Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Bit about the Ritzy:

electric-pavilion.jpg

Brixton history: The Electric Pavilion (Ritzy) before the First World War

Interesting pic showing the installation of a conduit for the tram in Brixton Road c 1907.

not quite sure about that.

the third one i've seen before and yes it's brixton - think the track is under repair rather than being installed - the cable system was replaced by electric conduit rather rapidly in 1904. the tram looks slightly later than that.

the middle one can't be 1907 - there's a belisha beacon to the right, and they didn't come in until the 30s. I also don't think it's Brixton - see the 5th photo in this set - new tracks being laid around the south side of Westminster Bridge during 1950 for a new road layout (much to London Transport's annoyance as by that time they knew it would only be in place with trams for a couple of years)

i'm not sure that the top one isn't from the same general location / time as well.

not quite sure about that.

the third one i've seen before and yes it's brixton - think the track is under repair rather than being installed - the cable system was replaced by electric conduit rather rapidly in 1904. the tram looks slightly later than that.

the middle one can't be 1907 - there's a belisha beacon to the right, and they didn't come in until the 30s. I also don't think it's Brixton - see the 5th photo in this set - new tracks being laid around the south side of Westminster Bridge during 1950 for a new road layout (much to London Transport's annoyance as by that time they knew it would only be in place with trams for a couple of years)

i'm not sure that the top one isn't from the same general location / time as well.
Yes, it's just the bottom one showing Brixton but the image came in a batch of three and it was interesting to see what goes on under the road!

I think this is the same angle as the postcard. What do others think?

yes -

1 - can just about make out 'Hinton Road' at first floor level on Mr Davies' shop

2 - the (horse) tram tracks match 1894 mapping (Hinton Road tramway did not get electrified)

3 - 1911 London Suburbs directory has 223 Coldharbour Lane (corner of Hinton Road) as "Davies, Alfred William, baker"

yes -

1 - can just about make out 'Hinton Road' at first floor level on Mr Davies' shop

2 - the (horse) tram tracks match 1894 mapping (Hinton Road tramway did not get electrified)

3 - 1911 London Suburbs directory has 223 Coldharbour Lane (corner of Hinton Road) as "Davies, Alfred William, baker"
I'd love to see what Loughborough House looked like when it was new. All its character has been destroyed in its recent shoddy conversion. .

loughborough-house-sw9-5.jpg

1950 map suggests that some of the demolition may have been done from above

and the ...ON on 214 probably Mr Ohlson, pawnbroker / second hand clothes dealer - as in this here brixton buzz piece a while back

ETA -

At that time, Loughborough Junction would have had all six platforms (the two still in use, two on the Loughborough Road curve and two on the Cambria Road curve) in business.

LCDR wording on the bridge suggests possibly not too long after the LCDR and the South Eastern entered joint management as the South Eastern and Chatham in 1898, but not sure how quickly they 're-branded' in those days.

Horse tram track says definitely before 1914 - it's a bit late to start searching out the works of reference on this.

Not sure why the Prince of Wales feathers on no. 224 (shop on corner of Loughborough Road) - 1911 directory puts this as "Barlow, Francis Robt. chemist"

Last edited:
further edits today -

South Eastern and Chatham Railway identity started 1899 not 1898

The tramway in the photograph is part of the network of the London Southern Tramways Company - Loughborough Junction was effectively the centre of their network, with lines to Camberwell Green, Vauxhall (via Stockwell Road), Brixton (terminus was Coldharbour Lane just before the junction with Brixton Road) and via Milkwood Road and Tulse Hill to West Norwood.

The tram depot on premises behind the 'Old Queens Head' on Stockwell Road (which I think has been mentioned somewhere on Urban) was one of theirs, and some of the railway arches around Loughborough Junction were used as stables / granary / workshops.

Their line towards West Norwood opened as far as Herne Hill in 1884, and through to Norwood in 1885.

The Company was taken over by the London County Council in 1906, and the lines rebuilt and electrified - Coldharbour Lane going electric in 1908 and to West Norwood in 1909. The low railway bridge in Hinton Road meant that the route was diverted via Herne Hill Road / Wanless Road for electric trams.

(above from E R Oakley's history of the LCC Tramways)

So to put it another way, the photo must date from somewhere between 1884 - 1908.

List of shops from the 1904 London Suburbs Directory (online in Leicester University collections)

north side

coldharbour1.png

south side

coldharbour2.png

An update from the Tramway Village at Crich, Derbyshire - a London tram which spent much of its working life in the Brixton patch is coming together as part of an extensive restoration

30June-LCC1-1024x682.jpg

(picture from British Trams Online)

London County Council no. 1 was new in 1932 as a prototype for a new generation of trams, and had a one-off blue / white livery - leading to it being known as 'Bluebird' (even after it reverted to standard red livery) - the new generation of trams didn't happen in London, as London Transport decided to convert tram routes to trolleybus operation instead.

It was first based at Holloway depot, and ran on Kingsway Subway routes including 33 to Norwood via Brixton.

i00004eh.jpg

(picture from LT Museum collection)

In the late 30s, it moved to Streatham Hill depot, and after the end of trams in London, it ran until 1959 in Leeds.

:)
can pin that photo down to somewhere between 1909 (LD registrations issued - source here) and 1914 when London's last horse buses ran
1895 map here (it also shows the horse tram line to the west end of Coldharbour Lane which was abandoned at the time of electrification, due to the low bridge.)
That Savoy Turkish bath place looks very exotic. There must be room for a student dissertation on Edwardian Orientalism here.

This is the Brixton I know. I felt quite emotional looking at those photos. Despite their ordinariness, they took me back. I rarely miss London in general, but Brixton has a special place in my heart in a way that only one or two neighbourhoods in the world do (Rocinha in Rio is the other main one really).

I wish I could go back there and then for a day, or maybe a few weeks.

i was in the tube station last Christmas and I missed the old takeaway place that used to be at the station before its renovation. I used to pick up a chicken pattie in cocoa bread to eat on the Victoria Line to town.

Back
Top Bottom