Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Firestick Setup Tips and Tricks

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
Got an older Firestick off Freecycle, I know there have been a few past threads about the things, but not sure whether info there is out of date - if anyone could help me with current up to date setup including recommendations about what VPN to use (preferably very cheap!) and what free apps to put on it and how to do so, I'd be most grateful.

kodi was my go to with older firesticks but its messing around find what still avalible

been a whiles since i've been messing around with the apps is popcorn time still going :hmm:

For films and tv series:
Stremio
Cinema HD
FilmPlus
Syncler

Don't bother with a VPN invest in Real Debrid instead as it accesses more streams on most sites . You set up an account buy a sub and then normally add to the above in settings

Kodi is good but slow and complicated unless you've been there before, but even then it's slow .

If you want Sky movies/sports etc then there are plenty of IPTV services about at around a tenner a month.

Hello. I haven’t a clue here. We’d like to watch normal uk channels but having no luck so far.
Any pointers greatly appreciated :)

You need the AP belonging to channel's you want to watch installed on the stick,
iplayer for BBC , and so on,
I think you can find the APs to install from the home screen.

Lol I didn't see what forum this was and thought it was like devilsticks on fire

You need the AP belonging to channel's you want to watch installed on the stick,
iplayer for BBC , and so on,
I think you can find the APs to install from the home screen.
Ok. Can you say that again, as if you were telling a small, stupid child?
I appreciate your reply but haven't a fucking clue what you mean :D

Oh, do you mean app?
I was hoping for an all in one, Freeview type affair so it's kinda like watching 'normal' tv, in that all those channels are in one place.

Beginning to regret leaving Sky now

Got an older Firestick off Freecycle, I know there have been a few past threads about the things, but not sure whether info there is out of date - if anyone could help me with current up to date setup including recommendations about what VPN to use (preferably very cheap!) and what free apps to put on it and how to do so, I'd be most grateful.
Miy Fire stick 2 got really slow so reluctantly bought a new Firestick 4k Max on offer and the difference in speed is night and day. It's Prime Sale today plus you can get £2.99 back plus a further 20% (I think) trade-in refunded when you send your old fire stick back to them. I think mine came to £28

Oh, do you mean app?
I was hoping for an all in one, Freeview type affair so it's kinda like watching 'normal' tv, in that all those channels are in one place.

Beginning to regret leaving Sky now
It is the Amazon firestick?
When you plug it into the tv, it will connect to the wi-fi then display a home screen with app's for youtube,and other channels including ones for the terrestrial channels ITV Ch.5 Ch.4 etc.
you need to load these for- instance i player,
sign in (once then it remembers)
from then on you can watch BBC same with Netflix and stuff.

It is the Amazon firestick?
When you plug it into the tv, it will connect to the wi-fi then display a home screen with app's for youtube,and other channels including ones for the terrestrial channels ITV Ch.5 Ch.4 etc.
you need to load these for- instance i player,
sign in (once then it remembers)
from then on you can watch BBC same with Netflix and stuff.
Yeah, Amazon.
I wanted an all in one app for uk tv, like Freeview or similar. I've read quite a few articles about how to do it but nothing really seems to work.

Apparently ViewTv will do it but I can't figure out how to get an account with them

Ah, I see.
I just put the separate apps on my Mum's firestick and don't watch TV myself .

On a positive note I
Can recommend the Ethernet adapter
that allows a wired connection to the firestick if your Wi-Fi is duff.

Plex is amazing for streaming media to your TV that you downloaded on another device. And it worked way better of my cheap Firestick then my PS4.

danski - did you get sorted with your Firestick? Can you just bin your Freeview box and have a wonderland of telly inc Netflix/amazon/normal telly etc? Can you record on it?

The39thStep - those sites you mentioned above for streaming - are they free or paid for?

I've never really looked at it before but I want to cut costs by ditching my landline and only paying for internet. Usually I dl unavailable films/series on my laptop and watch on my TV via usb - can I just stream then? If I want to watch sport, I stream onto my laptop, could I do this via the telly with a Firestick?

Epona, how did you get on?

Ta.

danski - did you get sorted with your Firestick? Can you just bin your Freeview box and have a wonderland of telly inc Netflix/amazon/normal telly etc? Can you record on it?

The39thStep - those sites you mentioned above for streaming - are they free or paid for?

I've never really looked at it before but I want to cut costs by ditching my landline and only paying for internet. Usually I dl unavailable films/series on my laptop and watch on my TV via usb - can I just stream then? If I want to watch sport, I stream onto my laptop, could I do this via the telly with a Firestick?

Ta.
We didn’t enjoy it. There was no central guide, like we were used to on sky. It all felt really fragmented with the different apps.
Went went back to sky after a really good offer was presented :(

Sweet FA your experience might differ if you know what you want to watch prior to viewing. We (at least, when we watch together) are not very focused and flick through the channels to find something or failing that, we probably have a series on the go we can fall back on.

We have sky stream now which only needs broadband

Sweet FA your experience might differ if you know what you want to watch prior to viewing. We (at least, when we watch together) are not very focused and flick through the channels to find something or failing that, we probably have a series on the go we can fall back on.

We have sky stream now which only needs broadband
Ah so there's not like a central front end where you can flick through channels like on freeview?

Ta.
The film/ series ones are all free , there are others out there as well . It’s worth paying though ( it’s peanuts ) for Real-Debrid as you access more streams and with less users .

Ah so there's not like a central front end where you can flick through channels like on freeview?
Not really. The Home Screen just has all the apps for each channel group which then boots up if you want to watch any channels from that app, iPlayer, for example.
There is a live tv guide but the channels that appear are a bit weird and not the big channels
I think there might be ways to get that all set up how you might want but I gave up as it seemed like real faff. Ymmv

Back
Top Bottom