Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

G20: Getting to the truth- the death of Ian Tomlinson RIP

Er, no. If an innocent man has been killed and police action may be to blame, why is anybody else required to prove not just themselves,but their "side", spotless before considering it worthy of investigation?

So you've seen that, yet still think there shouldn't be any outcry over the police's actions? :hmm:

[eta]
Oh yeah, I forgot, you're an "anarchist" that works in the city

Any outcry over this (ie: this incident, not the handling of the demo generally) should wait until more facts are known / the IPCC issues a preliminary report.

Any outcry over this (ie: this incident, not the handling of the demo generally) should wait until more facts are known / the IPCC issues a preliminary report.
I bet that's exactly the same thing you'd suggest if it was one of your colleagues?

Yesterday, a CP Inspector told me I was "making up stories", "just want to blame the police", and should "stop my lying", after I'd only asked him what he was basing his version of events on, which he was angrily expounding into some poor girl's ear.

Problem is, past experience suggests that the government/police PR machine will want to establish their preferred version of events firmly in the public mind without waiting for the verdict.

How many people today still think that for example the unfortunate Mr Menezes was 'wearing a bulky jacket, trailing wires and acting suspiciously'?

How many people are going to recall the more or less imaginary 'hail of thrown bottles' and think that was the cause of this unfortunate guy's death?

I bet that's exactly the same thing you'd suggest if it was one of your colleagues?

Yesterday, a CP Inspector told me I was "making up stories", "just want to blame the police", and should "stop my lying", after I'd only asked him what he was basing his version of events on, which he was angrily expounding into some poor girl's ear.

It is what I would suggest if it was one of my colleagues - though for that matter I would prefer an IPCC investigation and full inquest into it anyway, since even if it has happened as initially described by Police there will always be people who will claim a cover-up has occured.

What that inspector said is his business, not mine.

Not only that, but presumably there'd be loads of empty bottles on the ground in the photos. Plus shots of police 'ducking' etc.

indeed. last wednesday was possibly the only demo i have been at over the past 25+ years years where i can honestly say that the police were at no point 'pelted' with anything, bottles or otherwise. to say they were is simply bullshit.

Yes i would imagine the whole of the City is covered by CCTV 24 hours a day every day.

except for the story doing the rounds last week that all central london cctv would need to be switched off cos of some legal chicanery. peculiar as always,

That wouldn't affect Westminster much at all. Every fucking square inch of the borough is covered by private cameras, the footage from which can certainly be grabbed as evidence. I've tried to play "Metal Gear Solid" in Westminster, staying out of view of every camera for as long as possible, and you can go about five metres before game over.

Still, the switch-off story is extremely convenient and if it turns out that this poor guy really was killed by the cops, will provide a more believable excuse than 'all the cameras just spontaneously stopped working' when they come to exonerate the cops of all misdeeds.

How many people today still think that for example the unfortunate Mr Menezes was 'wearing a bulky jacket, trailing wires and acting suspiciously'?

How many people are going to recall the more or less imaginary 'hail of thrown bottles' and think that was the cause of this unfortunate guy's death?

Yes Bernie, unfortunately we live in very cynical times! the police moved very fast to get their story out first, and it stinks of something unpleasent! need an inquiry into this! and if anything should emerge, then the policemen/policewomen need to be held to account and prosecuted for murder. To much background information and not enough facts!

The photos in the Observer today are pretty damning. They show Tomlinson on the floor in front of a row of cops. No flying bottles can be seen and the only person helping him up is another protester.

but isn't that the point? within the city of london, it is questionable whether there actually is film footage, because of the westminster blackout.... of course,,,,

After all, we wouldn't want to let a little thing like video evidence of cop involvement in the death of an innocent citizen damage police morale now would we?

So of course the cameras weren't working and the police will be exonerated of any possible involvement in the poor guys death. It would be extremely naive to expect any other outcome whatever actually happened.

The photos in the Observer today are pretty damning. They show Tomlinson on the floor in front of a row of cops. No flying bottles can be seen and the only person helping him up is another protester.

The bottles put him, there. Hillsborough 9 days day aways from the 20 year memorial. Have things changed?

city of london cops only police the square mile. westminster are a much bigger area.

But city of london is not the same area as Westminster, they're 2 separate local authorities. CCTV within CoL will be the responsibility of CoL, not westminster.

londonmap.jpg

Back
Top Bottom