Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

FTSE 100 chief executives 'earn average salary within 3 days'

You're opposed to life getting easier? We work far too hard as it is, I'd welcome more widespread automation if it means more free time for people.

It's not going to be lovely free time where I can lounge on the beach and pursue artistic goals like making donk. It's gonna be queing for foodbanks and engaging in jobsearch bullshit to keep us hand to mouth. The only way CEOs and their friends stay rich is by keeping us poor. Automation will be great for some, but shit for the majority of people and life on the planet.

I don't think we're that far from being able to train an AI to litigate. It's mostly based on being able to cite historical precedent anyway.

AI is mainly being used for document analysis rather than case law.

AI is mainly being used for document analysis rather than case law.

We can safely deduce from Buddy’s assertion that the law is mainly based on ‘historical precedent’ that legal matters - like the nature of capital - isn’t his strong point..

You're opposed to life getting easier? We work far too hard as it is, I'd welcome more widespread automation if it means more free time for people.
Come on, you're on a wind-up, aren't you?
By 'free time', I assume you mean free time to search for non-existent and zero hours jobs?
I do realise that automation is inevitable and people are going to lose their jobs as a result but how on earth do you deduce that people losing their jobs equates to happier people with lots of free time? It's absolute nonsense.

Apropos of nothing, really, but I was reading about Well next to the Sea, a sleepy ex-fishing village in North Norfolk. 37% of property is actually a second home, while the price of buying a modest starter home runs to 14 x the average income. As well as the insane housing discrepancy, the town itself has become utterly dependent on tourism and seasonal wages - a low skill, low paid, no fucking hope, enclave of privilege and rural poverty, standing side by side. The only solution I can see is a kind of reverse enclosures movement where we simply take it back. Labour's relationship to the means of production is less of a clear cut division than the simple fact of property ownership. I know people who make more money from the annual equity on their house, than their salary...and as a numbers game, the proportion of home owners to renters has equalised in just one generation. The chance of owning any sort of home has become vanishingly small...with a generation of renters who will never be able to afford to buy... while a fucking demented property market (the bribe paid to lessen the deepening austerity of wage stagnation and crap jobs) will, I think, become the locus of real discontent.
Apols for irrelevant rambling...automation is yet another blow, removing any sense of pride, skill, community. Wages are not the only thing lost when labour is seen as expendable. Wells used to be a poor but cohesive working village...not some seasonal service repository for London wankers working in financial services (Antique shops, restaurants and a faint nod to 'heritage...only open half the year).

Last edited:
Apropos of nothing, really, but I was reading about Well next to the Sea, a sleepy ex-fishing village in North Norfolk. 37% of property is actually a second home, while the price of buying a modest starter home runs to 14 x the average income. As well as the insane housing discrepancy, the town itself has become utterly dependent on tourism and seasonal wages - a low skill, low paid, no fucking hope, enclave of privilege and rural poverty, standing side by side. The only solution I can see is a kind of reverse enclosures movement where we simply take it back. Labour's relationship to the means of production is less of a clear cut division than the simple fact of property ownership. I know people who make more money from the annual equity on their house, than their salary...and as a numbers game, the proportion of home owners to renters has equalised in just one generation. The chance of owning any sort of home has become vanishingly small...with a generation of renters who will never be able to afford to buy... while a fucking demented property market (the bribe paid to lessen the deepening austerity of wage stagnation and crap jobs) will, I think, become the locus of real discontent.
Apols for irrelevant rambling...automation is yet another blow, removing any sense of pride, skill, community. Wages are not the only thing lost when labour is seen as expendable. Wells used to be a poor but cohesive working village...not some seasonal service repository for London wankers working in financial services

You mean Wells-next-the-Sea? The sugarbeet munchers would string you up for getting the name wrong!

Wells is pretty much representative of most North Norfolk coastal towns & villages (my parents live in one). Loads of 2nd-homers, loads of incomers (commuting from Norwich to London sees Thorpe Station packed to the gills from about 6.30-10am, then from about 5-8pm), bugger-all affordable housing for the children of locals.

Indeed. Still, I know how to pronounce Happisburgh and Postwick...

So do I. Comes from my paternal family coming from about couple of miles north of Happisburgh (Bacton).
Still, it's a great source of laughter, even after half a century, to hear someone say "Happys-burg". :D

Come on, you're on a wind-up, aren't you?
Only a little bit. ;)
By 'free time', I assume you mean free time to search for non-existent and zero hours jobs?
I do realise that automation is inevitable and people are going to lose their jobs as a result but how on earth do you deduce that people losing their jobs equates to happier people with lots of free time? It's absolute nonsense.
I guess I'm thinking in a much longer timeframe than you are. Of course, for someone right now working a job that can be made redundant through automation, the future is bleak, and there's not much option apart from the shitty gig economy and a lifetime of making already rich people richer.

But I believe that within a few generations, we'll have automated so much, including highly-skilled work like surgery and design, that (combined with a change in societal attitudes towards wealth) the average person will need to spend far fewer hours a week in work.

Back
Top Bottom