Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Films you have seen at the cinema 2023

The Lite passes look ok, though. I missed the London one this year, but last year I saw three films. Cost me more than 50 quid.
If you're a BFI member, it's typically £17 a ticket (£20 I think for the bigger films/Southbank Centre/gala performances).

I like seeing films that might not otherwise get a release so i bite the bullet. (And the q&as I've seen this year have been better than usual too.)

I rarely went to the cinema when I lived in London. Can afford it up here. Vue cost £5.99 and my local independents Hyde Park Picture House and Cottage Road cost from £6-9.
Yeah, I've been to the Hyde Park Picture House, long time ago back when they had a smoking section! Could have a spliff while watching the film. Glad it is still there.

I almost always hate the q&as.
Oh yeah, they're normally terrible. But this year, they've definitely been better.

One after a Chilean film was discussing the legacy of Pinochet, parallels with Brazil -- one of the producers was Brazilian -- and that one of the actors portraying a key henchman of Pinochet's had been tortured by the regime and spent a decade in exile in London.

After a Mexican one, the director elaborated on his portayal of corruption at all levels in Mexican society etc.

That stuff is interesting. And not a single audience member has mentioned Tarkovsky yet. (Am seeing a load more films between now and Sunday though so there is still time.)

We went to see The Great Escaper. It's a nice little film. It's not spectacular in any way but very pleasant telling of a story.

Our nearest cinema has Tea tickets so applying our meerkat 2 for 1 it was £6, only £3 each!. A nice way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Just putting my list of films I’ve booked to see at LIFF 2023, as a way of holding myself to account so I actually go see all of them. And to smugly show off my good fortune and excellent taste, naturally
  • The Lady Vanishes
  • La Bête Humaine
  • Restore Point
  • Animalia
  • Strangers On A Train
  • The Delinquents
  • How To Have Sex
  • The Animal Kingdom
  • Poor Things
  • High Noon
  • The Narrow Margin
  • Holding Up The Sky
  • Another Body
  • Shadow Of The Vampire (35mm)
  • Scala!!!
  • Knit’s Island
  • Anatomy Of A Fall
  • Inshallah A Boy
  • The Bikeriders
  • Monster
  • Your Fat Friend
  • Ramona
  • Runaway Train
  • Chronicles Of A Wandering Saint
  • Snowpiercer
  • I Used To Be Funny
  • Mutt
  • The Sweet East
  • Angel Applicant
  • The Settlers
  • Daaaaaali!
  • From Where We Stand
  • The Feeling That The Time For Doing Something Has Passed
  • Zazie Dans Le Metro
  • Raging Grace
  • The Funeral
  • Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person
  • Red Rooms
  • River
  • Sci-Fi Shorts
  • Tish
  • Horror Shorts
  • The Hunger
  • The Incident
  • The Taking Of Pelham 123
  • The Taste Of Things
  • All Of Us Strangers
  • Samsara
  • Mutiny In Heaven: The Birthday Party
  • Celluloid Undeground
  • The Holdovers
  • KIDDO
  • Sira
  • Tiger Stripes
  • Hundreds Of Beavers
  • Mad Cats
  • #Manhole
  • Evil Does Not Exist
  • Sweet Dreams
  • Conann
  • Totem
  • The Breaking Ice
  • The Hypnosis
  • Fallen Leaves
  • In Camera
  • Sky Peals
  • Hoard
  • The Monk & The Gun
  • Slow
  • Metal & Melancholy
[

Just putting my list of films I’ve booked to see at LIFF 2023, as a way of holding myself to account so I actually go see all of them. And to smugly show off my good fortune and excellent taste, naturally
  • The Lady Vanishes
  • La Bête Humaine
  • Restore Point
  • Animalia
  • Strangers On A Train
  • The Delinquents
  • How To Have Sex
  • The Animal Kingdom
  • Poor Things
  • High Noon
  • The Narrow Margin
  • Holding Up The Sky
  • Another Body
  • Shadow Of The Vampire (35mm)
  • Scala!!!
  • Knit’s Island
  • Anatomy Of A Fall
  • Inshallah A Boy
  • The Bikeriders
  • Monster
  • Your Fat Friend
  • Ramona
  • Runaway Train
  • Chronicles Of A Wandering Saint
  • Snowpiercer
  • I Used To Be Funny
  • Mutt
  • The Sweet East
  • Angel Applicant
  • The Settlers
  • Daaaaaali!
  • From Where We Stand
  • The Feeling That The Time For Doing Something Has Passed
  • Zazie Dans Le Metro
  • Raging Grace
  • The Funeral
  • Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person
  • Red Rooms
  • River
  • Sci-Fi Shorts
  • Tish
  • Horror Shorts
  • The Hunger
  • The Incident
  • The Taking Of Pelham 123
  • The Taste Of Things
  • All Of Us Strangers
  • Samsara
  • Mutiny In Heaven: The Birthday Party
  • Celluloid Undeground
  • The Holdovers
  • KIDDO
  • Sira
  • Tiger Stripes
  • Hundreds Of Beavers
  • Mad Cats
  • #Manhole
  • Evil Does Not Exist
  • Sweet Dreams
  • Conann
  • Totem
  • The Breaking Ice
  • The Hypnosis
  • Fallen Leaves
  • In Camera
  • Sky Peals
  • Hoard
  • The Monk & The Gun
  • Slow
  • Metal & Melancholy
[
Saw a few of the new ones at the LFF. Enjoy!

Killers of the Flower Moon - new Scorsese Western crime thriller based on the book of the same time about a series of murders in the Osage nation during the 1920 after oil was discovered on tribal land. It's a indulgently long film - almost 3 and half hours - but absolutely epic. Gripping, tense, and heart-breaking and occasionally very funny with amazing performances from Lily Gladstone and Leonardo DiCaprio. Loved it, if they’d shaved off about 30 minutes or so it would be my movie of the year.

Sadly disappointed with Killers of the Flower Moon.
Not being facetious in saying that more than a hour should have been cut..
Plodding, ponderous and repetitive.
No thriller, no suspense - nothing unveiled or revealed..
This would have been better made as a documentary.
Too many scenes between De Niro and DeCaprio conspiring..
Then we see the results of their conversations carried out scene by scene..🥱
Lily Gladstone deserves the plaudits that she is receiving..
I'm still not sure about the ending..
It ties up things that happened after the events depicted..
But if feels a little off kilter with the slow pace of the previous 3 hours or so..
On the plus side the film has made me want to discover more about the Osage Indian murders..

Killers of the Flower Moon - new Scorsese Western crime thriller based on the book of the same time about a series of murders in the Osage nation during the 1920 after oil was discovered on tribal land. It's a indulgently long film - almost 3 and half hours - but absolutely epic. Gripping, tense, and heart-breaking and occasionally very funny with amazing performances from Lily Gladstone and Leonardo DiCaprio. Loved it, if they’d shaved off about 30 minutes or so it would be my movie of the year.

Really enjoyed it. It was long for sure but I was gripped throughout and it never dragged. Completely agree that Lily Gladstone and Leonard Cappucino were fantastic and De Niro was also on top form. Definitely recommend it....

A few recently

How to Have Sex - quite a good study of female friendship, growing up and the pressures of having sex as a teenager. Somewhat different experience to when I visited Crete to look at the ancient ruins. Great performance by the lead. Don’t google the title at work.

The Shining - Halloween special last night. Hadn’t seen it before, loved the atmosphere of the film, and some of the camerawork. Jack Nicholson a bit obvious as someone who goes a bit crazy I thought. Like a lot of films that are part of the popular culture firmament, part of the experience of a first time watch is ruined by the famous bits being endlessly memed / parodied. Enjoyed it though.

Tonight - Citizen Kane as part of the Sight and Sound top 10 list season Picturehouse have been doing. Not seen that either.

Last edited:
A few recently

How to Have Sex - quite a good study of female friendship, growing up and the pressures of having sex as a teenager. Somewhat experience to when I visited Crete to look at the ancient ruins. Great performance by the lead. Don’t google the title at work.

I’ve been really looking forward to seeing this ever since the post-Cannes buzz around it.

Back
Top Bottom