping in Brixton Hill depot (the one that's still there with 'LCC Tramways' above the door) c. 1933 after London Transport took over London's bus and tram operators.

ITV arts / documentary 'Aquarius' did a special on british reggae, 1976 - came up in a tweeter conversation recently.

features notting hill, brixton, stoke newington

Back
Top Bottom