Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Brixton East has been coming up a bit of late with the election- anyone know what has happened with that council feasibility thing? I confess to not following it
If you mean re-opening East Station Station, it is mentioned in the local plan as an aspiration.

The proviso is that the more railway obsessive people (such as teuchter and Crispy on here) will tell you it can;t be done due to health and safety, short platforms etc.

Not sure what the various parties have to say. The Tory leaflet majors on Mental Health, the Lib Dems on giving estate dwellers a choice about being regenerated.

Labour's tweets are all about being beauteous. Frankly my dear I couldn't give a damn!

I'll try and work or Michael Groce on the off-chance he gets in.
Lambeth Council starts review to look at business case for reopening East Brixton train station
Call for Brixton link to Overground rail network
Design team sought for East Brixton Station revival

One did try and thrust this into the public eye back in the 2014 election (and maybe contributed to the debate above)

Meanwhile if you are talking of Brixton East, the arts venue this has apparently recently closed down
Brixton East 1871 (@BrixtonEast1871) | Twitter

Brixton East station could easily be reopened. The tracks are flat and there's space for platforms. The much more useful proposal for a new station on the high-level line over Brixton station and tube is the one that's "infeasibly" complex and expensive.

Brixton East station could easily be reopened. The tracks are flat and there's space for platforms. The much more useful proposal for a new station on the high-level line over Brixton station and tube is the one that's "infeasibly" complex and expensive.

That's roughly my understanding of it.

Although I think I'm right in saying that any new East Brixton station would need to be constructed to modern day standards of - among other things - accessibility, which would mean lifts, which would have a construction and maintenance cost attached.

Standards are quite stringent for new stations (and that's where the issue of curved platforms, or stations on a gradient comes in) compared to standards that are accepted on the basis that a station has been in use since before the new standards came in.

Still be a tight fit to wedge in the station. The original platforms were very narrow compared to most stations but with enough will, it should definitely be do-able.
That said, a new, super-handy station would add even more pressure on rental/house prices in the area.

2018-08-22_171205.jpg

Look at these poor buggers

2018-08-24_204050.jpg

Recruiting in the Great War at Lambeth Town Hall for the The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

DlsiyzPUYAAl_Wr.jpg

DlsiyxQUUAEWBpM.jpg

DlsjWG4X4AAXYPk.jpg

on tweeter today courtesy of LdnMetArchives (@LdnMetArchives) on Twitter

students in action at the LCC School of Building, Brixton (Ferndale Road)

Ah. Well, you've got it narrowed down a bit then. What other Google-able events on Brixton Road are there that can tie it to a particular time?

"Happily, the poster 'haushoch' came to the rescue, unearthing a photo showing a section of the footbridge from 'London Anders Reisen' published in 1980 by Rowohlt Taschenbuch Verlag GmBH."

With Urban 75's very own post, we know that it must have come down in 1980 or before 11 April 1981 then.

e2a Ah, Only PUBLISHED in 1980. I haven't had a drink, but I'm posting as if I had. I'll retire from the thread.

Would be interesting to know when the footbridge was installed, as well as when it was removed. Was it prompted by an increase in motor traffic, or earlier than that and related say to the start of regular tram routes through the town centre.

Cool. I wish there were more mysteries and less fighting on U75. This is more how I imagined the internet when it started. What else can we investigate.

In fact, I have one but it's going to have to go in another sub-forum...

Would be interesting to know when the footbridge was installed, as well as when it was removed. Was it prompted by an increase in motor traffic, or earlier than that and related say to the start of regular tram routes through the town centre.

sealion has come up with the definitive answer on the first bit (I'd found references on the earlier thread to it not having been there in one or two 1960s photos) I'll not add to that.

as to why, it may have gone up at the same time as the pavements and central reservation got barriers to stop pedestrians crossing - very much part of 1960s / 70s thinking on town / highways planning - the "let cars go as fast as possible, get pedestrians out of their way even if it means them having to walk three times as far" approach

Back
Top Bottom