Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Another history feature:

Brixton history: Tram tracks on Brixton Road, 1907

tram-works-1907-4.jpg

What a night that must have been - and all hosted by Keith Fordyce! If you've never heard of him he was one of those "chaps" the BBC employed post-war (think Pete Murray, David Jacobs etc.). I recall that Keith would usually sport a smart tweed jacket.

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1
on flickr today

there were not that many places in london where there was room for a 'loading island' like this - usually passengers had to wait on the kerb then for other traffic between the tram and the kerb to stop for them

I like this one. What's the shop named that is now Macd's?

Well, as someone who genuinely wants independence for the Granada TV region (Granada were going to issue Northern passports to their staff in the early days - true story) but also loves Brixton - it's a thrill to see the two things on one poster.

Well, as someone who genuinely wants independence for the Granada TV region (Granada were going to issue Northern passports to their staff in the early days - true story) but also loves Brixton - it's a thrill to see the two things on one poster.
Always referred to as "Granadaland" back in the day.

More history:

Brixton history: Chocolate, beer and wine on Railton Road, SE24 in 1956

Although we think of advertising permeating all aspects of our 21st century lives it seemed no different in the last century. As well as the Railton Road image look at this one from the 1930s, corner of Shakespeare and Mayall Road: https://boroughphotos.org/lambeth/mayall-road-herne-hill-2/ I wouldn't be happy with all of that on the end of my house.

Would be interesting to know who the passengers are. Looks very much like a promo shot.

possibly. haven't done much digging yet.

clearly the tram has stopped for the photographer.

don't think there was a hard and fast rule, but possibly slightly unusual for more respectable ladies / gentlemen with top hat to be riding on the top deck of a tram in that era.

did you get any other info with the photo, editor ? must be later in the life of the cable tramway, as it's carrying LCC (London County Council) lettering not London Tramways Company.

Pure speculation on my part, but possibly a final jaunt before the line closed for electrification?

possibly. haven't done much digging yet.

clearly the tram has stopped for the photographer.

don't think there was a hard and fast rule, but possibly slightly unusual for more respectable ladies / gentlemen with top hat to be riding on the top deck of a tram in that era.

did you get any other info with the photo, editor ? must be later in the life of the cable tramway, as it's carrying LCC (London County Council) lettering not London Tramways Company.

Pure speculation on my part, but possibly a final jaunt before the line closed for electrification?
All I've got is "Photocard of Cable Tram outside the George IV Public House, Brixton Hill, 1905, "

All I've got is "Photocard of Cable Tram outside the George IV Public House, Brixton Hill, 1905, "

:hmm:

it's on record that the cable trams finished operating in 1904 - maybe the postcard was posted in 1905?

pity that both the posters on the board headed ...MAY aren't readable. likewise under the 'EMPRESS BRIXTON', there's "XXXX, Manager" which might help pin the date down.

But it’s not a cable tram. Is it?

yes

in the early years, the brixton cable trams had a tractor / dummy / gripper car that pulled the passenger car (it took over from horses or vice versa at kennington) like so

brixton-trams-14.jpg

but after a few years they realised they didn't need a separate bit of kit that would take up depot space, and attached cable-gripping kit to the trailers. i haven't quite got a grip (if you'll pardon the expression) of the technical angle of this yet though

Back
Top Bottom