Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

sealion has come up with the definitive answer on the first bit (I'd found references on the earlier thread to it not having been there in one or two 1960s photos) I'll not add to that.

as to why, it may have gone up at the same time as the pavements and central reservation got barriers to stop pedestrians crossing - very much part of 1960s / 70s thinking on town / highways planning - the "let cars go as fast as possible, get pedestrians out of their way even if it means them having to walk three times as far" approach
A reminiscence from a friend who has moved in council and planning circles for years.

He said Brixton tube station was originally conceived as having an underpass under the road so it would have had an entrance on each side of Brixton Road. Things being what they are it was decided that an underpass and two entrances would be too expensive and we got the bridge instead.

Sounds a plausible theory - and the dates fit (the underground station was opened 23rd July 1971).

If you mean re-opening East Station Station, it is mentioned in the local plan as an aspiration.

The proviso is that the more railway obsessive people (such as teuchter and Crispy on here) will tell you it can;t be done due to health and safety, short platforms etc.

Not sure what the various parties have to say. The Tory leaflet majors on Mental Health, the Lib Dems on giving estate dwellers a choice about being regenerated.

Labour's tweets are all about being beauteous. Frankly my dear I couldn't give a damn!

I'll try and work or Michael Groce on the off-chance he gets in.
Lambeth Council starts review to look at business case for reopening East Brixton train station
Call for Brixton link to Overground rail network
Design team sought for East Brixton Station revival

One did try and thrust this into the public eye back in the 2014 election (and maybe contributed to the debate above)

Meanwhile if you are talking of Brixton East, the arts venue this has apparently recently closed down
Brixton East 1871 (@BrixtonEast1871) | Twitter

Yah, I have now had a proper read of the last Council feasibility study from 14 (iirc)

Think the main thing is to get the Overground committed to and then try and assess which station option is best

Brixton East didn't seem like it was a terrible option - cheaper but of course with less knowns

https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/ec-lambeth-overground-stations-study-report-2014.pdf

Reactions: CH1
Yah, I have now had a proper read of the last Council feasibility study from 14 (iirc)

Think the main thing is to get the Overground committed to and then try and assess which station option is best

Brixton East didn't seem like it was a terrible option - cheaper but of course with less knowns

https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/ec-lambeth-overground-stations-study-report-2014.pdf
Thanks. Don't you think this needs revising? All the stats will be different plus a lot more flats etc in the vicinity (more demand).

I'm not sure if I put it up before, but there used to be a Lambeth Public Transport Group (at its most vigorous run by John Stewart now of HACAN.

He did this fabulous report about "Clapham's Hidden Horror" (ie what is now Clapham High Street Overground station. Quite possibly pressure from Lambeth Public Transport group saved Clapham High Street from the same fate as East Brixton.

This is interesting: the reason why the Victoria Line was extended to Brixton and not Fulham was because it was to tie in with the proposed motorway scheme.
...plans to expand the Victoria line to Brixton were approved the following month, at an additional cost of £15 million. The Brixton extension was chosen over a possible link to Fulham thanks to the plans at the time to build a motorway through South London — and the Victoria line would have linked up with car parks to be built in Brixton.

50 years ago - how the Victoria line was built

This is interesting: the reason why the Victoria Line was extended to Brixton and not Fulham was because it was to tie in with the proposed motorway scheme.

hmm

while the plans changed quite a few times, i'm fairly sure the original plan was for the line to run to Croydon via Brixton. I'm inclined to think that the Fulham idea was an afterthought...

hmm

while the plans changed quite a few times, i'm fairly sure the original plan was for the line to run to Croydon via Brixton. I'm inclined to think that the Fulham idea was an afterthought...
Wikipedia says it was definitely a consideration at the beginning:
A tube railway running from Victoria to Walthamstow was first proposed by a Working Party set up by the British Transport Commission in 1948,[2] though that largely followed a 1946 plan for a Croydon to Finsbury Park line. The main purpose was to relieve congestion in the central area. The necessary Private Bill was introduced into Parliament in 1955. It described a line from Victoria to Walthamstow (Wood Street). There was also a proposal, though not included in the Bill, for a subsequent extension from Victoria to Fulham Broadway station on the District line

Victoria line - Wikipedia

The Brixton extension was chosen over a possible link to Fulham thanks to the plans at the time to build a motorway through South London — and the Victoria line would have linked up with car parks to be built in Brixton.
What a shit place Brixton /south London would have been if the motorway and carparks had been realised. Glad that didn't happen - what happened to put a stop to it?

Brixton town centre!!! :confused: :facepalm: :mad:
s_brixton.jpg

as to why, it may have gone up at the same time as the pavements and central reservation got barriers to stop pedestrians crossing - very much part of 1960s / 70s thinking on town / highways planning - the "let cars go as fast as possible, get pedestrians out of their way even if it means them having to walk three times as far" approach
Yes, that was my suspicion exactly!

:)

on the Brixton Buzz page, the colour(ed) photo is probably from a year or so earlier than the black and white one - having the route details sign-written round the end of each tram didn't last long, as it meant each tram was restricted to a particular route.

the three little lumps above the tram destination were lit up at night, with sliding glass 'spectacles' so that each route would show a different combination of coloured lights, so that passengers - and also tram pointsmen - could identify where the tram was going.

Norbury - Blackfriars was 3 red lights, Norbury - Westminster a single red light, Norbury - Victoria was red-red-green. This set up got replaced by service numbers in 1913 (it must have been a bit hard - especially in a fog - to tell if a light was 'amber' or a dim 'white' bulb) Norbury - Embankment via Westminster became service 16 and via Blackfriars service 18 - these numbers stayed until the end of tram operation (they were extended south to Purley in the 1920s when the LCC tram system and Croydon Corporation's tram system were joined up)

Above from E R Oakley's history of the LCC Tramways

Sign on the left would be Treble's Studio. 1904 London County Suburbs Guide (from Leicester University collection) identifies Chas F Treble, photographer at 373 Brixton Road

371 brixton rd 1904.png

and Wikimedia has his card

320px-Cabinet_card_of_photographer_Charles_F_Treble.jpg

(ugh, too many typefaces :p )

he appears also to have had a studio at 270 Lavender Hill, Battersea - again from the 1904 directory.

The business went under in 1921, by which time it was being run by a Daniel Prodger (extract from London Gazette, 25.2.21)

treble.png

He had competition across the road from Rupert Leighton, photographer, next door to the London Dental Company who appear to be offering teeth for one guinea (suppose it was better to get some teeth before having your photo taken)

414 brixton rd.png

(also from the 1904 directory)

1894 map here

slightly tenuous, but one of the trams advertises Brixton on its staircase

somewhere around 1905 - 1908 at the West Norwood 'Thurlow Arms' terminus - the route to Vauxhall crossed Brixton Road via Gresham Road and Stockwell Road

Had a search but didn't see this posted anywhere yet but I just stumbled across an episode of World In Action from 1978 concentrating on the residents of Haycroft Road (west of Briton Water Lane for those who don't know it) and the by-election at the time, published by the BFI;

Watch Black to Front - BFI Player

Leaving aside the ever-present racial tensions (or not, in the case of many of the residents) for the time being, there's some great shots of late 70's Brixton. My memory is rusty but the band performing in the first couple of minutes might be doing so in the Hoboglin/Hootanany and the youth club is in the crypt of St. Matthews church.

Had a search but didn't see this posted anywhere yet but I just stumbled across an episode of World In Action from 1978 concentrating on the residents of Haycroft Road (west of Briton Water Lane for those who don't know it) and the by-election at the time, published by the BFI;

Watch Black to Front - BFI Player

Leaving aside the ever-present racial tensions (or not, in the case of many of the residents) for the time being, there's some great shots of late 70's Brixton. My memory is rusty but the band performing in the first couple of minutes might be doing so in the Hoboglin/Hootanany and the youth club is in the crypt of St. Matthews church.

Thanks for this. Interesting to see Brixton in late 70s. Couple of years before I came. Then it was seen as example of immigration/ race relations as they were termed then. Brixton hadn't been gentrified then.

Given recent deportations of Windrush generation it was particularly annoying to see the Conservative candidate say that the Tories wouldn't be sending people back.

From several comments in the newsreel sounds like Thatcher ( not sure if she was leader of party then) had made recent speech about the country being "swamped".

Been trying to find more about this:

She spoke of “people of a different culture” who threatened to “swamp” the British character: “And the British character has done so much for democracy, for law, and done so much throughout the world, that if there is any fear that it might be swamped people are going to react…”

From Thatcher was catalyst who pushed UK towards their split with Europe

Her latest biographer, Robin Harris, who was a speech writer for Thatcher for many years, stresses that she was very close in her views to Enoch Powell and advocated that prime minister Ted Heath should not dismiss him for his racist speech which said the Commonwealth immigration policy was “like watching a nation piling up its own funeral pyre”.

The National Front were gaining votes in that period.

The program at end is rather in hindsight over optimistic. The Youth Worker in the local pub ( the Effra?) speech on how Thatcher had harmed herself with swamp speech.

Hoboglin/Hootanany
yes, it even says George Canning on a poster behind the band.

Thanks for that, I was living just round the corner at the time, but didn't have a telly and have never seen it before. It's worth looking at just to see how poor and decrepit the area was back then, conveyed quite well by the boarded up shops, roofs with holes and a beaten up old van used as an election vehicle.

A couple of weeks after that election was the big Anti Nazi League carnival in Brockwell Park.

Back
Top Bottom