Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

Cool, I like drones, I have a couple of cheap ones that I can't use very often because I live in a city. The flying is very impressive but it lacks jeopardy.

There was a ditching at the Bournemouth Air Show today, one of the wing walker planes had engine problems. Minor injuries, very wet plane.
It's coming...

I was thinking about that, there is an aerodynamic effect that trains experience when entering a tunnel I read about a while back, I googled it but couldn't find the details. Just loads of academic papers.

Obviously a train is a big fat lump fitting into a slightly larger hole but the entry/exit of even a small thing like the RB plane can't be entirely neutral?

Anyway, after I've done the Hindhead tunnel in a Tiger Moth I'll let you know how it goes.
I think the ‘ground effect’ thing with flight is well known, but doubt there has been much research into ‘roof effect’.

Still, one minor mistake/ second of distraction, and it’s an almost certain death.

On the subject of wind effects, I wonder how much preliminary research the pilot/ team conducted. I was recently reading an article on the bin Laden raid, in which of of course one of the choppers crash landed, and when you think about it, it’s astonishing the best kitted, financed and experienced armed forces in the world weren’t yet aware in 2011 of the dangerous wind effects a helicopter landing on a spot surrounded by high walls would cause.

I don't think it's that simple. The pilot of Chalk 1 on Neptune's Spear would have been very familiar with Vortex Ring State and how to get into it by flying close to walls. Nobody could say exactly when and how the MH-X would enter VRS over OBL's dacha and in what environmental conditions. What else could they do? They couldn't bin the whole operation because it might be a bit of an aviation challenge; they just had to take a chance and largely got away with it.

I was thinking about that, there is an aerodynamic effect that trains experience when entering a tunnel I read about a while back, I googled it but couldn't find the details. Just loads of academic papers.

Obviously a train is a big fat lump fitting into a slightly larger hole but the entry/exit of even a small thing like the RB plane can't be entirely neutral?

Anyway, after I've done the Hindhead tunnel in a Tiger Moth I'll let you know how it goes.
A train passing through a single-track tunnel must push a large mass of air ahead of itself and out of the exit portal. An aeroplane on the other hand works by drawing air in from ahead and squirting it out behind and out of the entry portal. It’d be an interesting aerodynamic question if the aeroplane could create a partial vacuum ahead of itself. I. K. Brunel was ahead of his time with his atmospheric railway running through Dawlish of course.

A train passing through a single-track tunnel must push a large mass of air ahead of itself and out of the exit portal. An aeroplane on the other hand works by drawing air in from ahead and squirting it out behind and out of the entry portal. It’d be an interesting aerodynamic question if the aeroplane could create a partial vacuum ahead of itself. I. K. Brunel was ahead of his time with his atmospheric railway running through Dawlish of course.
But what if there was a treadmill in the tunnel…

…The pilot of Chalk 1 on Neptune's Spear

I love American operational names. Do the teams get to make them up themselves or is there a department at the Pentagon filled with Maddison Avenue types who do it I wonder?

More interesting, and probably not much less secure than our random ones.

Looking like BA will be pulling out of Gatwick for short haul flights, due to an inability to a deal with pilots

Funnily enough, in the last day or so reports have emerged claiming the eyebrow-raising letter of intent from BA parent company IAG in 2019 to buy 200 737-Max is dead in the water, and they’re to launch a new tender for narrowbodies inviting both Boeing and Airbus to bid. I wonder if this move is a cause (or consequence) of it.

The Max preorder was always an odd one anyway. Even if Covid hadn’t happened, 200 frames was a rather large prospective order. Airbus weren’t even invited to bid at all. And the A320 is not only as capable, it is already integrated into both BA and Iberia’s fleets. And to cap it all, the 737 is bulk loaded rather than taking containers, which makes it a pretty inefficient choice for Heathrow operations.

What it did though was to give the 737 Max a massive PR shot in the arm when it needed it most, during the height of its recent safety problem. I wonder if that was the purpose all alone. But whoever might land the eventual new plane order, I doubt it’ll be anywhere near 200 frames.

That purchase never made any sense.

Maybe the inevitable shorthaul low cost venture IAG launch will take the unwanted 737 Maxes.

Not a bad plane now that it’s fixed, but better fit for an airline with 737s already, never mind the issue of being incapable of taking containers at hub airports that are not primed for bulk loading.

On unrelated BA news, for the first time ever I’ve found flights to Madrid cheaper with them than with all other airlines including low cost (not counting Ryanair because they would never be an option). Strange times…

If you can get the Iberia codeshare you’ll get a long haul plane which is on one of the rotations at present

Yeah, A350’s.

I have flown BA 777 to and from Madrid before, Club Europe gets a flat bed seat, for a >2 hour flight 😀

Looking like BA will be pulling out of Gatwick for short haul flights, due to an inability to a deal with pilots

So does everyone now wait and see if those services will be replaced by another operator who can hire pilots willing to settle for worse terms than the BA ones would?

Yeah, A350’s.

I have flown BA 777 to and from Madrid before, Club Europe gets a flat bed seat, for a >2 hour flight 😀
I got a premium economy seat aboard a 777 to Madrid on an economy ticket, which was a nice surprise.

On the flip side, my OH has today flown to Jordan and decided to upgrade to Club Europe as they were offering £99 upgrades, which is insane considering the usual difference in price for that route. As a five-hour flight, a big reclining seat would have been nice, but BA uses short haul configured A321s so no such luck.

Worse still, if I understood her brief text correctly, there were no entertainment screens on the seats, and one is supposed to watch the onboard entertainment via your own device. Is that really possible, or have I misunderstood her message?

ETA Royal Jordanian use 787s so business class seats would have been much better, but their service is generally shit and I doubt they’re offering £99 upgrades.

Yeah, A350’s.

I’d spend 90 minutes of that flight just playing with the bed to the annoyance of my neighbors a d the flight attendants…

I got a premium economy seat aboard a 777 to Madrid on an economy ticket, which was a nice surprise.

On the flip side, my OH has today flown to Jordan and decided to upgrade to Club Europe as they were offering £99 upgrades, which is insane considering the usual difference in price for that route. As a five-hour flight, a big reclining seat would have been nice, but BA uses short haul configured A321s so no such luck.

Worse still, if I understood her brief text correctly, there were no entertainment screens on the seats, and one is supposed to watch the onboard entertainment via your own device. Is that really possible, or have I misunderstood her message?

ETA Royal Jordanian use 787s so business class seats would have been much better, but their service is generally shit and I doubt they’re offering £99 upgrades.

BA sadly got rid of the mid haul A321s, they used to go to Jordan and sometimes Cyprus (which is when I got to fly them).

I’ve flown Club Europe quite a lot - it was quite nice in the old 767s and I had a lot of Avios to burn - but it’s just not worth it in a crappy Airbus A320/1

Not in itself but she she was bringing lots of stuff to her mum and was overweight, so combined with the second checked bag allowance, plus free drinks and food at the airport lounge plus better service on board, the extra £99 seem decent value for money. I would never do if it cost the usual £400+ per leg though.

Jordan has always been odd that it not a Club World route when BA offers Club World and First to Tel Aviv. Cairo has been demoted to a Club Europe type route now too. That is BA trying to attract Israelis flying to the US.

The old 767’s were nice, but needed the middle seats as the window ones had no space between them. Sadly my last flight was FCO-LHR in 1D, was spoiled by a bunch of braying bankers who tried to take over all the overhead bins and spent the whole flight loudly tried to outdo each other on New York shit they’d got up to. Walloped one very hard on the head with my bag when we got to Heathrow.

Well, the missus reported a pretty unsatisfactory business class experience overall. Little veggie availability at the lounge at T5, and apparently the only way to watch the IFE on the plane was by downloading it to one’s own device. But her phone was out of juice and no charging spot by her seat, so she had fuck all to watch all flight.

On the plus side, the FA kept bringing her booze throughout the flight, and despite BA failing to notice she’s been long registered as a veggie, and telling her at check in they’d try their best but it was unlikely they could provide a veggie meal without notice, they did just that.

I’ll be joining her next week. I bought my economy return ticket a couple of weeks ago, but in view of this £99 each way upgrade offer I thought I might as well. Never in a million years I thought I would ever be able to book a return business class flight to AMM with BA for a total of £675. Usually in the region of £1,600 at the least :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom