Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gen V- The Boys' spin-off

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
Based on the first three episodes, this probably deserves its own thread. I was concerned that the makers were going to dial down the tone due to it featuring teenagers, which would have killed it off as a worthwhile sister show. But it holds its own surprisingly well. Great first three episodes.

Iknorite!

But I'm also enjoying that these characters seem more real, and involved with each other than The Boys were. The emotional side of the writing captures Teen University very well.

Plus it's still Hella gory and twisted.

"tell me that's the biggest dick you've ever seen".... 😂

It's pretty good, but it is very teen drama. The characters are pretty stock, the plots very straightforward and the tone is dialled down (very strong on the ick, but lacking the Dickensian horrors of the parent programme). It's only been four episodes tho, plenty of time to grow.

It's pretty good, but it is very teen drama. The characters are pretty stock, the plots very straightforward and the tone is dialled down (very strong on the ick, but lacking the Dickensian horrors of the parent programme). It's only been four episodes tho, plenty of time to grow.
I am not sure is that much toned down, if anything at all. It is certainly significantly more explicit and fucked up than any other series out there, never mind teenage series. Perhaps a lower profanity and outrageous set-ups count than The Boys, but it still makes Sex Education feel like The Famous Five. The aforementioned shrinking girl’s antics in the first episode being a prime example :D

I'm really liking it. But that was never in doubt. A big fan of the Boys. So was always going to like it, anyways. I do like the Marie actress. She is really cute. They made an excellent choice casting her.

Here is Marie easter egg from season 3

I am not sure is that much toned down, if anything at all. It is certainly significantly more explicit and fucked up than any other series out there, never mind teenage series. Perhaps a lower profanity and outrageous set-ups count than The Boys, but it still makes Sex Education feel like The Famous Five. The aforementioned shrinking girl’s antics in the first episode being a prime example :D
nah, it's just written for teenage boys. The genders of the writers of each of those series' is bloody obvious.

nah, it's just written for teenage boys. The genders of the writers of each of those series' is bloody obvious.

The two Gen V showrunners are both women - Agent Carter showrunners Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters - and they say there's a lot of women in the writers' room.

This interview with Fazekas contains a couple of spoilers:

Worst episode of the season. everything seemed rushed. they figured out what was happening very quickly. very dull episode.

Another meh episode. soldier boy appearance was more fan service than anything else. pointless guest appearance.

Does it have the kiwi bloke trying to do a ray winstone accent? Coz that was the best bit of the boys.

That reminds me...

I finished last week, but Prime insisted on it hanging around in my 'Continue Watching' bit.

"I've bloody finished it! I got right up to the credits" I thought to myself, but then decided I'd fire it up to prove they were wrong.

Lo and behold, there was the ending I remembered and the final credits. Fifteen seconds later, hang on, what's this? Ohhhhh...

I am watching this before I start on S4 of The Boys.
Really enjoying it. Even more on the nose in its critique of consumerism and social media, but that’s fine by me.
I liked the ‘non-binary’ supe, Jordan. I put non-binary in inverted commas, cos perhaps genderfluid is more accurate, as surely someone with the ability to switch from male to female and back is binary as fuck? Or am I being pedantic?
Anyway, I enjoyed all the smarmy baddies being awful and venal, while also providing some of the funniest moments, such as Tek
Knight’s compulsion to fuck all the inanimate holes he sees.

Finished now. Very good.
Though I was shocked to read that Chance Perdamo, who played Andre, was killed in a motorcycle accident in March. :(

Back
Top Bottom