Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Kent Rail has added some 1976 photos of Brixton Station

brixton_sunday_13th_june_1976_2-SAP.jpg

brixton_13_june_1976_002.jpg

more here

Interesting. There is an Edward Harris, chimney sweep listed at 4a Station Avenue in 1920 but nothing either side. And George May was a rag dealer / marine store owner from 1907 to 1920 in Lewis Road now known as Padfield Road.

1911 Post Office London Suburbs Directory lists

Harris William, chimney sweeper, 5 Sussex road, Brixton SW

Sussex Road isn't there any more

1951 OS map here

I make it about (as close as Street View will take me) here

I'm amazed that horse drawn mail coaches will still happening in 1905, to be honest!

yes - looks like it was not quite the traditional 'mail coach' - some stuff on the postal museum website says the last London mail coach ran in 1846 on the route to Norwich

Sounds like these 'parcel coaches' started up in 1887 due to high cost of sending stuff by rail, and travelled with an armed guard (possibly high value parcels?)

Some horse drawn vans were still used by the post office in London until the late 40s (blog post here)

1911 Post Office London Suburbs Directory lists

Harris William, chimney sweeper, 5 Sussex road, Brixton SW

Sussex Road isn't there any more

1951 OS map here

I make it about (as close as Street View will take me) here
[/QUOTE
I looked at no 5 Sussex Road , I have William Harris , chimney sweep there from 1910-11 to 1918. I haven't recorded 1919-1921 but in 1922 no 5 is occupied by William Bidwell.
However he is also listed at no 7 Sussex road from 1880 as a chimney sweep through to 1901 and from 1902 as a marine store dealer, with Mrs Kate Waller at the same address as a wardrobe dealer until 1907-1908.

I looked at no 5 Sussex Road , I have William Harris , chimney sweep there from 1910-11 to 1918. I haven't recorded 1919-1921 but in 1922 no 5 is occupied by William Bidwell.
However he is also listed at no 7 Sussex road from 1880 as a chimney sweep through to 1901 and from 1902 as a marine store dealer, with Mrs Kate Waller at the same address as a wardrobe dealer until 1907-1908

I've seen this photo before - says it was taken on a Derby Day in the 1880s, hence the rush towards Epsom and the 'sandwich men' at the roadside.

Horse tram is from the London Tramways Company - St George's Church (opposite Borough Station) was as close as they got to London Bridge, and some of their routes were V shaped, the 'Lord Wellington' shown as the terminus was on Old Kent Road near where Asda is now.

(BTW, haven't forgotten about writing something about the cable tram, it's not been a great couple of weeks)

on tweeter today

DPnJnJFb

(collage page / larger image here - says it's 1907)

1904 / 1911 London Suburbs directories have this as 16 Hinton Road, just north of the junction of Milkwood Road.

Bit hard to place, as the street numbering had changed before the 1950 OS map

I think it's the building shown as 'ruin' on that map, which would make it about where Kingsley Point is now.

Advert in the window is for an event at the Surrey Masonic Hall, which was at 295 Camberwell New Road - more here
There is another version of this photo which has the street sign - Hardess Street. But it doesn't tie up with the OS map for Hinton Road.

View attachment 211094

View attachment 211097

The building shape suggests the other end of Hardess St on Herne Hill Road. Which leads to the idea that the De Gerdons had two shops.

The label on the photo is wrong: the location is the corner of Hardess St and Herne Hill Road.

A couple of contributors on the contested Memories of Brixton and Stockwell Facebook page mentioned working in the Hayes Laundry at 129 Coldharbour Lane on leaving school etc.

I was of course familiar with the Walton Lodge Laundry up the Brixton end of Coldhabour Lane, but there was indeed another laundry on the site which now belongs to Kings College Hospital - and before that was a "trading estate" occupied by Lambeth Council.

Hayes Laundry appear to have notified there customers their stuff was ready with this elegant postcard
Hayes Laundry postcard.JPG
The site has totally changed - the Rayne Institute was also build adjacent. This is a Lambeth copyright photo
LambethHayes Laundry.jpg

Busy road scene

probably about 1908 - trams on the Brixton patch got trolley poles in 1909 when the line was extended from Streatham to Norbury but on overhead wire electrification.

There was a very short gap at Norbury between the London County Council's line from the north and the Croydon Corporation tram terminus - the lines didn't get joined up until the mid 1920s.

And by coincidence this appeared in my feed from a month before. I think I might have been at this show. Possibly.

1595203803042.png

I want to do one of my history pieces on this view of Brixton Hill but can't find any street numbers - or the address of Walter bacon - to match the current site.

Based on the slight curve of the road downwards, my by best guess is that it's New Park Road to the left (Tuson's Corner) - can anyone confirm?

View attachment 222929

I want to do one of my history pieces on this view of Brixton Hill but can't find any street numbers - or the address of Walter bacon - to match the current site.

Based on the slight curve of the road downwards, my by best guess is that it's New Park Road to the left (Tuson's Corner) - can anyone confirm?
I'm pretty sure that's the corner with Morrish Road.

Back
Top Bottom